Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 24, 2010, 4:02 PM   #11

Sarah Joyce and TCav thank you very much for your feedback. JimC, I really appreciate the help you are providing me.
Please excuse my delay in responding as I have to do my research on your suggestions. I have given serious thoughts and now I have rounded my choice between the Sony A500 and the Canon 500D.
I would like to know which one provides better autofocus performance, produce cleaner image at higher ISO and has better metering system.
Thanking You,
Fhame Rashid
Fhame Rashid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 4:08 PM   #12
Administrator

I don't think you're going to see much difference between them in real world use. Using the Optical Viewfinder, the Sony models test slightly faster for Autofocus Performance compared to the EOS-500D (a.k.a., T1i) in lighting that's around EV 6 or brighter (and typical tungsten home lighting at night should run around EV 5 or 6) from tests I've seen; with the Canon 500D becoming slightly faster in very low light. When using Live View, the Sony A500 or A550 will Autofocus much faster than any other dSLR model (other dSLR models like the Canon 500D will be very slow in comparison when using Live View).

Look at the higher ISO speed samples in those models reviews here, as well as in the comparometer at imaging-resource.com to get a better feel for noise/detail levels (and you may even want to make a few prints at the sizes you'll use more often and compare them). They're going to be very close with most subject types at equivalent print or viewing sizes (I think you'll find the difference is negligible at any viewing/print size you'd use higher ISO speed images at).

The Sony A500 would give you very fast Autofocus using Live View (something you don't get with dSLR models like the Canon EOS-500D), thanks to the Sony A500 and A550 using a separate Live View sensor in the viewfinder housing providing the Live View feed (allowing the A500 to use fast phase detect Autofocus in Live View mode), and the Sony A500 would also give you a tilting LCD. But, some users prefer an optical viewfinder instead of Live View anyway. The Sony also has some neat features like Auto HDR that can take two images (one exposed for the brighter areas, and the other exposed for the darker areas) and combine them in camera for better Dynamic Range, and Sony A500 would also give you a faster Continuous Shooting speed (frames per second using Continuous Drive Mode). But, it doesn't sound like you really care much about burst mode performance for the types of shots you're taking, and both models are good performers in that area. The Canon 500D would give you video recording (missing on the A500).

I'd try them out in a store to figure out the model you're more comfortable with (ergonomics, viewfinder, etc.) before deciding.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 4:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
The Sony A-230 uses a CCD imager, and I would avoid it if possible. Sarah Joyce
Why? Curious as i don't understand (I am a noob)

Thanks
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 4:54 PM   #14

With the listed camera you have, and it seems like you are looking for low light performance. I would go with the 500D and get the 50mm 1.8, though it is not as good as the 1.4, it does do a nice job in low light. And further down the road, with the canon, you have more to spend on lenses. The canon offers you the largest selection of lenses on the market.

I shoot a 500D and the pentax K-x, the pentax does hold it's own next to the 500D and 550D in the photo department. But like sony they do have a limited lens platform compare to canon.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 5:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
With the listed camera you have, and it seems like you are looking for low light performance. I would go with the 500D and get the 50mm 1.8, though it is not as good as the 1.4, it does do a nice job in low light. And further down the road, with the canon, you have more to spend on lenses. The canon offers you the largest selection of lenses on the market.

I shoot a 500D and the pentax K-x, the pentax does hold it's own next to the 500D and 550D in the photo department. But like sony they do have a limited lens platform compare to canon.
What about the non AF light of the Pentax? Is that off putting at all?

Would you also say the K-x is equal to the quality of images etc etc that the Canon has?
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 5:29 PM   #16

The AF light is not a big issue for me. And not having them does not bother my brother. Who never had them before in his pns. So it is a issue that is individual based.

Yes I would say the iq of the pentax is about equal to the canon. Less noise to the higher iso, with a bit less detail. But both would fit my shooting style, and would do a good job in my next to no light shooting environment.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 9:11 PM   #17

I have tried to use the Auto Hdr setting on the Sony a550 and if there is any movement in the view, a double image remains. People walking...double. Swans coasting...double. So while there probably are some situations (interiors for example) where hand-held hdr may be useful, my hopes for it are slim for what I wanted.

I will say once you get used to even the rudimentary articulation of the Sony LCD, going back to fixed is awkward. And for your family shots, I bet there'll be times where you give your camera to someone else to take pics. They'll want Live View.

But the Canon has a poor-man's HD. There's no easy choice. Just different compromises.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 9:47 PM   #18

I read a bit about the Sony HX1. It, off-hand, looks like a pretty good super-zoom camera. What are you unhappy with? Do you like/want 16:9 stills?
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 6:15 AM   #19

My apologies for being out of contact.

I finally bought the Canon 500D along with 50mm F1.8 prime lens.I thought i ought to tell you guys.

And thank You very very much for helping me out.

@frank I don't have any problem with the HX1, its a great camera, I'm just giving it away to my fiancee.
Fhame Rashid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 6:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fhame Rashid View Post
My apologies for being out of contact.

I finally bought the Canon 500D along with 50mm F1.8 prime lens.I thought i ought to tell you guys.

And thank You very very much for helping me out.
Good luck with the new camera. I have the same combination and I'm
very happy with it. I wonder if you got the body only, or the 18-55mm kit?

Don't forget to show us some of your photos.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote