Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 28, 2010, 3:59 PM   #11

The biggest pro with the canon, it's that they have the largest lenses selection on the market. If you were looking to add more lenses, it is easier to find entry level lenses for the canon then the pentax. You get a decent mid level lenses form pentax, that are comparable to the canon lenses in performance and quality.

The 2 lenses kit on the pentax is a excellent set up. The DAL 55-300mm is very sharp at 300mm, and has more reach then the canon 55-250mm. So the big pro of the pentax is it is the best bang for the buck, and was award TIPA's top entry level dslr.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jun 29, 2010 at 1:29 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 7:03 PM   #12

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions.

Shoturtle those are great pics, thanks for posting them. I'm assuming those birds were in motion the whole time so I think the autofocus did pretty well for you in that situation. That is one thing that is on my mind as the Canon T1i has superior autofocus, I feared that if I went with the Pentax that I wouldn't have the ability to get good pics while the subject was moving.

My wife and I both went today to take a look at both the T1i and K-x today. She too thought that the Pentax fit her hands a lot better. However, we both agreed that the T1i was noticeably lighter, especially with the 55-300 lens. After we left I asked her which one she would choose if she had to choose right away and she thought the K-x. I just asked her again and she once again said Pentax. I think its important that she likes it because she will be using it more than me.

I've read good things about the Sanyo Eneloop batteries from previous threads so I'm more comfortable with the idea of AA's now. The eneloop's come with a charger in some packages but I've read about a Maha charger. Is the Maha charger required or just better than the one provided?

If going with the T1i do you recommend the Tamron 70-300 Di LD or Canon 75-300mm lens?

JohnG do you have a recommendation for an external flash for a beginner? I haven't even considered or researched external flashes, can you give me a starting point that I should look into (name brand or pricing)

Any comments would be appreciated.

Last edited by fawks99; Jun 28, 2010 at 7:08 PM.
fawks99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 7:22 PM   #13

Ok. Your wife told you TWICE that she wants the Pentax.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 8:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawks99 View Post

If going with the T1i do you recommend the Tamron 70-300 Di LD or Canon 75-300mm lens?

Any comments would be appreciated.
no , not if your concerned with very good quality shots . I think now it's like putting a 2 cyl motor in an f1 race car .

70-300mm yes

I firmly believe after using them in my s5 the AA batteries are more convenient .
jmp2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 10:36 PM   #15

the tamron is slightly better the the canon 75-300mm, but they are both low end lenses and are really not that good. The tamron is the best form the bottom of the barrel.

The kit lenses of the pentax are much sharper in the long end, and focus very fast. That is the lens I took the bird shots with.

But the pentax seems to be the best fit for your wife and you. Go with it. It is a great camera.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 1:39 AM   #16

external flash for the pentax, the pentax flash are good, so are the metz 48. With canon you can get the canon flash, the metz 48 also and the nissin di622.

With the charger, the one that is provide is not as good as the maha, as they do not charge each battery individually. I got an inexpensive charger that does charge them individually. This allow for longer battery life.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 8:05 AM   #17

Shoturtle- what charger do you have?
fawks99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 8:15 AM   #18

Default Battery charger opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawks99 View Post
Shoturtle- what charger do you have?
I wouldn't spend too much time on this point. Batteries are cheap. It's nice to have whole sets of the same type and several battery chargers of the same design. Leave one at home and put one in your bag. You'll be using them 4 at a time in the camera anyway. While charging them individually is the BEST way to go, it's not worth much to me.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:37 AM   #19

I have 2, one I carry with me and one I keep at home. This one is the one I keep at home which does 8 at a time. But will work with the eneloops also.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/8800.html
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:25 AM   #20

hey fawks , while searching for a 70 -300 mm locally i found this

http://www.fotosource.com/downloads/....htm#/mag_EN/0

looks like a good deal on the pentax
jmp2204 is offline   Reply With Quote