Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:06 AM   #1

Default Info for those looking to buy - DPREVIEW on Travelzoom Segment.

Here is a link to the recent Travelzoom comparison test posted at DPREVIEW. I found it an interesting read, however I have a feeling that many s-digicam posters will disagree with the results, but figured this would be a good read for potential buyers looking for the right fit. I found the winner(s) to be odd, with the crowned jewel of the forum here to be somewhere towards the middle of the pack.

Cameras Tested -

Canon PowerShot SX210 IS
Casio Exilim EX-FH100
Fujifilm FinePix F80 EXR
Fujifilm FinePix JZ500
Kodak EasyShare Z950
Nikon Coolpix S8000
Olympus Mju-9010
Panasonic DMC-ZS5 / TZ8
Panasonic DMC-ZS7 / TZ10
Ricoh CX3
Samsung HZ35W
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H55
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1006/10...mgrouptest.asp
mackloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2010, 2:13 PM   #2

I agree. The users at dpreview overall thought the comparison was crap and I will have to concur. They failed to mention the crucial flaws and shortcomings of nearly every model and more so, the final rankings don't even line up with the individual assessments. Their review disagrees with every professional review on a number of issues. Note that they didn't even mention the issues with bright light that this particular BSI sensor has, nor did they mention that you can't zoom during video for the Casio FH100. They pretty much nailed the Canon SX210 to the wall yet lined it up in the "middle of the pack". As much as I like my ZS7, they put that in the middle of the pack for low-light and let's be honest - this cam sucks in low light. All in all, a terrible review on all counts.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 4:01 PM   #3

I agree Five-O...After all the research I did no this segment I found this review to totally contradict everything I had worked on compiling.
mackloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 4:10 PM   #4

Its interesting to take a look at Amazon to see how users feel about each camera they rated.....clearly not scientific, but for instance in comparing the Samsung and Panasonic on Amazon its like DPR were rating completely different camera samples.....
vwcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 3:58 AM   #5

But compare the Casio FH100 and Canon G11 samples at ISO 400 and 800...the Canon does beat it but clearly the Casio is nice...
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...0/CIMG0198.JPG
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...1/IMG_0222.JPG

Last edited by LTZ470; Jun 24, 2010 at 5:46 AM.
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:11 AM   #6

LTZ-

You make an excellent point about image quality. In addition to the image quality, the Casio EX-FH100 is also about $150 cheaper as well, and pocket size, which the G-11 is not.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 12:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
But compare the Casio FH100 and Canon G11 samples at ISO 400 and 800...the Canon does beat it but clearly the Casio is nice...
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...0/CIMG0198.JPG
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...1/IMG_0222.JPG
Well no one said the Casio was bad but it's certainly not the best overall camera of the bunch, nor does it even have the best IQ. I don't like to pixel peep so I won't even comment on the problems at 100% (which looks like watercolor), especially since similar problems are inherent to all cameras in this class. However, I can't read a word off a single magazine in that collection.

Again though, that wasn't the point. The point is as stated above. That comparison is getting no love on dpreview either.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 2:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
Well no one said the Casio was bad but it's certainly not the best overall camera of the bunch, nor does it even have the best IQ. I don't like to pixel peep so I won't even comment on the problems at 100% (which looks like watercolor), especially since similar problems are inherent to all cameras in this class. However, I can't read a word off a single magazine in that collection.

Again though, that wasn't the point. The point is as stated above. That comparison is getting no love on dpreview either.
My apologies for missing the point 5-O...I honestly think both of the photos look great at ISO400 for two P&S cameras...but then again each to his own...

Disclaimer: I like good photos even if they did come from a Casio, Canon, Sony, Panasonic, Fuji, Sanyo...
Old Jun 24, 2010, 2:31 PM   #9

A lot depends on how much zoom you require, as we have seen in test shots with the Canon SD-4000, S-90, and G-11.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 3:11 PM   #10

The G11 is a very nice camera and the photos of the FH100 compare nicely from Steve's review up to ISO800 for my own personal end use...so the FH100 is a very decent camera from Casio...I will own one soon I am sure...10X Zoom with decent low light performance sure makes it very tempting...