Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 25, 2010, 11:19 PM   #21

With flash, you often get those dust orbs as pictured above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Jo View Post
Hi, me again.

A TV advert here is flaunting a fancy Canon with what looks like a good zoomer. SX210 IS - any good for me as a compact?

Also, I stumbled across a thread in which many people like the Panasonic FZ 35 or 38. I also found some lovely pictures it takes on Flikr. So I have a few questions to see if it is ok for me.

1, It looks enormous (I see its lightweight)- how does it compare size wise with the Panasonic TZ7 I had before. Its difficult for me to get to a shop to see it for myself.

2. Will it be too advanced for me. Does it have 'automatic/idiot' mode until I can get enrolled on a digi cam course in September.

3. All the pictures I saw were out doors, how does it fair indoors?

All your advice and input is very much appreciated

Jo
:-)
1. It's nearly the same size as the ZS7. (TZ10 in Europe)
2. It does have an auto mode; no worries.
3. Not well but a hair better than the ZS7.

Other info: I have heard from more than a few owners of the SX210 that the lens sucks. If you check the reviews, you will also see it in the lens charts. That's one of the primary reasons I avoided it. I am partial to Canon colors and they are always the first brand I look to but for me, if the lens sucks, you can only do so much with the rest.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 11:34 PM   #22

Jo-

Dust orbs only affected the Canon SX-200 camera. I would rate the SX-210 as only OK, but nothing special. Either the Canon Sx120, or the Panasonic TZ-10 would serve you better.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2010, 10:23 AM   #23

Thanks Sandeepsaman, much appreciated.

So, the SX-210 is out then, thanks for that FiveO and Sarah Joyce, looks nice on the TV

Sarah Joyce, what do you think about that Panasonic FZ 35 or 38 - now I know its an ok size

Would anyone happen to know which Panasonic TZ camera I would have had in either August, September or October 2007 ? I definitely had it to go away early Nov but cant remember exactly when I bought it. It got damaged when i dropped it so I dont have it anymore but it was quite newly released.

I wasnt 100 % impressed for the money I spent, but its size and outdoor shots were good and so was the zoom. Indoor not so good.

So, would the FZ 35 be better than the one I had, if of course we can work out which one I did have lol

If I'm getting on your nerves with all these questions please tell me where to go, I wont be offended :-)
Crazy Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2010, 11:19 AM   #24

Jo-

Panasonic has improved the TZ-series substantially since 2007. It is just a guess, but I would estimate that you probably had the TZ-5 model. The current model is the TZ-10, and it is an improved camera. In my opinion, although I have a TZ -10 myself, the issues are framing your photo in bright sunlight are difficult to to referring only to the LCD screen. And secondly, the built-in flash range on the TZ-10 is limited to a distance of 9 to 10 feet. Anything more distant, results in a darker and under exposed photo.

The FZ-35/38, are identical cameras, excepting that the FZ-38 has been modified to comply with the EU rules on video recording, which limits the video clip done by a digital camera to less than 30 minutes. As long as you are ease with the size of the FZ-35/38 it is a very user friendly and high quality camera. Both issues, posed by the TZ-10 model are nicely address in the FZ-35/38. There is indeed a proper EVF (electronic View Finder) so you will not find your self battling with trying to frame your photo in bright sunlight on a LCD that you can hardly see clearly, and the built in flash on the FZ-35/38 is more powerful than the one found on the TZ-10. So, all in all the FZ-35/38 is indeed a better camera, but still weighing just 14 ounces.

On the the FZ-35/38 you will have a full 18X optical zoom (28mm to 504mm) compared to the 12X optical zoom (25mm to 300mm) on the TZ-10 camera. In addition you will also have more features on the FZ-35/38 compared to the TZ-10 camera. The FZ-35/38 works very well indeed in its automatic mode just as does the TZ-10 camera.

Yes, I think you can handle the FZ-35/38 due to its inherent user friendliness. I see that you have check out the Panasonic P+S folder, and have no doubt seen all of the FZ-35/38 sample photos and camera tips that folder contains.

If the FZ-35/38 fits your budget, Jo, and the physical camera size is OK, then the FZ-35/38 is clearly the better choice in cameras.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 26, 2010, 11:36 AM   #25

Jo my money is on the FZ35/38 I have 3 of them! They are very light and are quite the performer for $300...there are options also for a Teleconverter and a Macro Converter which work well...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2010, 11:46 AM   #26

Oh Sarah Joyce, you deserve a medal for your patience :-)

Right, i think I have made my choice. I now need to find something in the house similar in size or some pictures that will give me a good idea of its actual size so I can see if its going to be ok for me to traipse around with 18 hours a day.

Also, batteries, are LI-ION batteries small and is there any make which is better than others when i come to buy a spare.

Finally do SD cards vary in capability or just in GBs, and again any particular make you would recommend or avoid?

Thanks again Jo - scuttling off to find boxes lol
Old Jun 26, 2010, 11:50 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
Jo my money is on the FZ35/38 I have 3 of them! They are very light and are quite the performer for $300...there are options also for a Teleconverter and a Macro Converter which work well...

Teleconverter and macro convertor, forgive me but my double dutch is a little rusty

3 of them ! You are a fan indeed :-)

I doubt it will come in so cheap here in the UK, I dont think our government believes in advancing technology, but I will certainly hunt down a good price. I will need to save a little extra I think, my budget was 250 but I dont mind upping it for something I am very happy with.

I dont suppose you are able to take a picture of it up against something that I can get a good idea of its dimensions could you. No worries if you cant :-)
Old Jun 26, 2010, 1:41 PM   #28

Jo-

The FZ-45/38 weighs 14 ounces and measures 4.6 inches wide, by 3 inches tall, by 3.5 inches deep. The FZ-35/38 does indeed use a lithium ion battery. If you are going to use a third party battery be sure they guarantee that it will work with Panasonic. In terms of SD cards, you will need a class 6 for taking video clips in which ev er size you desire. If you are just taking still shots, a class 4 card will be sufficient.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jun 26, 2010 at 1:45 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 1:59 PM   #29

Thanks again Sarah Joyce

This site is pure addiction. I am loving looking at peoples photos and I find my interest in photography increasing by the minute. Dont get me wrong, the terminology etc is all double dutch right now but just looking at the pics is fantastic.

I havent found a comparative box with all 3 dimensions yet, only one which is the exact width and height lol. So just need to sort the depth and job done lol

So no make battery or card is better or worse than the other as long as they are compatible, briiliant ! I will get a class 6 for taking some clips I think

Now to find a good deal :-)
Old Jun 26, 2010, 3:24 PM   #30

Jo-

You moving along smoothly.

Sarah Joyce