Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 24, 2010, 1:05 AM   #1

Default Photographing the Northern Lights?

Haven't bought or looked for another camera for 4 years [Sony DSC-H1]; obviously so many new models have come out since then that it makes my head spin.

Planning a trip in 2011 and figure this is as good a time as any for an upgrade. Specifically, wanting to get good shots of the Aurora Borealis. Also wouldn't mind a more compact camera for travel.

Appreciate any thoughts--thanks!
cjs123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2010, 9:25 AM   #2

cjs-

The Sony H-1 was an excellent camera. Please tell us how you plan to shoot these photos of the Northern Lights? Will it be through a telescope attachment or something of that nature? Will you be on the ground? All those factors come into play in this decision. Thanks in advance for the additional information.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 12:17 PM   #3

Hi Sarah - I do have a telephoto attachment lens that I often use [to photograph the moon] using the tele setting on the camera. I will be on the ground, seeing the lights from a viewing deck.

Figure whatever camera I take, I will need a small tripod [won't be in a position to bring a lot of gear].

Was told by someone who lives north of Fairbanks that there are some features to look for in a camera for photographing the lights: 24mm wide lens, up to 15-second exposure, F2.8, and up to 1600 ISO.

The Sony has the F2.8 and the longer exposure capabitiliy, a "wide" setting, and ISO up to 400.

While the moon shots with the Sony have been great, I have been unsuccessful in getting other night sky pictures; i.e., clouds, color around the moon, etc. Not sure the Sony would pick up the northern lights so well...?

Hope this additional info helps.

CJS

Last edited by cjs123; Jun 24, 2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 2:43 PM   #4

Decided to go with the Nikon d5000; practicing at home getting pics of the night sky and love how this camera picks up moonlight through clouds, etc. Going to spend the next few months getting acquainted with the Nikon so I can be ready by March 2011.