Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 22, 2010, 8:40 AM   #1

Default Travel zoom or something else? Too much research

I'm in the market for a small compact point and shoot. I come from a background of DSLRs, using a sony A700 and A550, however, sometimes I just don't feel like lugging around those guys...especially with 2 kids now. I currently have a casio exlim (Vs? something) for about 2-3 years now, which does an ok job, but I feel like I need an upgrade. I was currently looking at the so called 'travel-zooms' above, and pretty much narrowed it down to the Zs7 (which I can get on amazon for $255) or the Hx5 (amazon for $329). I really want HD video, and besides that, I know it's a toss up between zoom and better lowlight, indoor pictures. At first I was thinking zoom, but then I thought maybe not, I'm more looking I think to take indoor pics and such (since most of the cameras do at least a decent job in regular daylight).
So......before I pull the trigger, I'm basically wondering if there is anything else out there, probably more in the non travel zoom area that I should look at?

-about $350 and below (unless of course something is so far superior and close enough to 350)
-movie mode with at least 720 HD
-at least some zoom
-decent indoor, not as much light photos
-compact, put in the pocket size

Thanks for any help, I really do value this board's opinions, I've been on many other sites and it just really seems that people on this board are much friendlier and have a pretty decent knowledge base. I've been printing and reading a lot between here, dpreview, and a few other sites. I know a few of these have been talked about so much..... Really racking my brains out....but I want to try to get one soon for vacation.....any help is much appreciated.

Brian

Last edited by Waltz41; Jun 22, 2010 at 8:48 AM.
Waltz41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2010, 10:21 AM   #2

Waltz-

As this will be a companion to your two Sony DSLR cameras is there a priority on size, or is just a travel zoom compact sufficient. You have a Casio background, did you know that the Casio EX-FH100 was the winner of DPR's Travel Zoom Compact Competition. It came out top among 12 other cameras. So that is a possibility.

In the Panasonic line there are currently the ZS5, ZS6, and the ZS7 that all do HD video and have received very good reviews. So there are some to look at, as you narrow down the field a bit.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 10:46 AM   #3

definitley a priority on size...i want something to put in my pocket, kind of so I always have a camera with me kind of thing. With my kids especially, it's not easy always lugging around a big dslr.

i did see the casio won, the only thing is i don't like the fact that you can't zoom in video mode (right?)

my main thing now is are there other models that i should look at that ARENT travel zooms?, that i might get better low light pictures with.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:35 AM   #4

Brian-

I will check to be sure, but I do believe that you can zoom in the HD video on the Casio EX-FH100.

If high ISO capability is important, then cameras like the Samsung EX-1 and the Canon S-90 and SD-4000 become important. The only one of those three that has HD video is the SD-4000.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:46 PM   #5

I'm just really torn between the longer zoom and the lower light better IQ pics. I always have my DSLR for important things like birthdays, holidays, etc......but i want my pocket camera to be a good all around shooter.
At first I think I want the long zoom, but then i'm thinking how often i actually would be using when i have the camera with me, and so is it better for me to get a better low light performer?

I think if i go with the travel zoom, i would go with the panasonic zs7 or the sony hx5 (question now is hx5 worth 75 bucks more? probably not from what I have read). Also, that's assuming the casio doesnt' have zoom in camera while videoing, which I thought I read somewhere.

But i just still want to explore non travel zooms, as i'm just really starting to think i'd rather have a little better low light iq than zoom.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 3:42 PM   #6

Brian-

Here is another option: the Casio EX-FH-100. My copy arrived this morning. It has a high ISO capability, a 24mm wide angle, 10X optical zoom, does HD video and you can zoom while filming. It is very much pocket size. Thus far it is a rather impressive camera.

I have attached an ISO 640 photo taken indoors without flash.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images