Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 28, 2010, 2:24 PM   #1

Default Nikon D90, Nikon D300, Canon 50D, Canon T2i

Hey everyone,
I'm planning to get an SLR camera and have a few cameras in mind but I'm unsure of their performance. This will be my first SLR. The options I'm considering are the Nikon D90, Nikon D300, Canon EOS 50D, Canon T2i, or even a more expensive camera like the Canon EOS 7D if my budget permits. I'm really looking into the Nikon D90 right now because of the great reviews. I'll be taking both indoor and outdoor shots as well as night and sports shots. Thanks in advance.
xsimplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2010, 2:47 PM   #2

Well, all are excellent cameras. BUT, the camera is only part of the equation. For your indoor shots, you need fast aperture lenses and/or external flash to get good results. For sports, without a doubt, the proper lens is critically important.

The Nikon D300s and Canon 7d are comparable with the 7d having an edge in video.
The Nikon D90 and Canon 50d are comparable with the D90 having an edge in high ISO performance.
Now the d300s/7d are more advanced - better focus systems, more customizations, better shutter life than the other two cameras. BUT, you still need the right lenses / flashes for success. You're not going to shoot sports with the kit lenses for any of these cameras and get good results. Nor are you going to shoot indoors with kit lens/built in flash and get good results.

Canon T2i is next step down - still great AF system and great high ISO performance, but plastic build, lower frame rate, less customization.

So, what sports are you planning on shooting? At what level of play? What is your expectation on quality of the results? Where will you be shooting from (e.g. sidelines, dugout, stands, etc). That will help determine what lenses you might need for sports. Depending on your budget you may be forced into a lesser camera.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 4:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsimplicity View Post
Hey everyone,
I'm planning to get an SLR camera and have a few cameras in mind but I'm unsure of their performance. This will be my first SLR. The options I'm considering are the Nikon D90, Nikon D300, Canon EOS 50D, Canon T2i, or even a more expensive camera like the Canon EOS 7D if my budget permits. I'm really looking into the Nikon D90 right now because of the great reviews. I'll be taking both indoor and outdoor shots as well as night and sports shots. Thanks in advance.
What JohnG said is spot on ... also, when you say it is your "first SLR" I take that to mean that till now you've only used Point & Shoot or Prosumer cameras ... if that is the case, you'd be better off buying Canon T2i and 1 (or more) good lens(es) and understand how DSLR's work.
7D/300s or 90D/50D are lot more complex for someone new to DSLR's ... whereas T2i has simpler auto features (for those new to DLSR's) like Night Mode, Portrait Mode which are very helpful. With time you will eventually be familiar/comfortable with DSLR's and you may want to upgrade to more complex DSLR's but having invested in good quality lenses in the begenning will help you in the long run.
No one knows this better than I because, I am an expert in having bought nice/expensive cameras and some rather stupid and cheap lenses in the past
Current Gear: Canon 7D+BG-E7 Battery Grip & 60D with EF 24-105 f/4 L IS; EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II; EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS; EF 100 f2.8 L IS; EF 50 f/1.8 II; Canon Speedlite 430 EX II; Metz 58 AF-1; Canon RC-5 Wireless Remote Controller & RS-80N3 Remote Switch; Manfrotto 190CX PRO4 with Manfrotto 322RC2 Grip Ball Head; Kenko Extension Tube Set; B+W UV & Polorizing filters

Last edited by rienz; Jun 28, 2010 at 4:09 PM.
rienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 8:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Well, all are excellent cameras. BUT, the camera is only part of the equation. For your indoor shots, you need fast aperture lenses and/or external flash to get good results. For sports, without a doubt, the proper lens is critically important.

The Nikon D300s and Canon 7d are comparable with the 7d having an edge in video.
The Nikon D90 and Canon 50d are comparable with the D90 having an edge in high ISO performance.
Now the d300s/7d are more advanced - better focus systems, more customizations, better shutter life than the other two cameras. BUT, you still need the right lenses / flashes for success. You're not going to shoot sports with the kit lenses for any of these cameras and get good results. Nor are you going to shoot indoors with kit lens/built in flash and get good results.

Canon T2i is next step down - still great AF system and great high ISO performance, but plastic build, lower frame rate, less customization.

So, what sports are you planning on shooting? At what level of play? What is your expectation on quality of the results? Where will you be shooting from (e.g. sidelines, dugout, stands, etc). That will help determine what lenses you might need for sports. Depending on your budget you may be forced into a lesser camera.
To be honest, because it's my first SLR, I might not spend as much for the Nikon D300 and the Canon 7D. That cuts my choices down to the Nikon D90 or the Canon T2i. Since I just recently bought the Sony HX5V with the HD video, it doesn't bother me that much if the quality on the movie recording is a bit low. I just want camera to deliver clear crisp photos with little or no blur (includes excellent image stabilizing). For sports, it'll be shots during a soccer game in the stands and action shots such as kids running around at the park or playing basket ball. I kept hearing mixed reviews of Canon and Nikon - some saying Canon topping Nikon as an SLR, and some saying that Nikon is exceptional in SLR not regular point and shoot. Does anyone have RAW photos taken with either camera with the kit lenses (Canon T2i with 18-135mm and Nikon D90 with 18-105mm)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rienz View Post
What JohnG said is spot on ... also, when you say it is your "first SLR" I take that to mean that till now you've only used Point & Shoot or Prosumer cameras ... if that is the case, you'd be better off buying Canon T2i and 1 (or more) good lens(es) and understand how DSLR's work.
7D/300s or 90D/50D are lot more complex for someone new to DSLR's ... whereas T2i has simpler auto features (for those new to DLSR's) like Night Mode, Portrait Mode which are very helpful. With time you will eventually be familiar/comfortable with DSLR's and you may want to upgrade to more complex DSLR's but having invested in good quality lenses in the begenning will help you in the long run.
No one knows this better than I because, I am an expert in having bought nice/expensive cameras and some rather stupid and cheap lenses in the past
Yea, I'm a point and shoot user.. was planning to toss myself a decent SLR and learn from there instead of taking my time getting used to the functions lol. I was considering the Canon T2i because I heard of its simple functions and its well known name (Canon being exceptional for high quality images.. I've never owned a Nikon before so I'm not sure how the image quality generally is). I might not start off with more than 1 good lens after my purchase though.. one is probably enough for a few months for a beginner like me =P

Last edited by xsimplicity; Jun 28, 2010 at 8:11 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 8:19 PM   #5

All the cameras you've mentioned would excel at what you want to do, and you haven't said anything that would lead me to believe that one would suit you better than another. If you'll be shooting indoor sports, Canon has a better selection of large aperture medium telephoto lenses than Nikon. But if everything you want to shoot is outdoors, close your eyes and pick the one that feels best.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
All the cameras you've mentioned would excel at what you want to do, and you haven't said anything that would lead me to believe that one would suit you better than another. If you'll be shooting indoor sports, Canon has a better selection of large aperture medium telephoto lenses than Nikon. But if everything you want to shoot is outdoors, close your eyes and pick the one that feels best.
Its mostly indoor photos I'm concerned about because I hate it when photos come out blurry. Do you think Nikon lenses will perform well in low light? I probably wont be getting more than 1 lens for awhile anyways..
Old Jun 29, 2010, 2:52 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsimplicity View Post
Its mostly indoor photos I'm concerned about because I hate it when photos come out blurry. Do you think Nikon lenses will perform well in low light? I probably wont be getting more than 1 lens for awhile anyways..
There is no one lens option that will do a good job for what you are talking about.

Football from the stands needs a very long lens, 400mm+, indoor sports you want probably a prime (fixed focal length) wide aperture (f1.8 or f2 lens) or at least a zoom with f2.8 through the range. It will depend on the light that is there if f2.8 lets in enough light or not. Also with the indoor sports how close are you going to be able to get, for good results you will need to be on the sidelines or if you have a 70-200mm f2.8 zoom you can get to about 25 yards maximum range.

As has been said you won't be able to do this sort of shooting with the kit lens, sports shooting is quite kit intensive especially when the light is less than perfect.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 3:11 AM   #8

You are looking at some very expensive lens option base on what you want to shoot. For you indoor shots you may want to get a prime lens, something like a 50mm or 85mm. Both canon and nikon have an inexpensive 50mm 1.8 in the 100 dollar range, but it will not be good for indoor sports like basketball or volleyball. You will want something like the more expensive 85mm or 100mm that are in the 400-500 dollar range.

So I recommend you save the money on the camera body, and use that savings for lenses instead. I would go with the T2i or T1i or the D90.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 4:31 AM   #9

Yea, I thought about the the additional cost of the lenses as well.. seems like i'll have to play around with the camera some more before getting into advanced sports shooting. How about shots of people in action like kids playing at the park or someone tossing a ball outdoors? I wont be shooting any indoor sports.. just a lot of indoor photos of people. I narrowed down the camera choices to the Canon T2i and the Nikon D90.. I heard these two were equally good for what I plan to shoot. Which one would be best for lenses at 70-200mm in general (such as macro, night shots/long exposure shots, or simple family photos). I would assume either SLR camera would be able to capture slight movements such as a wave of the hand without a blurry effect right? If you had a choice to pick either the Canon T2i or the Nikon D90 which would you choose? I'm leaning more towards the Nikon D90 because of its reviews.. but I'm also a Canon user so I'm having a pretty difficult time deciding between the two..
Old Jun 29, 2010, 4:48 AM   #10

for outdoor basketball and kids in the park, all 3 camera I suggested more consideration would work well. But it comes down to lenses again. The canon and nikon 70-200mm 2.8 IS lenses are great lenses, But they are between 1700-2200 dollars. You can get a canon 70-300 4.5-5.6 IS USM for the T2i for about 550 dollars or the nikon version for the D90 for about the same. And it would be a very good outdoor action lens. Both the T2i and D90 are great cameras, as both have won awards as best advance level dslr from Tipa, d90 in 2009, and t2i in 2010. The D90 has the edge in burst rate at 4fps vs 3.6 with the T2i, but the canon has high low light ability at 12800iso, and it has full HD. So it really depends on which ones ergo set up your prefer as you really can not go wrong with either.