Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 28, 2010, 3:27 AM   #1

Default Need guidance for buying new camera

Hi All,

This is my first post here. Though its my first post i have read many of discussions that happen here and now its time for me to buy a camera and I believe the pros/mates here would be the best to guide me.

I am a newbie in serious photography, my earlier dc was canon powershot A550. Its still not broken :-) , however i think its time for me to migrate to a bit more prof dc. However I do not look forward to getting a DSLR camera at the moment as it would be huge step and a need a very steep learning curve.

I came to know about the bridge cameras then and i believe these would serve my purpose for the time being. I have shortlisted 5 cameras, these are Fuji hs10, Panasonic fz35, Olympus SP 570/600 uz, Canon sx10 is.

Can i please have some comments on these selections based on my intentions below;

* i want to start with some serious photoing, hence needs a camera that would allow me to do manual tweaking (instead of being a slave of the auto mode)(i believe the selected cameras vary in this aspect) that can help me in learning.

* not much a big fan of super zoom, but still want to have decent long zoom (stable)(wanna see how things look zoomed in regards to my old 4x OZ)

* decent photos and videos (having read that the image quality varies with higher ISO and longer zooms, i just hope for normal quality of photos/videos )

* not planning to attempt any impossible photography, just a bit of nature photographs and others (Leaving for Europe in few months for my higher studies, wanna take some good snaps )

apologies if quite a long mail..just wanted to speak out my mind.

expecting guidance,

Thanks in advance,

Neg
negdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2010, 5:26 AM   #2

looking at what you have written i would look at the canon g11 i think it ticks all your boxes
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 5:41 AM   #3

thanx wave i wud check the details of cg11
Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:04 PM   #4

negdev-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased you dropped by.

The Canon G-11 that wave suggested is an excellent camera, but priced at around $440 with only 5X optical zoom. That may be a factor for you considering your long zoom desires.

The top two camera on your list are the top super zoom cameras: the Fuji HS-10 and the Panasonic FZ-35, both are excellent cameras. the HS-10 is a bit newer, and the FZ-35 is a more user friendly super zoom, that most newbie find it easy to deal with and it included HD video with stereo sound.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 1:03 AM   #5

Thnks sarah.
Yes these two are of my top priority too. however iam kind of confused about the mentioned olympus cameras, as these seem to have many features @ less cost. But discussions regarding the quality of pics/videos are not tht encouraging.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 1:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by negdev View Post
however iam kind of confused about the mentioned olympus cameras, as these seem to have many features @ less cost. But discussions regarding the quality of pics/videos are not tht encouraging.
About a year ago I had bought Olympus SP 570 UZ, in Dubai ... as a gift for my nephew (who lives in India) ... I used it for a friendly football match between Brazil vs England (in Qatar). I'm not an expert photogrpaher but I found the photos to be very "noisy" (both during daytime as well as night) ... I would be very hesitant to recommend SP-570 UZ.
Current Gear: Canon 7D+BG-E7 Battery Grip & 60D with EF 24-105 f/4 L IS; EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II; EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS; EF 100 f2.8 L IS; EF 50 f/1.8 II; Canon Speedlite 430 EX II; Metz 58 AF-1; Canon RC-5 Wireless Remote Controller & RS-80N3 Remote Switch; Manfrotto 190CX PRO4 with Manfrotto 322RC2 Grip Ball Head; Kenko Extension Tube Set; B+W UV & Polorizing filters
rienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 2:13 AM   #7

thnx rienz for ur review from experience...
Old Jun 29, 2010, 11:29 AM   #8

negdev-

I had exactly the same "high noise" experience with the SP-570, and ultimately sold off the camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:33 PM   #9

good zoom 8x and up and good low light ability will require a dslr. And no point and shoot can combine these 2 things currently. If you are willing to give up on one of these 2 items, there are good megazooms like the fz35 and fuji hs10, As mention the G11 is very good for a point and shoot in low light with a 5x zoom, if you can live with 3x the canon s90 is a more compact package.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 12:33 AM   #10

thanks shoturtle...but iam looking for a good zoom, but could compromise on the low light factor.