Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 24, 2010, 8:30 PM   #1

Default Great HD Camcorder that takes great stills?

Hey guys. I'm so glad to have run across this forum. I have found more valuable info in this one forum than all others combined.Thanks! I have been looking for a solution to my neverending turmoil of toting my camera and camcorder to every function my daughter has. My question is this:
What is the better route to go? I see digital stills cameras that have 720p video capability and I see camcorders which have the ability to do multi megapixel stills. I do more filming than stills so I would assume a camcorder would be better suiting but if I can find a compact/ultra-compact camera which gives the same quality video I will definitely go that route purely for the size.
To give a little history, I have been using a canon powershot 3 megapixel camera for stills and a sony digital 8 sd camcorder for video. Obviously its been a while since I purchased a camera/camcorder! I swore I was not going to buy another until I found a good hybrid. I'm not worried about 1080p and huge megapixel stills. Just 720p and at least 3mp stills. If I can get at least any improvement over both of my old cams in one device, I will be thrilled!
hellogoodbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2010, 8:41 PM   #2

hellogoodbye-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

Ironically camera that take HD video have developed better, than camcorders that also take still photos. My suggestion would be the Canon SD-4000 that does excellent stills in the Automatic mode with a very good HD video capability.

If you would like to check out the SD-4000 still shots there is a thread already in progress in this folder.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 8:42 PM   #3

You should run out and get a compact SD video camera and a smallish P&S. Wear a jacket. each in a pocket. Done. Don't keep waiting for the grail. Your daughter's life is shifting sand. You're the anchor.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 12:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Ironically camera that take HD video have developed better, than camcorders that also take still photos.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
You should run out and get a compact SD video camera and a smallish P&S. Wear a jacket. each in a pocket. Done. Don't keep waiting for the grail.
SD? I think that ship sailed and sunk long ago. I agree about getting the additional P&S cam though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellogoodbye View Post
What is the better route to go? I see digital stills cameras that have 720p video capability and I see camcorders which have the ability to do multi megapixel stills. I do more filming than stills so I would assume a camcorder would be better suiting but if I can find a compact/ultra-compact camera which gives the same quality video I will definitely go that route purely for the size.
Well cameras have come a long way in terms of video, but they still can't compare to a good dedicated camcorder. They can't even come close. Loud zooms, poor sound and useless low-light ability are just a few of the issues you will encounter. The cameras are fine for short candid clips but based on your comment - "I do more filming than stills" - you're doing a lot more than some short clips.

Check out this Panasonic HDC-TM700 review or the Sony HDR-CX500V review. What Sarah Joyce said is absolutely true but if you really need to shoot proper video, a dedicated camcorder is a far better choice. Another option as mentioned above is to get a small P&S to go along with the camcorder. The P&S will most likely give better still quality than any dedicated camcorder.