Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:33 PM   #1

Default Amateur needs camera for pics of pets and children

I currently have a Panasonic DMC FZ1, with 2 mp and 10 zoom. I bought it new and use it for point and shoot. I've gotten some really good shots with it.
I have a pet rescue and new babies in the family. They all move fast, turn their head at the last sec.

So I'm looking for an inexpensive point and shoot with the following:

Great image stablization for less blurry pics
Faster shutter release than a Nikon Coolpix 4100 (have that one too)
Short close-up videos to post on rescue site

My niece has a Nikon Coolpix L21 and loves it for her active family pics. I saw them online and it captured pics of the kids diving into the pool in mid air. Great photos.

I have been reading Steve's forums and newbie questions tonight until my brain is fried..haha.

Any help is appreciated. Tight budget which shortens the list, I know.

Thanks!
Brenda
hissandtell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:52 PM   #2

Hi Brenda, welcome to the forums! I find it entertaining here, but I just may need a life LOL. As an animal lover, I thank you for what you do.

About your camera, what is your budget? That would give us a better idea of how to "help" you...

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:07 AM   #3

Hi Robert, thx for responding! I really can't go over $150 now and feel guilty spending that when I could have 3 animals s/n for that. But I do need to get some good shots posted of them so they have a better chance of being adopted. They always turn their head at the last minute. My Panny FZ1 might be able to handle that but I have no idea how.

The Nikon Coolpix L21/22 is something to compare to when trying to help me. I really don't like using AA batteries, but good pics/short videos would be worth it.

Btw, I see you are in Pensacola. How are your beaches? Have you taken shots of it yet? I am visiting my kids in Sannibel and no tar balls here yet.

Thx,
Brenda
Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:49 AM   #4

Hi Brenda, I hope for a miracle every day, and hope this mess stays away from you. Here's a picture I took Saturday ( I took many, actually). This shows the oily sand and the clean up effort going on.

This is a pic of a tiny string of crude making its way in.Today I went out to the beach and it was beautiful. It comes and goes, and gets worse each time it returns.

Now, about a camera. You know for $150 you wont get a camera with blazing speed, so the problem with the dog turning his head won't go away. In that price range I know of only one, but I'm not as familiar with these kinds of cameras as someone who owns several, like mtclimber( Sarah Joyce). Have you looked at the Kodak z915 I think it is. Here's a link to B&H Photo:http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...specifications

While you're there, look at the others and read the reviews.

I just re-read your post. With your FZ-1, have you tried locking focus before shooting the animal? If you lock focus, it's unlikely the animal will move enough to spoil the shot. Then you wait until he's looking at you, and take the pic. The lag which causes the missed shot is the time between pushing the shutter button, achieving focus, and actually capturing thr image on the sensor. So to " shorten the trip" you eliminate the focussing part, which is the most time consuming. Make any sense?

Maybe Sarah Joyce will chime in, she is very helpful on these camera buying issues. Good luck!

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 9:06 AM   #5

Hi Robert,

I'm sorry you are seeing the oil already. I can barely wrap my brain around this crisis. Thx for sharing the pics.

I have not tried your suggestion of locking focus on my FZ1. I'll try it today. With only 2 mp, the camera takes awesome pics. I know I can't get much for $150. I've seen your reviews/posts on the KodakZ915 and may give that a try.

I'll be lurking around, reading posts and try to educate myself on using the digital cameras. I did take a class once, but didn't get much out of it.

Thx again.

Brenda
Old Jun 28, 2010, 11:42 AM   #6

Hi Brenda-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

I have caught up on things by following your exchange with Robert. In that price range there are only two cameras worth consideration the best one is the Kodak Z-915. You will find it everywhere for $129, but you also see it occasionally at place like Staples, for $99. There is a fancier model, the Kodak Z-950 that even does HD video, and got a recent great review. www.Amazon has it for $139.00, while everywhere else you will find it for $169 to $189, so that is a pretty good savings.

Both cameras are purse size, and come with a full 1 year guarantee, they also have a pretty good built-in flash unit as well for indoor photos. Both cameras also have full manual and full automatic controls, so the control set-up, after your experience with the Panasonic FZ-1 (I also have an FZ-1 as well) will be very familiar to you. As another nice thing, when you are in "P" or Programed Auto you can make most adjustments right on the LCD screen. I have attached a link below to some dog photos taken with the Kodak Z-950 camera.

Sarah Joyce

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ko...-dog-z950.html

Last edited by mtclimber; Jun 28, 2010 at 12:10 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2010, 10:18 AM   #7

Sarah, sorry for the delay in getting back with you. I'm on vacation and haven't had much internet time.

I just left Office Depot and didn't see the two Kodaks you suggested. I came home to make sure I had the correct model written down. They had a Kodak M530 and M580 that was nice but I hadn't reviewed them yet, which I'll do now.

I'll post what I get.

Thx,

Brenda
Old Jul 3, 2010, 12:10 PM   #8

Brenda-

Amazon.com has had the Kodak Z-950 on sale for $139.00. Not only does the Z-950 have 10X optical zoom and all the bells and whistles, but it also doe HD video as well.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 3, 2010, 1:42 PM   #9

Sarah, I went to Amazon.com but the only one I found for that price was a refurbished one from Happier......something something $139 plus 9.95 s&h. I can't find one in Ft. Myers anywhere and was hoping to get one today while I am visiting my grandbaby. I can find the z915 at a few places (cheapest at Walmart for $150.)
So, still eyeballing the Nikon L22 for $99 at OfficeMax, but gee, the Z950 seems like an awesome camera for the price.

Brenda
Old Jul 3, 2010, 3:29 PM   #10

brenda-

www.walmart.com has the Kodak Z-915 at $129.95 as does www.circuitcity.com. So there are two more sources. The Z-915 is head and shoulders above the L22.

Sarah Joyce