Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 16, 2010, 8:53 PM   #31

Thank you so much guys for the feedback.
I'am really leaning towards the D-5000 but I admit the lack of a built in motor is a bit of a downer but everything else just seems a little superior to a T1i.
Lens choice will be the factor here and thank you for a list of what to look for.
I guess macro, telephoto and a good basic lens for sports shots are basically what I'll need.
Also I'd like to take low level light/night photos so ISO clarity will be important with reducing grain.
I think the T2i is more comparable to a D90 and not a D-5000 and for now thats out of my price range.
Now battery grip, does anyone here with A D-5000 have one that actually works and you didnt have to hack your camera to install it?
I cant seem to find a working one without any issues anywhere.
Thanks again.

Last edited by Storm68; Jul 16, 2010 at 8:55 PM.
Storm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 9:03 PM   #32

AF the canon is better the nikon both the t1i and t2i. They would be a better sport camera then the d5000 actually. In the entry level, canon has the best system for sports.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:34 PM   #33

Now that's interesting...the sports shots are more for me and not my diploma.
Sports like football, soccer and motor racing is what I'd be looking at taking images of but school comes first so sports is second in line.
I'am guessing this is where the Canons faster fps comes in handy compared to a D-5000 but is the difference that noticeable in the end product?
As you can tell I'am new to photography and it's great to have a helping hand from you guys who have the experience.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:22 PM   #34

Storm,

once you get into the advance level, the nikon and canon are equal in sport shooting with the 7d and d300. And currently in the pro level. Nikon is ahead of canon slightly with the d3 vs the 1dmkiv.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 8:21 AM   #35

I shoot some sports and action with the D5000 and I think it works really good for that. Considering itīs price. With a Nikon 70-300VR lens there are no problem shooting sports in good light. Also remember that the D5000 has better ISO qualities than the canon entry level camera which is good when shooting sports.

Best regards/Daniel
DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 9:53 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm68 View Post
Now that's interesting...the sports shots are more for me and not my diploma.
Sports like football, soccer and motor racing is what I'd be looking at taking images of but school comes first so sports is second in line.
I'am guessing this is where the Canons faster fps comes in handy compared to a D-5000 but is the difference that noticeable in the end product?
As you can tell I'am new to photography and it's great to have a helping hand from you guys who have the experience.
I hope you caught JohnG's interesting post on sports photography over in the newbie section (here's the post I'm thinking of: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/1118708-post4.html) I have never taken sports photos, and have had little interest in doing so. But that post certainly increased my appreciation of what one does when one takes sports photos...
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:27 AM   #37

Thanks guys, excellent help as always.
I spoke to the guy at my local camera shop today and he just kept on saying buy a D90, I think he missed the bit when I said it was $600 more than I could afford.
The sports link was very interesting, our football sports dont use helmets so the glare factor wouldnt be a problem but I can understand the logic in focusing on the faces over bodies.
I would use shutter priority for fast action sports like car racing correct?
Thanks again for the help guys, I still have a week before I make my purchase and to be honest I now have a lot more food for thought
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:43 AM   #38

More important for you to decide between Canon and Nikon than the two cameras you try to compare. Once you decided for Canon or Nikon you will have to stick to the camera lenses for the rest of your life. I started with Nikon for more than 50 years I had to pick D5000. I love my D5000, I compared it with D300s not D90. D5000 is D90 with movable screen. I think D5000 is a better camera, also much smaller and lighter. (D200 was my main camera before D5000). I also think no in camera focussing motor is a plus,it makes the D5000 lighter and smaller. As I own so many Nikon lenses I use my old lenses for my D5000. Play with your D5000 for a while and you will love it,.

Last edited by ruchai; Jul 17, 2010 at 10:47 AM.
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 1:28 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm68 View Post
... I would use shutter priority for fast action sports like car racing correct? ...
Stick with aperture priority. As you zoom, the maximum aperture changes (except on some big, heavy, expensive zoom lenses that have a contstant maximum aperture.) Whatever maximum aperture you can get, you want to use it so it will give you as shallow a depth of field as possible, isolating your subject from background. And as the aperture opens up as you zoom out, the the shutter speed will speed up, which is ok (faster is ok; slower is bad). If you use shutter priority, you're fixing the shutter speed and the aperture, so you'll get deeper depths of field as you zoom out, which is bad.

You want two things:
  • Fast shutter speeds - to freeze motion
  • Large apertures - to help get the fast shutter speeds, and to get the shallow depths of field
Because typical zoom lenses have larger maximum apertures at shorter focal lengths than they do at longer focal lengths, you want to use aperture priority and set the aperture as big as it will go, and set the ISO so you get a shutter speed that are fast enough to freeze motion. When you switch to shorter focal lengths, the aperture will get larger (giving yuou a more shallow depth of field) and the shutter speed will get faster (which isn't a bad thing.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 2:15 PM   #40

If you shoot action indoor like at basketball. There is no 85 to 105mm fast primes with F2 or better that work on the d5000. The 2 AF 85mm(1.4 and 1.9) and the AF 105mm f2 and the AF 135mm f2 will not focus on the d5000. So if you go the nikon route and you are going to shoot indoors, the d90 would be a much better choice.