Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 29, 2010, 3:57 PM   #21

Pentax K-x looks like a nice little camera. As i have said before though, it is the non-lighting up of the AF spots that is the only concern for me. Otherwise i would be buying one tomorrow!!

The other camera i like is the Canon 450D.
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 7:30 PM   #22

Thanks JMP. I was just there on Sunday and not a mention of this price. I think it was listed at $899. Probably a part-time employee there for the weekend and didn't know about the flyer.

Asked wife again today about what camera to buy and she wasn't stuck on the Pentax as much as before. This time is due to the long term outlook for our camera. I think its safe to say that if we go with Pentax or Canon that we would likely want/have to stay with that brand in the future because of the lens investments that we will make while using this camera.

For example, 8 years down the road lets say we want to get a new camera body or ours breaks we would likely go with something that our old lenses would fit. So the decision for us now becomes Canon or Pentax now, and in the future.

I'm sure we'll get to know the lens lineups and quirks of any manufacturer, and once we start building Pentax or Canon gear, we'll tend to stick with that manufacturer because changing all the glass again would be too troublesome. I realize that we could buy whatever we wanted when the time comes and re-invest in lenses but why would you if you have decent lens just sitting there. Both companies have been around forever so I think we would be o.k either way but it makes a tough decision a little harder.

Last edited by fawks99; Jun 29, 2010 at 7:32 PM.
fawks99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 8:23 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawks99 View Post
... For example, 8 years down the road lets say we want to get a new camera body or ours breaks we would likely go with something that our old lenses would fit. So the decision for us now becomes Canon or Pentax now, and in the future.
That is and has always been the case. The Canon selection of OEM and third party lenses and accessories is second to none. The shortcomings in the Pentax line is long standing. If you can find what you want and need now, chances are that won't change anytime in the foreseeable future, unless your needs change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawks99 View Post
We will use the camera mostly to capture our 3 young boys running around the house and other family outings (Zoo, parks, birthday parties, cottage, backyard, etc)
Is that likely to change? If not, and you can do what you want with the Pentax, then it's likely that you'll always be able to do what you want with the Pentax.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:31 PM   #24

With lenses canon is second to none, I shot canon for years and all my older lenses work find on the canon. And the newer lenses work great also.

But the question about expanding in the future is a good one. But pentax do have a decent progression path between pentax, tamron and sigma lenses. Unless you are looking to move up to pro lenses, I can not see a gap in the pentax lenses line that can not cover want you are interested in shooting.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:38 PM   #25

PS

With the pentax, older k mount lens will work with their camera. Like older eos lens will work with the canon. I do not think pentax will replace their k mount FA or DA lenses anytime soon, as k mounts form the 80's will work on the latest pentax bodies. As pentax seems to do a good job with backward compatibility.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jun 29, 2010 at 9:40 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 2:00 PM   #26

No problem Fawks , ask yourself if your going to be taking pictures of the kids playing hockey / baseball /soccer ?
jmp2204 is offline   Reply With Quote