Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 18, 2010, 12:42 AM   #41

Thanks again guys, excellent help and advice.
I can buy a D90 from Hong Kong on EBay that's in my price range but I'am not sure how dodgey that is.
Warranty is the issue I have there but on the flipside it's something I hope to never use and the $400 saving is attractive.
Has anyone here tried this and had any issues?
No motor on the D5000 is the only thing holding me back on it and I know with the right lenses it's not an issue but it's still a sticking point for me.

Last edited by Storm68; Jul 18, 2010 at 4:41 AM.
Storm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 5:15 AM   #42

Adorama has factory refurbished D90s for ~$100 less than new ones. You still don't get a factory warranty, but at least you get a 90 day warranty from a reputable US vendor.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 8:52 AM   #43

Hey TC,
I sent Adorama an email with a few questions I had so thanks for the advice I appreciate it
Old Jul 18, 2010, 9:20 AM   #44
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm68 View Post
I can buy a D90 from Hong Kong on EBay that's in my price range but I'am not sure how dodgey that is.
Warranty is the issue I have there but on the flipside it's something I hope to never use and the $400 saving is attractive.
Has anyone here tried this and had any issues?
It's not just a warranty issue. Depending on the country you live in, the regional Nikon distributor may refuse to service a gray market camera (one that was not intended for sale in the region you live in), period, even if you are willing to pay them for the service; and they'll know by the camera's serial number.

Thom Hogan has an article on the subject here:

http://www.bythom.com/warranty.htm

For example, Nikon USA will refuse to service a gray market camera, period.

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/331/~/what-is-gray-market

Quote:
Nikon Inc. USA cannot provide any technical support or warranty service on Gray Market items. Additionally Nikon Inc. USA cannot perform any fee-based repair work on Gray Market items.
Nikon Canada will refuse to service a gray market camera, period.

http://help.nikon.ca/app/answers/detail/a_id/5546/~/what-is-grey-market

Quote:
Nikon Canada offices cannot provide any technical support or warranty service on Grey Market items. Additionally Nikon Canada offices cannot perform any fee-based repair work on Grey Market items.
I see from your previous posts that you're in Australia. It looks like they might service one for a fee. But, I'd double check with them to make sure.

http://www.nikon.com.au/pagearticle....=65-52b9b66212

Quote:
Nikon Australia cannot provide any technical support or warranty service on Grey Market items. Please do not contact Nikon Australia for help with any Grey Market products. Please contact the reseller or importer of your Grey Market items for warranty and service information as well as software updates and downloads. However, Nikon Australia are still able to perform fee-based repair work on Grey Market items if necessary.
Basically, you'll want to check with Nikon in the region you live in to determine if they will fix it for a fee. Otherwise, you may need to send it back to the country it was intended for sale in, or end up sending it to Nikon Japan for repairs.

I'd also take any potential customs issues into consideration (for example, a package coming from overseas may be inspected by customs in some countries, where you'll be required to pay duties and taxes on an imported item before they'll release it to you, depending on your country's laws).

Basically, your best bet is to make sure you buy a Nikon camera from an authorized Nikon dealer in the region you live in.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 10:21 AM   #45

Thanks for the info Jim, sensibility always wins out over price.
I'll just have to save my pennies or go with the D5000 depending how inpatient I get.
Thank you again guys for the feedback.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 10:13 PM   #46

with nikon refreb, you get a 90 warranty factory from adorama, canon referb gets a 1 year return to adorama warranty. They get their nikon and canon and other brand from the manufactures.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 8:32 AM   #47

My only issue with this is what the prior problem was with the camera.
I got a reply from Adorama and they said the box is sealed so they know what the history of the camera prior was except its now working.
But I also read some customer reviews saying they had issues with thier camera after 60 days so its a bit of a surprise bag really.
The US is more reputable than Asia but its still a long way to send a camera back for repairs.
Has anyone had reliability issues with their Nikon product during the warranty period?
I always thought of a camera as a pretty reliable piece of hardware.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 8:39 AM   #48

The D5000 had bad firmware in a lot of its cameras when it first came out. There are a lot more D5000 refurbs than any other dSLRs from Nikon AFAICS. I wonder if the reason there are so many of them is related to this (known and fixed) firmware issue. I bought a factory refurb D5000, but I got it from Cameta on e-bay (an authorized Nikon dealer, as is Adorama) because Cameta increased the Nikon 90-day warranty to 1 year. I haven't had any problems yet, but I do feel a bit more peace of mind with the longer warranty. FWIW
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 8:41 AM   #49

D5000 also had a recall that would cause it to fail complete, forgot exactly what it was for. The D90 seem to be made better.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 10:21 AM   #50

Hey guys,
I went to the Cameta site and was impressed with thier prices so I sent them an email with a few questions.
Does anyone know if the battery voltage is the same worldwide or does it vary from country to country?
Meaning I'd have to buy additional batteries from the US if there was an issue with this.
Also the charger would need a power adapter for me to use here.
But if the warranty is 12 monthes and the prices are that good I'd have to look at it.
The only other problem may be customs/import duty, not sure how to find out about that but I'll do some research.
Thanks again, almost there