Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 28, 2010, 5:52 AM   #21

we seem to have to topics camera choice first either camera is good you need to touch it feel it and see if it suits your grip. at this level any will take a good picture what you have to do is know how to use it, i dont know your level so if a beginner then take a course it will serve you well. i have just got the 550d gone back to a slr after a few years away. this took me a few practise shots to get used to it again but now if feel at ease with it still a bit more to learn as my last slr was a film one.
as for the flash the built in one is ok f or home use but in real world use you will need an external one go for a high guide number, you just cant have enough power when it comes to flash
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 10:34 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave01 View Post
as for the flash the built in one is ok for home use but in real world use you will need an external one go for a high guide number, you just cant have enough power when it comes to flash
I tend to find the built-in flash just about ideal for real-world fill flash. For typical indoor flash, I opt for external flash because I much prefer bounce to direct flash, and if I have to use direct flash, I use it with a diffuser (although that still tends to make people look waxen to my eye because the natural shadows of light from above aren't there). For my uses, it isn't the guide number of built-in flash that makes it suboptimal. As always, YMMV.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 3:27 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclune View Post
Thanks. Let me muddy it up just a tad by mentioning how ISO changes things. This is a tiny bit harder, but quite useful to know. If your guide number is reported for a given ISO, you can calculate the guide number for a different ISO by dividing the desired ISO by the ISO given, taking the square root of the result, and multiplying the given guide number by that. For example, given a guide number of 56 at ISO 200, the guide number for ISO 400 would be: 400/200 = 2, the square root of 2 is roughly 1.4, and 1.4*56 is about 78. So the guide number at ISO 400 would be 78. At ISO 100, the guide number would be 100/200, or 0.5 square root of 0.5 = approx. 0.7, and 0.7*56 is approximately 39.

An easy way to remember the effect of ISO on guide numbers is that doubling the ISO gives an EV of +1, halving the ISO gives an EV of -1. FWIW
"tiny bit harder"? ... are you kidding? this was like rocket science multiplied and divided by innumerable square roots ... I only understand beet-roots and other such roots, square roots go over my head ... just kidding.
But I preferred & understood your first explanation much better, it was EXCELLENT ... like Hawgwild said it was "Good post. Simple, clear and concise..."
Current Gear: Canon 7D+BG-E7 Battery Grip & 60D with EF 24-105 f/4 L IS; EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II; EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS; EF 100 f2.8 L IS; EF 50 f/1.8 II; Canon Speedlite 430 EX II; Metz 58 AF-1; Canon RC-5 Wireless Remote Controller & RS-80N3 Remote Switch; Manfrotto 190CX PRO4 with Manfrotto 322RC2 Grip Ball Head; Kenko Extension Tube Set; B+W UV & Polorizing filters

Last edited by rienz; Jun 29, 2010 at 3:31 AM.
rienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:32 PM   #24

I'am just about to start a 2 year course in graphic design and plan to buy a dslr camera to help with my different study modules plus I have a genuine interest in photography.
I had planned to buy a Nikon D90 but money has now made that into a D5000 until I came across this thread.
I've never been a big Canon fan but from what people have said the T2i has some advantages over the D5000 but I'am still unsure which way to go.
Is the T2i really that much better or is the difference only minimal?

Also battery grips for the D5000, I've done a lot of research and the results seem very mixed as best.
Either the generic brands cause problems with batteries being recognised by the camera or there are issues with the battery door on the camera or camera features not working.....is there an actual battery grip that works without and major drama's?
Thanks for any help given.
Storm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:57 AM   #25

The T2i advantages over the D-5000 are basically: quicker focus, a bit more resolution, and a wider selection of camera maker and third party lenses.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 4:19 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
The T2i advantages over the D-5000 are basically: quicker focus, a bit more resolution, and a wider selection of camera maker and third party lenses.

Sarah Joyce

And much better HD video, 1080p vs 720p, and have a external mic option so the video will not pick up the lens focusing when shooting video.

But if video is not as important, I would go with the T1i, and put the savings toward lenses or a good bag and extra batteries and other things you may need.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 5:32 AM   #27

T2i = EOS 550D right?
Price wise this one is more expensive than the D-5000, well it is here in Australia anyway by a good $400.
Its more like Nikon D90 money.
The EOS 500D is a more similar price to the D-5000 and I'am assuming this is the T1i?
Video recording isnt high on the agenda of what I want to do so is there any other major difference between the two Canon camera's?
Also going by this article the D-5000 is a better camera and it explains why: http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/revi...os_500d/302633
Thanks again for the help

Last edited by Storm68; Jul 16, 2010 at 9:09 AM.
Storm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:03 AM   #28

yes t2i is the 550d
yes t1i is the 500d
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:15 AM   #29

My 2 cents, get it from a place you can return it. But my sister has the D5000 and I just bought the T1i (image quality and most features the same as T2i), and I like the D5000 on Auto much better from what I can see. My opinion is just that, and so I encourage you to try them yourself. I'm just about to return my T1i for a D5000 unless my sister's pictures turn out (when printed) to be less stunning than on the screen. We were both using Auto, so it's not that she knows how to tweak the camera and I don't.
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:28 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm68 View Post
Also going by this article the D-5000 is a better camera and it explains why: http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/revi...os_500d/302633
I have the D5000 and I love it. But ISTM that bald assertions that either of these cameras are "better" says more about the person making the assertion than about the camera. I would suggest that it is reasonable to buy the D5000 if you want to be a "Nikon person," and reasonable to buy the T1i if you want to be a "Canon person."

While the D5000 doesn't have a built-in motor, I have found that my wish list of lenses that I want and are appropriate for that body vastly exceeds my resources for the foreseeable future. The biggest things that I pesonally find limiting about the D5000 that I would get with the D90 are:
1. You can't change the metering mode without going through the menu system. I can set up the camera to switch ISO/aperture/shutter speed/focal point/exposure compensation/flash compensation all using immediately-available button presses. But the metering mode requires fiddling with menus, which is a pain.
2. The pentamirror is not nearly as bright or large as the pentaprism.

There are various other things that are in some sense "better" with the D90, but these are the two that I actually miss. The fact that the D5000 uses that same wonderful sensor as the D90 is the biggest thing that I love. And, if you get the D5000, invest in Capture NX2 also. This is a terrific "fit" for working with Nikon NEF files.

If you want my "wish list" for lenses, #1 would be the 35mm f/1.8, which I have and love. #2 would be the Tokina 12-24 f/4, which I hope to get real soon now, but it's $500, which stretches my budget a bit. #3 would be the Sigma 50-150 f/2.8. I already have the Nikon 55-200 VR, but would trade it in a heartbeat for that Sigma. Unfortunately, it costs about $750, so between the WA and this lens, I have my wishlist set for the next year or so. I'll probably trade in the Nikon tele to go toward the Sigma's purchase. From what I can see, you want to buy the Sigma at a local camera store, because Sigma's QC is shockingly bad from everything I've read -- a large number of people report having to go through two or three of these lenses before they get one that works. I haven't seen that reported with any other lens that interests me, but apparently -- once you get a good one -- it is reasonably robust.

FWIW

Last edited by tclune; Jul 16, 2010 at 11:53 AM.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote