Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 24, 2010, 9:45 AM   #1

Default T1i or T2i?

This will be my first dSLR. I know I'm not skilled enough yet to wring every last bit of performance out of it, but at the same time, I want to get something that will last me awhile.

My plan is to get the body with the EF 18-55 IS lens included, and to buy the EF 70-300 IS USM in addition. For the T1i, this works out to be about $1225, and for the T2i about $1400.

My picture habits tend mostly towards landscapes, with a fair amount of portraits too. The reason I am getting the 70-300 is because I have always wanted to be able to take long tele shots but have never been able to afford the hardware.

I originally was set on the T2i because I wanted the 4:3 screen. I know it will be an annoyance but probably not a deal breaker. Also, I can't seem to find the T2i in stock anywhere. The market seems to want me to buy the T1i instead.

Thanks for any advice.
Iniamyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2010, 11:04 AM   #2

Iniamyen-

Both are good cameras. The T2i has the high ISO advantage. However, keep in mind that you will probably want an additional lenses, and an external flash really makes a difference. So factor those items into the budget.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 11:33 AM   #3

Can you elaborate on what led you to narrow your choice down to those two cameras?

The reason I ask is that, since landscape photography seems to be a primary goal of yours, dSLRs from Nikon, Pentax and Sony have a slight advantage in that area. Canon's APS-C dSLRs have a slightly smaller image sensor, so the same focal length lens has a slightly narrower angle of view. The difference isn't great, but if the objective is to shoot wide angles, the Canon starts off with a disadvantage.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 12:36 PM   #4

mtclimber, my budget is negotiable in the sense that I can spend $100-$200 extra as long as I'm spending it on something that I will notice a difference in. So this is pointing towards the T2i.

TCav, the main things that led me to these specifically were the price point (below $1000) and my brand loyalty to Canon, as the point and shoot cameras I've owned in the past were Canons and I've been happy with them.

I mentioned landscapes and portraits because that's what I have been limited to in a P&S... but I'd really like to be able to shoot telephoto (wildlife mainly.) This is part of the reason I want to get a dSLR.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 1:15 PM   #5

What type(s) of wildlife?

The 70-300 would be good for large animals at a distance, and medium animals and large birds closer, but if you want to capture soaring birds or small animals in the distance, you'll need something longer, heavier, and more expensive.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 2:29 PM   #6

It would be mostly birds, at probably 100ft distance (possibly more.)

I also notice the 70-200 L-series IS lens gets a lot of praise. Maybe it would be best to get this as an intermediate telephoto and then in the future get a longer-distance lens?

edit: I Meant the 70-200 L-series with USM.

Last edited by Iniamyen; Jun 24, 2010 at 2:38 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 3:08 PM   #7

The Canon 70-300 IS USM is a very good lens. The 70-200 is also a very good lens, but it wouldn't help you do anything that the 70-300 IS USM won't, and it's shorter.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 4:55 PM   #8

If HD is important the 550D is not they are pretty equal in the photo department.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 10:04 AM   #9

There's some of the T2i 2-lens kit for sale at my local Costco for $1369 (18-55 IS and 70-300 IS USM.) If the optical quality of these is a good "starting point" for me, I may pick this up. Is this a good deal? I can't seem to find it in-stock anywhere else.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 10:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The Canon 70-300 IS USM is a very good lens. The 70-200 is also a very good lens, but it wouldn't help you do anything that the 70-300 IS USM won't, and it's shorter.
Isn't the 70-200 l series a 2.8? which would make it considerably better in low light?
jmp2204 is offline   Reply With Quote