Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 2, 2010, 2:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
I don't how many people do but I do. I compile them, toss a few songs on there for some ambiance and play them on the 50" plasma. Granted my camcorder is better across the board but I really rarely find myself carrying it. HD video on my camera has become a huge priority. I don't need it to be the best, but HD at least. 2TB of HDD space and always upgrading so no concerns there really.
I just get to looking back at all the HD videos from the years past that we have not watched once!, even from our Cruises...then I go to my Helmet Cam Videos from my Vio-POV1 and we are watching those several times a year from out playing in the sand dunes on ATV's...

HD Video is a cool feature...IF you watch the videos on your HD TV...most people load to youtube, etc these days to share...so HD Video is overkill and overloading PC's for my part...I would guesstimate 70-90% of the families watch their videos on their PC in todays times and rarely on their HD TV due to convenience....the average person probably has a 250-320Gb drive...maybe...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2011, 3:42 PM   #12

Default I realize this is an old thread, but...

It answered most of my questions so i'm hoping to get an answer on a few more.

I want the Canon S90 (after reading this thread) but i need to know how it performs at low light situations and moving targets. i.e. children's birthday parties.

I recently purchased a Panasonic DMC ZS6 (i'm thrilled w/ the outdoor photos and zoom capabilites) but i use my camera mostly for indoor things with my son. And well it just isn't up to par. I just posted my camera on CL and when I sell it, i'd like to purchase a different one.

I've realized that I cannot (as far as i've read) have a simple p&s that does have both mega ZOOM and great indoor photos...

I also realize that there is a newer version of this camera, but my budget is limited so i'm going the ebay/Craigslist route... anyway, hopeing someone can give me some input... (I'm also open to other suggestions for cameras!)

thanks for any help/advice!
lan-droid55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2011, 6:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
HD Video is a cool feature...IF you watch the videos on your HD TV...most people load to youtube, etc these days to share...so HD Video is overkill and overloading PC's for my part...I would guesstimate 70-90% of the families watch their videos on their PC in todays times and rarely on their HD TV due to convenience....the average person probably has a 250-320Gb drive...maybe...
In 2008, an LRG found that 34% of US households had at least 1 HDTV. In 2009, that number jumped to 46%. In 2010, it jumped to 61%. Thus, 61% of all US households have good reason to record their movies in HD. Also, every LCD monitor on the market operates at Full HD or (considerably) higher resolution. Thus, even if most people did watch these movies on their PC, there would be more than sufficient reason to record in HD or better yet, full HD. The average HDD size in 2010 was 500GB btw. I struggle to maintain free space with 3TB. :x

Quote:
Originally Posted by lan-droid55 View Post
It answered most of my questions so i'm hoping to get an answer on a few more.

I want the Canon S90 (after reading this thread) but i need to know how it performs at low light situations and moving targets. i.e. children's birthday parties.

I recently purchased a Panasonic DMC ZS6 (i'm thrilled w/ the outdoor photos and zoom capabilites) but i use my camera mostly for indoor things with my son. And well it just isn't up to par. I just posted my camera on CL and when I sell it, i'd like to purchase a different one.

I've realized that I cannot (as far as i've read) have a simple p&s that does have both mega ZOOM and great indoor photos...

I also realize that there is a newer version of this camera, but my budget is limited so i'm going the ebay/Craigslist route... anyway, hopeing someone can give me some input... (I'm also open to other suggestions for cameras!)

thanks for any help/advice!
The S90, S95, LX5, etc do better in low light than most P&S cams due to the larger sensor and brighter lens. However, the sensors are still tiny nonetheless and you are going to struggle to capture moving targets in low light. For this, a dSLR is your best bet, though you would at least get some improvement with a micro 4/3 over a P&S.

Last edited by FiveO; Jul 12, 2011 at 6:21 PM.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote