Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 24, 2010, 2:31 AM   #1

Default Panasonic ZR1, TZ10, Fujifilm 70EXR, or Casio H-10

I have done a lot of research looking at reviews and still cannot decide. I really wanted to buy the Sony Cybershot DCS H-20 because I have several Sony memory sticks but cannot find one. I want a camera that is small and compact, takes excellent pictures, has high optical/digital zoom, and easy to use. Pictures are primarily taken on vacation, parties, etc but also take a few to be used on ebay.

Narrowed it down to:

Panasonic Lumix DMC ZR1
Panasonic Lumic DMC TZ10 which had good reviews
on reviewgist but cannot find one. It may be the
same thing as the ZR7 but not sure.
Casio Exilm EX H-10

Advice? Recommendations? Thank you!
Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2010, 3:55 AM   #2

TZ10 = ZS7 Panasonic likes to use an utterly confusing nomenclature.

What you get is going to depend on your individual needs. I'm quite pleased with my ZS7 (aka TZ10 in Europe, etc.) but it is not well suited to indoor shooting without flash. (same goes for other cams in your list btw except the Fuji F70EXR).

On another note, avoid using digital zoom as much as possible. It will greatly degrade the quality of your photos.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:15 AM   #3

Tracy-

The Panasonic camera all have a weak built-in flash unit that IMO reduces their indoor image quality measurably. The only work around is to use a Slave Flash to add more light.

As well as the Casio EX-H-10, I would also add the EX-FH100 to your list .

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 12:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
The Panasonic camera all have a weak built-in flash unit that IMO reduces their indoor image quality measurably. The only work around is to use a Slave Flash to add more light.
The entire class is known for weak flash. It is specifically mentioned in the review for your Casio EX-FH100 as well.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 2:13 PM   #5

Five-O

That is very correct. These small compact/travel zoom cameras seem to uniformly have weak built-in flash units.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 27, 2010, 2:28 AM   #6

Thanks for the advice. I really like the Panasonic ZR7 and it seems to have positive reviews except for indoor pictures but before I purchase, please help me again. Choices now are Panasonic ZR7, Panasonic ZR1, or Panasonic FZ 35. Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 4:31 AM   #7

Tracy don't forget the $50 off at Amazon code if you go the ZS7 route...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:25 AM   #8

Tracy-

You mention the Panasonic FZ-35 now as a possibility. It is a somewhat larger camera, but it does not have the two inherent faults of the ZS7/TZ-10: framing your photo in bright sunshine on the LCD can be a chore, and the built-in flash, although slightly improved, it is still does not generate the optimal amount of light for good indoor image quality.

In contrast, the FZ-35 is a user friendly camera, with an EVF, or electronic View Finder, which removes the photo framing on the LCD screen in bright sunlight, and it has a more powerful built-in flash unit, thus improving indoor photo quality.

The design of the FZ-35 creates a camera that is 4.6 inches wide, by 3.5 inches tall, and 3,74 inches in depth weighing just 14 ounces. So the camera is very compact indeed. If the FZ-35 matches your shooting style, it would be a very good camera. We have a large group of FZ-35 users who are very active in our Panasonic P+S folder. So check out that folder. You will find lots of sample photos from the FZ-35 and many photo tips swapped between FZ-35 users.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 28, 2010, 11:16 PM   #9

Thanks y'all. I really liked the FZ-35 but decided it was just a bit to large and I would have to lug a bigger purse!!! Bought the black Panasonic TZ-10/ZR-7 on Amazon. Used the Amazon $50.00 off coupon and got free shipping so I'm very happy! Thanks LTZ470 for the coupon reminder. Total= 249.95. I could have saved a bit more if I had picked another color but black was the one I wanted. It will be here on Wednesday. Thanks again!!
Old Jun 29, 2010, 11:31 AM   #10

Tracy-

Many congratulations on your new camera, a TZ-10. Have fun.

Sarah Joyce