Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 24, 2010, 9:03 AM   #1

Default Camera to fit these goals

i am looking for a camera that will:
- take good pics of my crafts for my etsy page
- video (and zoom during video) for when the hubby races on the motorcycle track
- small enough to fit in my purse (preferable my pocket, but that's a big wish)
- good indoor photos for family gatherings

not a tough order, but there are so many cameras out there and i can't make up my mind. i've been saving up for this, so budget is a bit loose (not more than $350).

thanks for your help!!
dottcomm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2010, 11:08 AM   #2

dottcomm-

Those motorcycle shots will really need some zoom as well. Take a look at Panasonic's ZS series for starters. Then also take a look at the Casio EX-FH100 which is quite small in size, while offering 10X optical zoom.

In further research I have determined that the FH-100 may not be a good video choice. It uses the AVi format that result in large file sizes, you can only use digital zoom while filming, and your filming time is limited to 10 minutes.

Once again, that makes the Panasonic ZS6, which Costco still has on special at $240, I believe, one of the better choices for your "look at" list.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jun 24, 2010 at 11:31 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 12:20 PM   #3

thank you sarah joyce!

as for capturing the motorcycle on video, i know it's not going to be great. he just likes to see himself go fast around the corners.

i'll check out the panny. i noticed sony was not on your list, nor canon. i wish they'd come out with a good zoom pocketable camera.

if you were to but any p&s camera out there now, which would it be?
Old Jun 24, 2010, 1:05 PM   #4

Well dottcomm-

I just purchased a Casio EX-FH100 to give it a try. No, it does not zoom during filming a HD video, but the still photos are pretty good. This one was shot indoors without flash. The FH100 also does very good close-up photos and the FH100 is small enough for a pocket, or a purse.

If you would like to see a full resolution version of this photo, just click on this link:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ca...0_HgzMu-XL.jpg

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Jun 24, 2010 at 1:09 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 2:01 PM   #5

do you know the difference between the panny zs6 and the zs7? the only thing i can find is geo tagging (which i don't need). great price on costco.com, too! thanks!!

of all your cameras and the ones you've tried, which is your favorite?
Old Jun 24, 2010, 2:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottcomm1 View Post
do you know the difference between the panny zs6 and the zs7? the only thing i can find is geo tagging (which i don't need). great price on costco.com, too! thanks!!
If you want to take video clips interspersed with still shots, there’s a difference between the ZS6 and the ZS7 that might affect your decision.

--- The ZS7 has a dedicated record video button. While you’re taking still pictures, just press the video record button and you’re recording video. Press it again to stop video recording and you're back in still mode.

--- The Costco ZS6 has a different method. There’s a movie mode position on the function wheel. The wheel has to be turned 2 clicks from auto mode (or 3 clicks from program mode) to the movie mode position. Then press the shutter to start/stop video recording. Then rotate the wheel 2-3 clicks back to the still mode you were in. Not as fast and convenient as the ZS7 method.

Sky
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 3:06 PM   #7

Thanks a lot, Sky-

That is a great explanation. In addition, the ZS7 uses the AVCHD LITE video format and the ZS6 does not use the AVCHD LITE format. So the ZS6 requires more card space than the ZS7.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 24, 2010, 4:32 PM   #8

sarah joyce -

what's your thoughts on the zs3? and why have you decided the sony hx5 wasn't that great? i know you liked it at first, but not so much now.

and can you come shopping with me? this is tough!
Old Jun 24, 2010, 4:58 PM   #9

When the HX5 started consistently missing the indoor WB, the warts began to show. In fact that is what got me looking at the Casio FH100. And the fact that the FH100 is $90 cheaper did not hurt either.

The Panasonic ZS3 is OK, but it lacks the adjustment features found on the ZS7.

Sure, I love to shop. Where will we meet?

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 24, 2010, 5:23 PM   #10

ok. so the sony is out (i was set on it until now). what i need the camera mostly for is taking pics of my crafts: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dottcomm1/4594068140/ also, i want decent video. i have the panny tz5 now and am just not happy with it (which is why i shy away from the pannys), but i'll check out the zs7. any others to recommend?