Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:22 AM   #1

Default Need help! (Canon dlsr lenses) sorting out whats ,what

I've been getting pretty dedicated to reading on this site in the last few months and find it to be one of the best if not the best forum i've ever been on .(i am on sled ,truck , guitar and various forums)

A while ago a bought a T2i with the kit 18-55 is and the 75-300 non is usm lenses . I shoot landscape , sports (outdoor and indoor) kids at play , wildlife, even some macro (borrowed a lense for that). I have been mainly using the 75-300 lens and feel it degrades what my camera is capable of. Following a link on this site ,i found a review of the 70 -300 mm is usm .The reviewer stated that it was so good he could have almost mistook it for an L series if it had not been for the outer body. That really got my attention. So looking online to buy one , a place had it and another (shorter looking ) 70-300 mm is usm with a green ring on it at double the price. I rechecked the review and they were talking about the cheaper one ($550-600) so i guess thats the one i want.

My Questions

Other the L series lenses how can i tell what lense are really good and not so good in the canon line up?
Should i shoot for the canon 70 300 mm is usm (longer version, no green ring) or is there another that is better (sharpness and clarity) or the green ring version at twice the $$? Is it twice as good?

I know for indoor sports (ice hockey ) in need some around 2.8 or better as has been stated on here to me before (price almost knocked me off my chair) but for now, is there a non zoom long enough to shoot hockey (that is more price friendly) at or better than 2.8 ?

If i find used lenses (ebay) what should i worry about?

I am almost becoming a fanatic over all this stuff and photography in general , i will continually expand ,but for now the 75-300 mm has to go and i need a replacement that is considerably better but not off the chart $$ wise . Thanks JMP
jmp2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:34 AM   #2

Indoor sports require fast lens and high ISO numbers (learning this real quick with my kids!). The one slightly cheaper alternative to the 2.8 zooms are the fast primes (85F1.8, 100F2, 200F2.8) These can buy you the speed, but you sacrifice versatility. For Hockey, is there a focal length that works most of the time for you? To check, try taking your 75-300 in and just zoom to see where you spend most of your time. One of our resident Sports pro will probably pop in here soon and give you the best info. I also have the T2i and now have a 70-200F2.8, 85F1.8, and for outdoors 300F4 in addition to my walk around lens (28-135).l
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:46 AM   #3

waoldrifleman handled the hockey angle - hockey is a tough sport to pick a prime lens for. Sports like basketball or volleyball are easier but for hockey any of the above are potential good fits - and bad fits.

For outdoors - the 70-300 IS USM is a very nice lens - a great consumer lens in fact. It's sharp. Now, the build quality is certainly below the L lenses - plastic instead of metal and I'm not a big fan of lenses that rotate externally like the 70-300 does. But it's the best consumer grade lens out there. But it will focus slower than say a Canon 70-200 f4L or any of the longer Ls because they have Ring USM focus. The 70-300 has micro USM. In using my friend's version I can most definitely tell the difference vs. my canon 70-200 2.8 or sigma 120-300 2.8 (with sigma's HSM motor). But, those lenses with faster focus motors cost more. For normal stuff that focus speed doesn't matter. For sports it certainly does. For sports shooting the 70-300 is a solid "C+" performer. The 75-300 is definitely a D. You're also going to run into issues when light levels get low outside - heavy overcast and such. Besides shutter speed, you'll run into focus issues because there's simply less light for the gear to focus. It's not a knock on the 70-300 specifically just on all f5.6 lenses. You will see an improvement over your current lens - the 70-300 is sharper and faster to focus (you're moving from a "D" to a "C+" so that's very noticeable).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 3:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
You will see an improvement over your current lens - the 70-300 is sharper and faster to focus (you're moving from a "D" to a "C+" so that's very noticeable).
Where the 70-200 f4,70-200 f2.8, and various 70-300 sigma\tamron lenses stands on your scale?
Ishay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 5:59 PM   #5

There is 2 canon 70-300mm USM lens the green ring is the 70-300mm DO IS USM lens. I have the 70-300mm IS USM. And it is a very good lens, and does a nice job with outdoor daylight action.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jun 30, 2010 at 10:53 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
There is 2 canon 70-300mm USM lens the green ring is the 70-300mm DO IS USM lens. I have the 70-300mm IS USM. And it is a very good lens, and does a nice job with door daylight action.
thanks for all the replys

that is the one i'm after , what is the difference between it and the DO ?(in laymens terms) other than 650 .00
jmp2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:52 PM   #7

The DO is a more compact design, with the diffractive optic.

Here is a link that shows you the size difference between the DO and the standard.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx
Old Jul 1, 2010, 7:41 AM   #8
Super Moderator

I have the DO. It's not really worth the price difference over the regular version IMO. It was released back when the only alternative was the 75-300, and it was most definitely worth the premium back then.

It's got a little better focus speed, two IS modes, slightly better build quality, and is more compact when travelling, but is not any sharper and has a different contrast profile to normal Canon lenses - it needs more sharpening in post. It does have a nice look to the images and works well for portraits, and it's not worth selling the DO only to buy the non-DO. But very few people would find it worth the extra cost now.