Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 21, 2010, 2:12 PM   #1

Default Need a great compact video/digicam recommendation

I am replacing a CanonSD1000 that I absolutely dispise. Horrible low light pictures and over-developed flashed pictures. I have played/tweeked it so many times and I have just realized after too many failed baby pics, it is time to move on.

I also have a Flip HD that I am not a fan of. I won it but found I was using my camera's video more because the LCD is bigger and it was just more convenient. I have a Sony Handcam that works great but only want to use it for recitals, long vacations and things I need an ultra zoom and extended use - that my husband uses, while I can take camera stills.

Most of the time it is just me (stay at home mom) and I want something that is really good for both. Great pictures and good quick videos of baby's firsts (10mo) and my older daughter's (8yrs) antics. I absolutely love taking pictures but this past camera has turned me off. I really want to get back into photography again.

My wants:

Pocket size (or close enough too)
Wide angle lens
As much zoom as I can get in a pocket cam
Great low light and IS (my canon is horrible at both)
HD video
Great auto pics but some manual modes to play with

I have looked at the Lumix ZS and TZ series and I am kinda stumped on what the difference is, although the ZS series are newer. I also looked at Canon S90, Canon SX210IS, and Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H55.

I really will rely on your input. Having a new baby makes it really hard to do much research and shopping. I used to spend hours looking for the best item for the best deal, but those days are long gone.

Thanks!

Last edited by Suzanne74; Jun 21, 2010 at 2:15 PM.
Suzanne74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2010, 3:45 PM   #2

Suzanne-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased you dropped by.

The Sony TX-7 or Panasonic ZS6 (available at costco for $239 right now) are good possibilities. I you want GPS on the Panasonic, then look at the ZS7, but there is more cost as well.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2010, 6:18 PM   #3

I pretty much say this daily ...

If you want low-light and zoom in a pocketable form factor, then the Fuji EXR cams are the only choice. No great auto mode on those cams. Otherwise give up the zoom or the low-light. Perhaps the Sony HX5V/TX7 or Casio FH100 ... mediocre low-light, zoom, etc.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 6:34 PM   #4

Five-O-

I do not believe that the OP wants to have to make small constant adjustments to get the needed image quality from the Fuji F-70EXR.

She would be much better served by the Canon S-90, or the Sony TX-7.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:16 AM   #5

Yes, I rather have a good auto camera than the best low-lighting. I just want something small, good zoom, wide lens, and good video too. There are so many out there, it is hard to narrow down.

Def do not want the Sony TX7. Just not a fan. I want a wide lense and better zoom capabilities.

The ones that I am attracted to are:

Panasonic Zs5/6/7,
Nikon S8000
Sony DSC-HX5V
Canon SX210IS

Am I on the right line for my needs?
Suzanne74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 10:45 AM   #6

Suzanne-

Many that for your reply post. So you really would like to focus on the Compact Travel Zoom category. Certainly the Panasonic ZS5, ZS6, and ZS7 seem to lead the pack at three different price ranges and different features.

The Nikon S-8000, the Sony HX5, and the Canon SX-210 have placed a bit lower in the reviews. And then we had the Casio EX-FH100 this week win a shoot off competition with 12 other Compact Travel Zoom cameras. All of these cameras work well in Automatic Mode.

The Canon SD-4000 does not have as much zoom, but it is, with its F 2.0 lens is pointed at the market segment of folks who use the Automatic Mode and who are interested in shooting in low light level conditions.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Five-O-

I do not believe that the OP wants to have to make small constant adjustments to get the needed image quality from the Fuji F-70EXR.

She would be much better served by the Canon S-90, or the Sony TX-7.

Sarah Joyce
S90 doesn't have much zoom nor does it do HD video.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 3:29 PM   #8

Suzanne-

My ordered Casio EX-FH-100 arrived this morning. This was the camera that came in first in the DPR review of 13 different compact travel zoom cameras. I have attached an ISO 640 photo, taken indoors without flash, from the FH-100 for you, so we can say yes, this camera has some low light capability. It also has a nice 24mm wide angle, 10X optical zoom, HD video, and you can zoom while filming. The FH-100 is small and very pocket-able. The FH-100 also works well in the Auto Mode.

www.walmart.com has the camera on sale for $249.00, and I felt safe in ordering the FH-100 as Walmart has a 30 day no hassle, no re-stocking fee return policy.So this might be worth looking at as well.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jun 22, 2010, 7:06 PM   #9

Not surprisingly, it looks just like the HX5V images.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 7:25 PM   #10

But, very much unlike HX5 images in terms of White Balance and the ability to use an elevated ISO setting.

I see it as a refreshing long step ahead up the HX5 with many added features. Quite clearly, the Casio FH-100 is leagues ahead of the Sony HX5 by a very wide margin. Based on my very short experience, I would never purchase another HX5, but I would certainly go for another Casio FH-100, at a full $100 less than the HX5, that has many added features and much better image quality.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jun 22, 2010 at 7:46 PM.