Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 30, 2010, 7:50 AM   #1

Default PLEASE help me choose :)

Hey all, I know this topic has been said lots of times so please dont hate me. The two cameras I am looking at.....ZS7 and HX5v
I know I know, there are tons of threads on these and believe me I have read most of them. I just need clarification on a couple things.
Here is a little background on me. I currently own an older Canon SD600. I enjoy taking photos and print mostly 4x6 and 5x7. Once in a "great" while id want to print something bigger but not often. I am starting to get into cameras more and more, but will not be getting a DSLR anytime soon. I HATE the zoom on my SD600...3x....so want something better. Can tolerate the low light shots on the sd600. Take videos once in a while but mainly pictures. Do not mind if a camera has manual controls and to be honest think I am in that state where I want to learn to use them to my advantage.
So now here are my questions.
1.) Compared to my SD600, does the ZS7 take similar low light shots or worse? What is considered low light? A family room lit by some overhead lights? a store such as bestbuy, which in my opinion has a lot of lights? A room in a house where there are only some candles lit? I am confused by the saying low light. Does low light only apply at ranges when the flash is no longer effective? as in will the zs7 take good pictures with flash on at distances of 10 feet or less?

2) If I went with the hx5v, I hear the quality of pictures are not stellar compared to the ZS7 except for low light shots. Would they be a lot better than my sd600 or similar (not talking about low light here, just regular shots)? Would I get bored of the hx5v lack of manual controls? I do enjoy having a camera that can just point and shoot for the decent quick shots, but I am liking the idea of manual controls more and more.

3) final question. I heard about the ZS7 having problems with bright lights in video and streaking(vertical line streaks). Does this mean on a bright sunny day, no matter where I point the camera I will get streaks or is it more when the camera is facing the sun? DOes it mean any sort of bright object will produce streaks...i.e. a bright light inside a house? I will take video here and there...maybe on vacations and special occasions but 75% just pictures. If video is only streaks here and there then I can deal with it, but if it streaks A LOT outside, then it "may" be a deal breaker.

Ultimately I am not a professional photographer. Just someone who enjoys it. So any opinions will be greatly appreciated. thank you
bigeclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2010, 9:00 AM   #2

If you shoot indoors a lot go with Canon S90...if you shoot only indoors a few times a week the ZS7 will serve you well...The HX5 I returned myself as it doesn't have the IQ I expected it to have and is only marginally better than the ZS7 in low light I.E. Existing indoor lighting with/without flash...
The ZS7 Flash is limited to about 8 ft...if your interior has white or light colored walls with decent lights the ZS7 will do very well or good lighting from your windows...you wouldn't be able to discern it's shots from the HX5's...from what I could tell...

The ZS7 can shoot excellent macros...it's zoom is awesome also...the 3" LCD is great on it...the dedicated video button is great also...the GPS is cool if you travel a lot like myself...

5-O will give you a better idea than I can...he owns both and has shot them extensively...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 9:21 AM   #3

I will be taking some indoor shots but not to often and I am not sure what qualifies as low lighting? The reason I wasnt going to go with the s90 was its zoom is only 1x better than what I have now, canon sd600 which I do not care for. However maybe the quality the s90 takes would allow me to crop a bit? not sure.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:47 AM   #4

bigeclipse-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

None of the small or compact zoom cameras will take good photos in the average well lighted living room without flash. When using flash the ZS7 is limited to 8 feet or less. To get more distance between camera and subject an accessory Slave flash unit will add more light and increase that Flash Range out to a maximum of 12 feet.

The ZS7 has a slower lens than the SD-600. Therefore it admits less light.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 12:59 PM   #5

MTCLIMBER, not sure what you mean about a slower lens than my sd600...admits less light. As stated im fairly new on learning about how cameras actually work. I know everyone wants an all in one camera and as of now there really isnt. SO thats when people say, you need to pick a camera which suits your needs. Thats where my problem is coming in to play. I am still figuring my needs out. The biggest thing that happened to me, picture wise....is when I started going on trips. I hated how I couldnt zoom at all with my sd600. Thats why im looking for something with a longer zoom. Problem is, if I get a DSLR, I will rarely use it on trips....unless im hiking. An example is a trip to disney world with family. We go on rides, and bringing a 700 dollar DSLR bulky camera on a ride just wont work. I dont mind carrying a camera pouch on my belt. SO I am not necessarly looking for a pocketable camera, but it needs to be small enough to go in a camera pouch on my belt. Id say....70% of my shots will be outside. If taken on the inside, I dont see when id need to be farther than 8-10 feet away from what im taking a picture of, i.e. pictures of people at a party in my house. Accept the occasional wedding, which to be honest, I dont really take pictures anyways. I may not necessarily need full 12x plus zoom, maybe a nice camera with 5x zoom that takes such stellar pictures I can crop up a bit would suffice. I just remember getting home from Disney last year and saying to myself, damn I wish I could have zoomed in on this shot. im looking to spend 450-500 or less.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 1:43 PM   #6

bigeclipse-

When I mentioned that the ZS-7 has a slower lens, what I was indicating that the widest aperture available on that ZS7 lens gives the user a measurably smaller hole through which to admit light. Think of it like looking though a knothole on a fence. It the hole is larger, you can see more and more light comes through that knothole.

We have established a potential budget of $450 to $500, next is this: what is your preference on physical camera size? Can this new camera be a compact like the Canon G-11, or does it need to be closer to pocket size like the canon S-90? Those are two possibilities that came to mind.

You are used to the SD-600 which is fairly small in its physical size.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jun 30, 2010 at 2:28 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 1:54 PM   #7

mtclimber I got the sd600 for pictures up at college. I have since graduated and not in need of those college moment shots haha or ultra compact necessity. However, a full size camera like a rebel are out of the question. I am looking for something that I can bring with me almost anywhere, not water sports or anything but more like if I go on a ride, it can go on the ride with me. Thats why I said something that can go in a pouch maybe on a belt. doesnt NEED to be pocketable but I also dont really want a case made for the shoulder. Also, I dont know much about cameras "yet", but What I hated most about my sd600 was when I would crop to try and blow pictures up to say 9x13 size they looked terrible. Hence why I was looking for a camera that had a zoom or took such great quality pictures that cropping, to an extent, wouldnt be a problem. cant really judge the g11 on size as i have not held one, but from pictures it definitely looks doable for maybe a belt holster or something. also, I see that neither the g11 or the s90 have hd video capability, even though this isnt drastic as I dont take a lot of video, I would have enjoyed that feature. Any other brands that make similar cameras to the G11 with hd video capability. Like I said its definitely not a deal breaker.

Last edited by bigeclipse; Jun 30, 2010 at 1:59 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 1:58 PM   #8

You should try out the FZ35 bigeclipse as I took it to Seaworld and got some great shots the FZ35 would do very well at Disney World...I think it is a great family camera for what you are inclining toward and it's low light capabilities are good also with a strong flash to boot...and for cheap!!!...Buy at Amazon and use it for 2-3 weeks then return it if you don't like...my bet is you'll fall in love...it is larger than a compact but WAY smaller and lighter than a DSLR...18X Zoom...Great Video and Stabilization...EVF that works well also...
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...-seaworld.html

And the Zoom Capabilties of the FZ35 sitting in the seats at SeaWorld Stadium...
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...abilities.html

Last edited by LTZ470; Jun 30, 2010 at 2:06 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 2:06 PM   #9

LTZ470 thanks for the imput. That camera is definitely starting to cross into the realm of almost to big. Ive noticed we have been shying away from the zs7. Is this because it is really that terrible in normal in home lighting conditions?
Old Jun 30, 2010, 2:23 PM   #10

Elipse you mentioned a DSLR and Manual Controls so I assumed a FZ35 would be perfect to step up a notch...and give you some great keepers and is very user friendly...ZS7 Samples below...and yes you can get good inside shots depending on lighting...you might have to go through the whole thread but there are various shots to give you and idea...
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...sharpness.html
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...sharpness.html
And heres a few that were excellent macros...from the ZS7
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...ss-camera.html