Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 24, 2010, 9:11 PM   #1

Default first DSLR - Canon XS vs Nikon D3000

Hi guys, first of all I did see the other thread that compared the XS and D3000 but that seemed to be focused only on sports photography so I was wondering if some of you guys could give me some advice about what is best for the type of photography I want to do.

I'm looking at buying my first DSLR, however I'm a student so I want something that is also affordable. Preferably around 500 CAD, a little more is okay though I dont really want to spend more than 600. I have looked into the XS and D3000 because they seem like great cameras both in my price range. I'm looking at doing a lot of photography of nature (flowers, sunsets, etc....stuff when you go hiking), and some portrait/fashion photography just for fun. I kind of preferred the feel of the nikon in store, and the guide mode is neat but I'm worried it might be a bit too simple since I do want to learn how to create good pictures manually. Does the D3000 have the same range of manual capabilities that the XS does? A friend of mine also was taking about a mirror-lock feature she says is good for shooting in lower light conditions that the nikons dont have...is this really that useful?

Any help concerning what sort of DSLR would be good for me would be greatly loved! Or if there is a different camera that you think would be better for me I am definitely open to any suggestions.... Thanks!
SeaOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2010, 9:24 PM   #2

For what you want to do, either would be a good choice. The only real problem is that, for portraiture, the kinds of large aperture lenses you'll probably want, won't autofocus on the D3000 because it doesn't have a built-in autofocus motor. But if you like the feel of the D3000 then go with it.

The mirror lockup feature is only useful for macrophotography, when you're trying to prevent camera shake while the camera is mounted on a tripod. If that's not something you plan on doing, don't worry about it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 9:44 PM   #3

SeaOtter-

You might have more features if you stepped up to the Canon XSi. The Nikon D-3000 and D-5000 have a limited selection of lens that can be used on them.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2010, 12:27 AM   #4

Thanks for the advice and help you guys
I went to the camera store and ended up talking to one of they guys there and like you suggested mtclimber I think I am going to go with the XSi, I figure I will be more happy with it and have it for a longer time period in the end.

Thanks!
SeaOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2010, 2:00 PM   #5

Congratulations, SeaOtter-

That is a very good decision.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote