Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:45 AM   #1

Default ZS7, SX210IS, or Another?

I know you all have probably seen this thread before. I have been doing research for a couple of days now and have really got it down to the ZS7 or SX210IS. I know the Canon is better in low light compared to the Panasonic, but to me the Panasonic has better outdoor photos. Is there another camera I should consider?

My intentions for this camera is going to be a P&S for family photos and video. I have heard mixed reviews of which has better video, having the panny getting better reviews. I guess what I need is a good indoor camera more than anything, but I love how the panny outdoor photos come out, but the Cannon seem really close. As for indoors I do see panny photos are darker. I mean can someone post some pics with a ZS7 indoors with just a fan lights for lighting?

I also know that the Canon has its problems, as in the lens shadow and the flash pop up placement.

What I am looking for in camera is:
1.Good indoor photos(where most of my photos will probably take place)
2.Good video. (I love the vivid colors in the pannies)
3.Good Outdoors(seldom used probably)

Again, this is going to be a family camera and wont be in the market to purchase an external flash or support for the camera, just want to work on its own.
AODfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:41 PM   #2

Can someone please post some pics with a ZS7 indoors without a slave, with and without flash?
Old Jun 23, 2010, 2:34 PM   #3

Well as I and many others have said until we're blue ... You need a camera with a larger sensor to take good indoor photos without flash. (i.e. S90, 1/1.7" sensor) You can get mediocre indoors photos with cameras that use a much smaller backlit (BSI) sensor (1/2.3"-1/2.4") such as the Sony/Casio/Ricoh/Canon models that utilize one. Step down a little further in IQ for the cameras with same size sensors that are not backlit.

All of the comments you see regarding low-light include indoors. Sunlight provides 200x more light than the average living room so keep that in mind.

If you don't need zoom, I highly recommend looking at the Canon S90 or Panasonic LX3 in the pocketable camera segment. The LX3 does HD video btw and the S90 does not.

The ZS7 and any camera with a 1/2.33" (or smaller) sensor is really not intended for low-light usage. However, if you don't mind using flash, you can do ok. Also, up to ISO 800, pics are ok for small prints (4x6, 5x7). Reviews say you can do 8x10 at ISO 800 but that's a load of bull. That said, let's see if I can post some ZS7 photos for you indoors. EXIFs intact. I don't remember what picture adjustments were set (if any) but these were both shot in Program Auto I believe.

This one was taken with flash in a pitch black room, illuminated only by the computer monitor behind me. Colors are good, flash is even, etc. I was sitting 3-4 feet from the foot of the bed. (wife cropped out but otherwise untouched)

This one was taken without flash with only an overhead light on. It was taken at night (and I have room darkening curtains anyway) so the overhead was the only light source. Colors are a bit warm. FYI, she is a Black & Red GSD so the camera has not made her red.

Just for the sake of discussion, here is one that was Auto Color corrected in Photoshop and run through the default settings of the Neat Image noise reduction filter.

Last edited by FiveO; Jun 23, 2010 at 2:41 PM.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 3:12 PM   #4

Thank you for the examples, they are not as bad as what I have seen when people say its poor, I had purchased a Nikon L110 and those looked horrible to me indoors, so I returned that and was just looking for a good P&S. After these pics and seeing what they looks after Photoshop, I can do the same and not worry as much. Looks like the Panasonic ZS7 is for me.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 5:39 PM   #5

It is a poor low-light performer but if you keep it to small prints, you should be ok up to ISO 800 as I stated above. The above no-flash shot was done in ISO 400 which is where I usually cap my shots (Intelligent ISO lets the camera cap the ISO and has options for: off, ISO 400, ISO 800, ISO 1600). Program Auto is a much better choice than iAuto indoors. Everything is still virtually automatic but you have a few more options. iAuto will often choose a scene mode indoors that utilizes ISO 1600+ which produces terrible images. The ZS7 also has red/blue shift for WB presets (think I mentioned that?). If you set it to incandescent and then shift towards blue a little, it will get rid of that red cast. You can then save your settings in one of the 3 custom mode slots.

Daylight images are considerably better of course.

Last edited by FiveO; Jun 24, 2010 at 1:53 AM.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 12:08 PM   #6

Well I went ahead and purchased a ZS7, picked one up on Amazon for $304.95 shipped. Grabbed a 8gb class 6 card as well.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 12:58 PM   #7

Sorry you didn't see this post...and I didn't post it! for you...
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...s7-50-off.html
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 1:34 PM   #8

Too bad I ordered it yesterday morning.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 2:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AODfan View Post
Too bad I ordered it yesterday morning.
Amazon does have a great return policy (30 days) then reorder or order now and return the one that is coming when it arrives you will still save $44 at minimum...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 3:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
Amazon does have a great return policy (30 days) then reorder or order now and return the one that is coming when it arrives you will still save $44 at minimum...

I already tried calling Amazon on the deal, unfortunately, when I ordered, I guess it automatically chose the cheapest vendor for me. Resulting it making the coupon unusable, they advised to contact the vendor, which in this case was Beach Camera, only advise they gave me was refuse the package, and you'll be refunded 3-5 days and then buy another one from Amazon. So, I would be out $550 for like two weeks to save $50. But with a baby right around the corner, getting a camera on time is better than saving $50 and not having one.