Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 26, 2010, 10:09 PM   #1

Default Need fast shot 2 shot camera that is light.

I use this to take pics of water skiers. Have some arthritis in hands so I need something light to hold. Thanks in advance.
Buckee1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:29 AM   #2

Buckee-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

Are these photos taken from the boat towing the skier? It sounds like a fair amount of zoom would be required. Have you considered how much zoom would be required?

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 1:35 PM   #3

Thank you for the welcome.
Yes, the pics are taken from the boat. The skier is being towed at a fast speed (55kph) on a shorter than normal rope.
I have been using Lumix ZS3 12X Zoom. Have been lucky and caught a few great pics. The zoom set at 8 seems to be best.
However, I would like to have a quick shot 2 shot camera that is light in weight. Am i dreaming about a camera with this ability?
Just tried a Lumix FZ35 but found it quite slow (maybe I set it incorrectly?)
I would love any suggestions.
Thank you.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 1:46 PM   #4

Buckee-

The FZ-35 should have worked well for you. Can you share with us how you had it set-up? It appears that something went wrong. Also, how fast do those two shot have to be?

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 27, 2010, 2:18 PM   #5

Sarah Joyce:
The camera setting have been cleared as I had re-packed the camera to take it back to the store. I know it was on the sports setting for outdoors and I also tried the panning setting. I could only shoot 3 in a row and missed the skier almost every time. Several pics were over-exposed.
The shots have to be almost instant as you follow the skier. With the AS3 camera, I could guess where the skier might be next and shoot.
Buckee
Old Jun 27, 2010, 2:20 PM   #6

Sorry ZS3
Old Jun 27, 2010, 2:32 PM   #7

Buckee-

Thanks for the info on the FZ-35. I can see that you need faster shooting speed. Perhaps the Sony HX-1 which can shoot 10 fps, or one of the Casio high Speed cameras than can go as high as 40 fps.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 27, 2010, 2:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckee1939 View Post
Yes, the pics are taken from the boat. The skier is being towed at a fast speed (55kph) on a shorter than normal rope.
I have been using Lumix ZS3 12X Zoom. Have been lucky and caught a few great pics. The zoom set at 8 seems to be best.
However, I would like to have a quick shot 2 shot camera that is light in weight. Am i dreaming about a camera with this ability?
The newer cameras that have "pre capture" capability might work for your situation.

Here's a video for the Samsung TL350/WB2000 that is rumored to be released in August 2010. Check the pre-capture part. The TL350/WB2000 will have a name brand lens with 5x zoom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcE7EpyEwb0

Another camera with pre-capture is the Casio EX-FH100 which has already been released. It has 10x zoom.

I'm not familiar with the image quality of either camera. Both cameras are also capable of high shots per second rates though the megapixel size per shot can be reduced as the frame rate increases.

Sky

Last edited by skylark; Jun 27, 2010 at 2:51 PM. Reason: added zoom values
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 3:23 PM   #9

Sarah Joyce and Sky:
Thank you for the info. Will go this afternoon and check out the Sony and Casio.
I will let you know and if you think of anything else that I might want to check please let me know.
Buckee
Old Jun 27, 2010, 6:03 PM   #10
Super Moderator

I'm not fully up to speed with the cameras currently in this range in relation to continuous shooting speeds but as a sports shooter and ex slalom water skier I can give you hopefully some helpful info. You will want manual exposure and manual focus to help with shooting speeds and quality.

When shooting with water, sky, spray then the metering can really be messed up so it is better to use a manual exposure setting. If you are shooting slalom then it's easy, you have two main directions to shoot so once you know the lighting for them you are fine, even if not then usually the boats will run the same directions most of the time. If you find shooting manual exposure too hard (it might be tricky at first but worth getting used to it) then you can set aperture priority and some positive or negative exposure compensation to get the exposure correct. You will probably find that one direction needs one compensation value and the other a different one, but it's easy to change once you know what is needed. Don't forget, with 99.9% of all sports shots your subject is the person and you want their skin tones (face) to be exposed correctly. There are times when you might want an arty silhouette shot in an evening with the water exposed properly and the rider dark but that's something to aim for later.

Also, as the distance from the camera to the skier isn't really changing then you can set manual focus, this will again mean that the camera doesn't have to focus prior to you shooting which is a big help in speed. Just set the focus and leave it.... so much easier than a lot of situations.

Any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.