Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 29, 2010, 2:04 PM   #1

Default Canon SD4000 or S90

I was set on the S90, but then the SD4000 came out and I am having a hard time deciding. We currently have a D80 with 18-200VR and 50mm, so the new camera is our travel/night out camera. Our priorities are (in order):

1) Picture quality (with least effort-Auto mode mostly)
2) Form factor
3) Video
4) Flash strength

Thanks
dean2526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2010, 2:32 PM   #2

First off, these two are in completely different market niches. So it's hard to compare them as equals.

The S90 is going to be superior to the SD4000 in most all areas of your list, other than form factor and video. The SD4000 will be smaller (not by much though), and offers less controls mounted around the body (more user friendly for those who want simplicity). The SD4000 also offers 720p HD video, which might be something to consider if you plan on watching your videos on a HDTV set.

However, the S90 uses a larger image sensor (better image quality and low light performance), and offers more advanced exposure options and controls.

Both models have a smaller flash, however the S90's speedlight will more than likely out perform the one found the the SD4000; especially when you consider the S90 can actually produce nice photos when using its higher ISO settings.

The PowerShot S90 is one of my favorite "prosumer" compact cameras on the market.

I hope this helps, and good luck!
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 2:41 PM   #3

Thanks, that was pretty much my take too. I was looking at G series, but those are too big, the S90 bridges the gap nicely between the SD and G. If only the S90 had HD video, it would be a no brainer.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 3:34 PM   #4

dean-

I am of the same mind set as Billy, and I actually purchased both cameras to test them head-on. The SD-4000 is a fun camera to use, but it comes up just short of the S-90 mark in:

Image Quality
Flash Performance
Clear Fine Detail

The SD-4000 does however, score a big win with its HD video. As video in general is not an absolute priority for me. It is nice to have, but the absolute best quality is not an "end all" for me. Therefore, I am returning the SD-4000 and keeping the S-90, as I have longer trial time on the S-90.

I have also started to get up to speed on the advantages of m4/3 cameras, as I believe that is the other option that must be considered.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 7:38 PM   #5

I've read in some posts that the SD4000 has better out of the box and full auto pictures, that the S90 requires some tweaking and manual settings to really get a good pic (especially indoors). I don't want to do a lot of fiddling, nor will we use lots of manual controls (that's what the D80 is for), we want a true pocketable point and shoot that we don't have to fool around with. So, the m4/3 isn't an option either.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 7:53 PM   #6

dean-

Then the SD-4000 would be perfect you. It does very well in the auto mode, and hardly ever needs adjusting. Plus it is really a "fun" camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 2:27 AM   #7
Super Moderator

The S90 is a brilliant complement to a DSLR as a camera to take along when the bulk of the larger system is inconvenient.

The image quality is very good. Do you really need HD video? If not, then go for the S90. The auto modes are just fine, and for a DSLR owner it's very simple to figure out the S90.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 2:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
The S90 is a brilliant complement to a DSLR as a camera to take along when the bulk of the larger system is inconvenient.

The image quality is very good. Do you really need HD video? If not, then go for the S90. The auto modes are just fine, and for a DSLR owner it's very simple to figure out the S90.
100% agree...how many people actually watch their HD Videos enough to justify it...we do not except for special events and then you use a Camcorder for that otherwise Standard Quality video to catch short clips is perfect and does not load up your drives with huge files...

To HD Video is a gimmick on P&S Cameras...I have never even used it on my Canon 7D...

S90 will be in my bag always for sure...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2010, 12:21 PM   #9

Good point about the HD video size. I already have a Sony HD camcorder (which is phenomenal by the way). The video clips would be for FB, website, email which would need to be downgraded anyway.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 12:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
100% agree...how many people actually watch their HD Videos enough to justify it...we do not except for special events and then you use a Camcorder for that otherwise Standard Quality video to catch short clips is perfect and does not load up your drives with huge files...

To HD Video is a gimmick on P&S Cameras...I have never even used it on my Canon 7D...

S90 will be in my bag always for sure...
I don't how many people do but I do. I compile them, toss a few songs on there for some ambiance and play them on the 50" plasma. Granted my camcorder is better across the board but I really rarely find myself carrying it. HD video on my camera has become a huge priority. I don't need it to be the best, but HD at least. 2TB of HDD space and always upgrading so no concerns there really.