Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 27, 2010, 9:15 AM   #1

Default Pentax K-x or Canon T1i

Hi, after our p&s camera failed us I think we've decided to go with an entry level DSLR. I started another thread previous to this one.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wh...some-help.html

We thought we were going to go with the FZ35 but after pondering for a couple weeks we've increased our budget and decided to go with DSLR. We want/need to have some sort of video recording so that left us with either the Pentax K-x, Canon T1i or the Nikon 5000D in the entry level catagory. We would like to keep the cost below $1000 with a 2 lens kit.

We have been around to a few shops and held and played with all three and narrowed it down to the Pentax K-x and the Canon T1i.

We will use the camera mostly to capture our 3 young boys running around the house and other family outings (Zoo, parks, birthday parties, cottage, backyard, etc)

I have to admit that I like the way the Pentax feels a bit better than the Canon. It is a bit heavier probably due to the inner steel frame and the AA batteries. I was concerned about the batteries at first but from what I've read from this forum there are good rechargeable batteries out now and it shouldn't be an issue.

I've read that the Canon is quicker at auto-focusing a moving target which would come in handy for action shots but the K-x seems to do an O.K job too, again I'm going from what I've read.

Another con for the Pentax is the lack of AF target in the viewfinder. Is this going to be a huge issue or is it fine the way it is?

The Pentax is lower in price. Here is Canada I can pick up a K-x with a 18-55mm and 55-300mm f3.5-5.6 AL lens for $849 (Henry's) or $730 (ebay seller). It is also available with 18-55mm and 50-200mm WR lens kit for $800 (Black's)

The T1i is a bit more.
#1- EF-S 18-55mm IS and EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6IS. $999 (Henry's)
#2- EF-S 18-55mm IS and EF 75-300mm f4-5.6 USM II/IIIAF $899 (Henry's)

There may be other lens kits available for the canon or lower prices, if you know of any that are available to Canadian customers online feel free to direct me toward them.

Any comments are welcome and eel free to correct any misconceptions that I have.
fawks99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:14 AM   #2

fawkes-

Thanks for the new thread as we wend our way toward your decision. One adjustment in your proposal on the Canon T-1, I would definitely NOt consider the Canon 75-30mm lens, as it is not a particularly good lens. It was a lens that was developed on the basis of price rather than optical performance. In its place I would suggest that you substitute the Canon 55-250mm lens which has much better optical quality and a bit longer reach.

Likewise in your suggested kit for the Pentax Kx, I would suggest the Pentax 55-300mm lens in place of the Pentax 50-200mm lens, again absed on optical performance.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:20 AM   #3

A lot has been made about the Pentax not illuminating the AF point in the viewfinder. I use my Nikon D90 for sports/action/wildlife shooting, and with the combination of settings I use, the AF points don't light anyway, and I haven't missed them.

If the K-x feels better to you, that's a big plus. But if you'll be shooting sports, the Canon's AF system will do a better job.

If you go with the T1i, I suggest you skip the Canon 75-300. It's not very good, and the Tamron 70-300 Di LD is better and cheaper.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 12:50 PM   #4

TCav & Fawks-

I would thing that the fast focusing of the T1i would be very useful in your style of shooting.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 12:59 PM   #5

Since you're not talking sports or bird-in-flight shooting, the pentax K-X is perfectly capable. But I strongly recommend whichever you go for, you make plans for an external flash - it will dramatically improve your indoor shots of your kids.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 2:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
fawkes-

I would definitely NOt consider the Canon 75-30mm lens, as it is not a particularly good lens. It was a lens that was developed on the basis of price rather than optical performance. In its place I would suggest that you substitute the Canon 55-250mm lens which has much better optical quality and a bit longer reach.

Sarah Joyce
I have had the 75 -300mm non is for about a month, i find it falls short of what i'm looking for .For the $$ it's alright , (I'm looking to go the 70 300 mm is but it's also 3x the money) If the 55-250 is better , go with it as you will not lose much zoom. BOLD 2 is that a typo 55-250 reaches out further than the 75-300?

If you think you may consider shooting sports down the road look at the canon
jmp2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 2:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
I would thing that the fast focusing of the T1i would be very useful in your style of shooting.
Yes, the T1i would be better, but the K-x wouldn't be bad. The K-x really falls down when using longer lenses, as there aren't really any long lenses for it that focus quickly enough for sports. There's nothing from Pentax, and only a few of Sigma's long lens are available for the Pentax mount, and some of those don't have the HSM motor.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 2:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp2204 View Post
... is that a typo 55-250 reaches out further than the 75-300?
That's a mistake.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 4:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawks99 View Post
Hi, after our p&s camera failed us I think we've decided to go with an entry level DSLR. I started another thread previous to this one.

We thought we were going to go with the FZ35 but after pondering for a couple weeks we've increased our budget and decided to go with DSLR. We want/need to have some sort of video recording so that left us with either the Pentax K-x, Canon T1i or the Nikon 5000D in the entry level catagory. We would like to keep the cost below $1000 with a 2 lens kit.

We have been around to a few shops and held and played with all three and narrowed it down to the Pentax K-x and the Canon T1i.

We will use the camera mostly to capture our 3 young boys running around the house and other family outings (Zoo, parks, birthday parties, cottage, backyard, etc)

I have to admit that I like the way the Pentax feels a bit better than the Canon. It is a bit heavier probably due to the inner steel frame and the AA batteries. I was concerned about the batteries at first but from what I've read from this forum there are good rechargeable batteries out now and it shouldn't be an issue.

I've read that the Canon is quicker at auto-focusing a moving target which would come in handy for action shots but the K-x seems to do an O.K job too, again I'm going from what I've read.

Another con for the Pentax is the lack of AF target in the viewfinder. Is this going to be a huge issue or is it fine the way it is?

The Pentax is lower in price. Here is Canada I can pick up a K-x with a 18-55mm and 55-300mm f3.5-5.6 AL lens for $849 (Henry's) or $730 (ebay seller). It is also available with 18-55mm and 50-200mm WR lens kit for $800 (Black's)

The T1i is a bit more.

There may be other lens kits available for the canon or lower prices, if you know of any that are available to Canadian customers online feel free to direct me toward them.

Any comments are welcome and eel free to correct any misconceptions that I have.
henry's will price match and/or negotiate as well

for me T2i was 999.00 with 18-55 +tax (13% in Ont)
Cnd ebay seller was 900.00 taxes in . henry's said that was below their cost , but would do 900.00 + tax so that tells me you should be able to get them down at least 100.00 if not more (3 items to mark up)

could be wrong but i thought i saw the T1i in the 6's low 7's when searching for my T2i(in the US)???? not sure if with lenses or not???

get the t1i with the 2 lense package but the 250 mm not the 75-300
jmp2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 3:29 PM   #10

I shoot the T1i and the pentax k-x, and for your needs both with do the job nicely. If you go with the pentax, as it seems the ergo seems more to your liking, just get 2 sets of eneloop rechargeable batteries, and you will be set. 4AA actually takes more photos then my canon with the litium battery. So the battery issues really is a non issue. I get about 450 shots on the canon, and about 650 with the pentax not using the flash.

The canon has a bit better AF system, but the pentax is not that far behind. The pentax is a bit better at noise control at higher iso, but you do lose a bit of details.

I have done a head to head comparison of the low light performance of the t1i next to the pentax. And have samples of the pentax in action shoot posted on steves. I you have any question about either camera, feel free to send me a message.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...canon-t1i.html

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wi...birds-nyc.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by fawks99 View Post

The T1i is a bit more.