Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 22, 2010, 7:18 PM   #1

Default Canon G11 or Entry-Level DSLR?

Hi everyone, I'd love some of your expert advice on what camera to purchase next.

I currently have a Canon IXUS 870 IS and would like to upgrade to a better camera to take photos of my baby and pet cat. They can both move too fast for the current camera to take clear pictures of reliably! Aside from action shots with a pretty close range, I also want to take pictures with a blurred background (shallow depth of field?) that aren't just restricted to macro mode. Budget can go up to $800, and I am looking for something from either Canon or Nikon.

I've read up a little on the Canon G11 and understand that it is still considered a point-and-shoot camera. Will this camera work for me, or should I look at an entry-level DSLR?

Not sure if it matters, but I would eventually like to be able to offer to take indoor and outdoor photos of my friends' babies or pets too.
mochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2010, 7:22 PM   #2

mochi

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

Your desire for a blurred background requires an entry level DSLR camera with a wide aperture lens, the kit lens will probably not consistently create the desired effect.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 7:26 PM   #3

canon t1i with the kit lens, with a ef 50mm 1.8. It should give you the desire dof, and give you a big aperture for about 90 dollars. Between the T1i's high iso and the 1.8 lens will be right around 800
Old Jun 22, 2010, 8:19 PM   #4

Sarah Joyce and shoturtle -- thank you both for your comments! Would it honestly be worth the extra money to get a Canon T2i over the T1i?
Old Jun 22, 2010, 8:31 PM   #5

only if you want better HD video. Image quality is about the same, on the photo aspect.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 9:17 PM   #6

Thanks again shoturtle!
Old Jun 22, 2010, 9:48 PM   #7

Your welcome, but hd on a dslr is really not as easy to uses as a point and shoot and camcorder. You move to fast and you get a bad jelly effect with the larger apertures. It is good for getting a quick video.