Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 25, 2010, 12:24 PM   #21

You said the magic word sport, that puts the GH1 way behind a dslr. Not a good tool for that.

If you were looking to save some money, take a look at the pentax k-x, canon T1i. They have allot of features, but much less then the d90.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsanzbajo View Post
I have used a Nikon D300 with a 18mm-120mm lens for a couple of years. Unfortunately I was laid off from my job and sold the camera. Now I cannot afford the D300, looking for something cheaper but great quality for travel, sports, and everyday camera use.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jul 25, 2010 at 6:36 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 12:36 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
vsanzbajo started this thread.
oops
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 1:08 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Sky-

But that limits the reach to just 280mm and the no real ISO capability is still not addressed. For the small size difference I would rather have the Kx or the E-620 and save money.

Sarah Joyce
Hi Sarah,

Yes, the KX would be a better camera with its reputation of superior low-light ability. Which 10x+ zoom lens do you think would be sharp throughout its entire range? For folks who don't want to change lenses, that combo sounds pretty sweet.

Sky
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 3:23 PM   #24

sky-

The Tamron 18-250mm lens was sold under the Tamron brand name and rebadged as the Pentax 18-250mm lens. It works quite well as the Pentax Kx has in body Image Stabilization.

www.keh.com had 3 used copies of the Tamron 18-250mm in stock earlier in the week, so while they are getting a bit rarer, they are still available.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 3:48 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
sky-

The Tamron 18-250mm lens was sold under the Tamron brand name and rebadged as the Pentax 18-250mm lens. It works quite well as the Pentax Kx has in body Image Stabilization.

www.keh.com had 3 used copies of the Tamron 18-250mm in stock earlier in the week, so while they are getting a bit rarer, they are still available.

Sarah Joyce
That would be a 13.9x zoom lens on the KX. I agree with you. A KX with that lens would be better than a GH1 for those who want 10x+ zoom as a single lens solution.

Good picks,
Sky
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 5:48 PM   #26

You may not be able to find either the tamron or pentax 18-250mm as it is discontinued. You can also look at the sigma 18-250 as another option.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 6:01 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post
... A KX with that lens would be better than a GH1 for those who want 10x+ zoom as a single lens solution.
If someone were holding a gun to my head, I'd pick the GH1 and the 14-140 before a K-x and an anybody's 18-2x0.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 6:29 PM   #28

Well, TCav-

As the song says, "To each their own!"

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 6:55 PM   #29
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
If someone were holding a gun to my head, I'd pick the GH1 and the 14-140 before a K-x and an anybody's 18-2x0.
I know you really didn't like the optical problems (distortion, CA, etc.) when you tried a Tamron 18-200mm briefly.

But, the 14-140mm bundled with the GH1 isn't exactly an optical jewel either. You just don't see all of the optical problems with it due to in camera firmware and/or software correction if shooting raw with an editor that knows how to correct for it's problems. See this page and you can see how bad it really is if you look test results for uncorrected images:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pana...gh1/page17.asp

You could do the same thing for a Tamron 18-2xx lens later with PP (use software correction to help out with optical issues if they bother you, keeping in mind that the newer models are sharper compared to the older Tamron 18-200mm). You just wouldn't have that correction in camera with a K-x. DxO Optics Pro is one solution for that:

http://www.dxo.com/intl/photo/dxo_op...ry_corrections

Newer versions of a number of other editors also have similar correction ability built in now, using lens specific profiles to correct for distortion, CA, vignetting and more (CS5, Bibble Pro 5, etc.)

As time passes, more and more cameras should start doing the same thing with JPEG files (some are just correcting for vignetting and CA now, but more advanced corrections like the GH1 is using will probably start becoming the norm in more newer camera bodies in the future).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 8:06 PM   #30

I know about the automatic correction in the GH1 and all m4/3 cameras. I'm not a big fan of the idea, but if the image quality of the GH1 + 14-140 is better than the K-x and an 18-2x0 lens, and all indications are that it is, then that's what I'd go with. A superzoom lens is a bad idea, and in camera correction of distortion and CA is also a bad idea, but this is a case of picking your poison.

I've seen images from the Tamron 18-200, and I saw the objective test results for the Tamron 18-200. I've also seen the objective test results for the newer superzoom lenses, and while they're better, the flaws I saw in my images are still represented in those test results, although to a lesser degree. I took a lot of photos with that 18-200, and some of them are still among my favorites, but some of them I've been disappointed in and ashamed of. Of all the lenses I've had since then, none has been as bad.

But if someone really wants to go that way, I think the 14-140 is the best of a bad lot.