Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:59 PM   #11

My concern with the Casio is video. You can not zoom during video, correct? I really want the camera to be good at both. Not perfect with one but so-so with the other.

The more I am thinking about this, the more I think I would prefer a good low light camera and would be willing to give up zoom. It doesn't seem like the ZS series are that great in low light, especially video. Starting to lean towards a Canon.
Suzanne74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 1:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne74 View Post
My concern with the Casio is video. You can not zoom during video, correct?
Correct.

Quote:
The more I am thinking about this, the more I think I would prefer a good low light camera and would be willing to give up zoom. It doesn't seem like the ZS series are that great in low light, especially video. Starting to lean towards a Canon.
Well brand has nothing to do with it. The Canon SX210 isn't good in low light either. The poor low-light performance is due to the tiny sensors in the pocket superzooms. The Canon S90 is good in low-light but it doesn't do HD video. The Panasonic LX3 has even slightly less zoom than the S90 but it does do HD video.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:02 AM   #13

Just for the record, the Panasonic LX3 does do HD video, but you cannot zoom.

The Casio FH-100 does do standard 480 X 640 video at 30fps and you cannot zoom

If low light photography is a priority, you should be looking at the Canon S-90, the G-11, or the Samsung EX-1.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jun 25, 2010 at 11:26 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 10:08 AM   #14

Thanks everyone for your help. Still deciding. My guess is that since the majority of my pics will be of kids and family, low light should be more of the priority for now. I don't forsee lots of travel adventures in our future with a newborn. So many options. I have to narrow it down. Thanks again.
Suzanne74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 3:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your help. Still deciding. My guess is that since the majority of my pics will be of kids and family, low light should be more of the priority for now. I don't forsee lots of travel adventures in our future with a newborn. So many options. I have to narrow it down. Thanks again.

Hi Suzanne,

Since you’re still deciding and low light is more of a priority now with minimal travel predicted (less zoom required), maybe wait and see how the Samsung TL350 (WB2000 outside of the U.S.) turns out. It's rumored to be released in August 2010.

The TL350/WB2000 is a small P&S and will have 10MP backlit CMOS sensor, 5x zoom, 24mm Schneider Kreuznach lens, 1080p HD video, 3” ultra clear AMOLED display with 920,000 pixels and 10,000:1 contrast ratio, pre-capture to not miss a shot of your baby in action, 1000 fps video & 10 fps photo, panorama feature, and full manual controls and raw when you want to experiment later.

It seems to have the potential for good low light images since it has a 36 MP/cm2 sensor density which puts it between the LX3's 24 MP/cm2 sensor and ZS7's 50 MP/cm2 sensor. (lower number is better) That plus the backlit CMOS sensor (which Samsung says doubles the sensitivity of standard CMOS sensors), and the Schneider Kreuznach F2.4 lens at wide might give it superior low-light abilities in the compact P&S category.

http://www.samsung.com/sg/consumer/c...ype=prd_detail

Can’t wait for this camera to be released to see how it actually performs,
Sky

Last edited by skylark; Jun 25, 2010 at 3:49 PM.
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 11:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post
That plus the backlit CMOS sensor (which Samsung says doubles the sensitivity of standard CMOS sensors)
It doesn't. Forget what Samsung says. This same exact sensor is already in at least 5 different cameras (Casio, Sony (2), Canon and Ricoh) and while it is an improvement in low light compared to traditional sensors of the same size, it doesn't come anywhere near the performance of a larger sensor.

Backlit sensors might be new to the P&S world but Sony has been using these sensors for a couple years in their camcorders and their improvements have already been proven to be only marginal. Do your homework.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 2:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
It doesn't. Forget what Samsung says. This same exact sensor is already in at least 5 different cameras (Casio, Sony (2), Canon and Ricoh) and while it is an improvement in low light compared to traditional sensors of the same size, it doesn't come anywhere near the performance of a larger sensor.

Backlit sensors might be new to the P&S world but Sony has been using these sensors for a couple years in their camcorders and their improvements have already been proven to be only marginal. Do your homework.
So FiveO, now you know more about Samsung's TL350/WB2000 than Samsung itself? So arrogant! All I did was quote Samsung from this paragraph:

"The WB2000 features a 10MP high-speed BSI (Back Side Illuminated) CMOS Sensor which doubles the sensitivity of standard CMOS Sensors. You’ll enjoy enhanced recording quality in areas with dim lighting thanks to a sensor that minimises noise and distortion, and eliminates image degradation. The result? Photos that are sharp, crisp and truly capture your vision-in brilliant HD."

From this web page:

So you see, I did "do my homework". I much rather believe Samsung than an annoying, obnoxious person like you. If you got a bone to pick, go pick it with Samsung!

I notice you criticizing Sarah and being obnoxious in other threads too. The last two posts that you attacked me in another thread, I just ignored it hoping that you would go away. Grow up! Who appointed you to be the steves-digicams forums police anyway?

Ok, you can spout off now as I know you will,
Sky
Old Jun 26, 2010, 5:47 AM   #18

I agree Sky it takes the fun right out of it...

I am unique too...just like everyone else...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2010, 6:44 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post
So FiveO, now you know more about Samsung's TL350/WB2000 than Samsung itself? So arrogant! All I did was quote Samsung from this paragraph:

"The WB2000 features a 10MP high-speed BSI (Back Side Illuminated) CMOS Sensor which doubles the sensitivity of standard CMOS Sensors. You’ll enjoy enhanced recording quality in areas with dim lighting thanks to a sensor that minimises noise and distortion, and eliminates image degradation. The result? Photos that are sharp, crisp and truly capture your vision-in brilliant HD."

From this web page:

So you see, I did "do my homework". I much rather believe Samsung than an annoying, obnoxious person like you. If you got a bone to pick, go pick it with Samsung!

I notice you criticizing Sarah and being obnoxious in other threads too. The last two posts that you attacked me in another thread, I just ignored it hoping that you would go away. Grow up! Who appointed you to be the steves-digicams forums police anyway?

Ok, you can spout off now as I know you will,
Sky
As I said, the sensor has already been used in at least 5 different cameras, not to mention a number of camcorders. There is no need to believe me nor Samsung as you can see with your own eyes that there is not a 50% improvement. As a matter of fact, you can read it in a large number of pro reviews also. Use your head for once.

... and you are free to post whatever you like and if it is incorrect, i will say so. It is you who needs to "grow up" if you can't defend your own position or take offense when someone disagrees with you.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 7:00 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
I agree Sky it takes the fun right out of it...

I am unique too...just like everyone else...
Thank you LTZ470. It does take the fun right out of it indeed.

Best regards,
Sky