Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 1, 2010, 5:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWD View Post
I have been looking at a 20mm f/1.7 pancake lens which if I am correct would be good for portraits and low light pictures....
Low light? Yes.

Portrait? That's kinda wide, and you can get in trouble that way with perspective distortion. Classic portrait lenses have 35mm equivalent focal lengths of from 85mm to 135mm. The only 4/3 or m4/3 lenses in that range that has a large aperture (for that shallow depth of field) are the Panasonic/Leica 45mm f/2.8 Macro O.I.S. ($900), the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM ($499), and the Olympus 50mm f/2.0 Macro ($445). Of course, a portrait lens is any lens you use to take portraits, but from what you say, it seems you want to taek classic portraits, and for that you need a classic portrrait lens.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2010, 5:42 PM   #12

You can actually even use the olympus 35mm 3.5 macro with a eq of 70mm for under 200 dollars. It is does a nice job actually form my experience.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 6:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
You can actually even use the olympus 35mm 3.5 macro with a eq of 70mm for under 200 dollars. It is does a nice job actually form my experience.
I wouldn't have thought that 35mm would have been long enough, or f/3.5 would be large enough, for a shallow depth of field on a 4/3 image sensor.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2010, 6:38 PM   #14

It not bad at 3.5 with a little spacing from the background you get some decent bokeh effect with the 35mm 3.5.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 10:21 PM   #15

NWD-

There is indeed another alternative. Consider cameras using 1/1.7" imagers. That imager, also used by the Canon G-11 and S-90, the Panasonic LX3, and the Samsung EX-1/WB500, offers a larger imager, but not quite as large as the imager used on m4/3 cameras, with measurably enhanced image quality, a fixed lens, and a much lower selling price.

The image quality is very good indeed. I have attached a sample photo from the Samsung EX-1. And if you click on this link, you can see a full resolution copy of the attached image:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Sa...32_W9pdj-L.jpg

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 3:03 PM   #16
NWD

Once again, thank you both for your updates.

I like the idea of being able to choose lenses to suit my purpose, so although the examples shown above are interesting, I think I prefer the m4/3 options.

My issue now is adding it up, the m4/3 option is perhaps more expensive than other systems such as the Pentx kx that actually offer better quality images.....
NWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 3:27 PM   #17
NWD

I have seen this link on another new thread:

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2010/0...7-lens-review/

This details images from the 20mm 1.7mm Panasonic Lens. The images look stunning. However it was taken on the Olympus EP2. Do either of you know whether this standard will be achieved with the lens on Lumix G2?
NWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 3:28 PM   #18

NWD-

That is correct. The average m4/3 package will probably cost a bit more than a comparable entry level DSLR package like the Canon XSi/450D or the Pentax Kx.

The DSLR package will focus a tad faster,and you will have a much wider selection of lenses, but the m4/3's advantage is difficult to appreciate until you experience it in real time. The convenience factor and the kit size reduction is really amazing.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jul 2, 2010 at 6:42 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 11:59 PM   #19

I shoot a k-x also, though it is small for a dslr, it is actually quit a bit larger if you are looking for a compact option. And unless you are getting a canon, the epl-1 actually has about the same amount of lens option as the k-x when you add the adapter and the 4/3 dslr lenses they can use.

So if you are looking for a compact option the m4/3 is a better fit. If you are going for action and very low light the k-x is a better fit.

But the 20mm is about the same price as the pentax 50mm 1.4