Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 5, 2010, 11:31 AM   #21

Thanks, Craig-

Your suggestions seem to make sense to me and are well thought out and very logical indeed. A m4/3 camera does have problems with LCD viewing and action shots.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 6:24 PM   #22

perendosi... until I lost it (don't ask) a week ago, I had the E-PL1. I absolutely loved the camera... but I also have to warn you the LCD on the back isn't bright enough to be very effective in bright sunlight. If you think you may be shooting in such conditions, I highly recommend you buy the VF-2 electronic viewfinder. But that's about $250... and assuming you can score an E-PL1 for, say, $550, you'd be paying $800 total. That's about the same price as a Panasonic G2, with a built-in electronic viewfinder.

I haven't personally used the G10, but I understand it'll give you the performance of a G2 or G1 with a lower-resolution electronic viewfinder. But it might be good enough to frame shots in bright sunlight. Also, the G10 lacks the touch screen interface and articulating LCD that the G2 has... but does offer video recording, which the G1 does not. If you don't care about video, a leftover G1 can be had with 14-45mm kit lens for $500... and it has the better electronic viewfinder that the G2 has.

Craig offers good advice. A micro four-thirds camera will be better than almost any point-and-shoot digicam... but it won't capture action the way a DSLR can.

Have I confused you yet?

Last edited by Biro; Jul 5, 2010 at 6:27 PM.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 9:18 PM   #23

If you need low light the epl-1 is a better low light camera then the G2, but the G2 is great upto 800iso.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
I might add the Fujifilm HS-10 as another option. If you plan on shooting wildlife, the 30x zoom and many other GREAT features make this camera almost tailor-made for your trip and long afterwards. Pop a TCON-17 on this bad boy and you have 1224mm of reach. All in one, convenient package.
I will second this suggestion with a 16GB class 6 memory card and 3 sets of AA rechargeable that should get you through a weeks trip. And if you think you'll got shutter crazy pick up another 8GB card for the camera. With my 16GB card I get about 3100 images from the HS10.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:07 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by photophreak View Post
I'd go with a super zoom picked from Steve's "best cameras" list. Unless you are a pro, on a safari you don't want to be trying to change lenses as a giraffe runs by!
also you don't want to be changing lenses in dusty enviorments and in the desert when the wind kicks up as they will cause dust to get into the image sensor. If it was me I'd use a fix superzoom camera vs hauling a DSL-R and a few lenses or at least if I was using a D-SLR stick with a single longer zoom lens. Also for wildlife your gonna want something in the 200 - 400mm range.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2010, 5:35 PM   #26

Thanks all.
I'm not a wildlife photographer, and I never will be. I'd like to have a decent zoom for Africa, but I don't think that's my main focus. I'd rather have a camera that will take good portraits, candids (but more than snapshots), landscapes of Victoria Falls, low-light concert photos, vacation and party pics, etc.

And while the wildlife P&S photos look nice, I'm not going to do photoshop bokeh... first it'll take a long time, and second, it feels like "cheating," and they just don't quite feel right.

So I've made up my mind: I'm going to get an m4/3. Now the question is, which one?

I went to a local Wolf Camera and tried the E-PL1 and the GF1. I went there expecting to love Oly, but I came away ready to buy the Panny. But I've looked more on-line, and taken a look at Steve's sample pictures. I'm really conflicted, so maybe ya'll can help.

E-PL1:
Pros:
Looks like it does really well in low light. (And I'd probably like to take a lot of low light pics).
Stylish
$200 cheaper (!)
Cons:
Less than stellar LCD
Less than stellar kit lenses
Awkward menu setting changes
Slower AF?
Makes a funny, loud sound on shutter release, that's sort of like a SLR, but not quite.

GF1:
Pros:
Feels a little sturdier (metal lens couplings, etc.)
Subdial for changing Aperture and Shutter Speed (rather than menus for everything) buttons for ISO, etc.
Better kit lenses (?), certainly better pancake lens.
Faster AF?
Cons:
Higher price
Much worse on low light, high ISO (based on Steve's sample pics and another review)
Makes a funnier, louder sound on shutter release that sort of like a SLR, but not quite.

So I'm totally torn. I was all gung-ho for the Panny, even if it cost me $200 more, but then I compared this high ISO pic from the Oly:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...1/P3090150.JPG

With this pic from the Panny:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...1/P1010097.JPG

The oly's ISO 1600 looks like my digital rebel's ISO 200! And low light, high ISO photography is very important to me. Am I crazy in thinking that the Oly's sample above is head and shoulders over the Panny's?

But, on the other hand, I much prefer the Panny's buttons, subdial for adjustments, better build quality, and (kit) lenses*. Price is a serious consideration, but I don't want to say "man, if I'da just spent the extra $200 six months ago, I'd be so happy now."

On top of it all, there's the G1 or G2 -- they're bigger, which is not cool, but they have EVFs (without having to use up the hot shoe) which is cool. But the G2, which seems to have the better image processor, is about the same as the GF1 in price.

Aarugh. Can anyone help me out?

*Yes, I know I can use Panny lenses on the Oly, but buying the Oly body only and adding the Panny pancake or even the kit lens pretty much cancels out any savings I would get by buying the Oly to begin with
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2010, 5:45 PM   #27

AF are now equal with the panny and oly, that was resolved with the lasted firmware update.

The kit zoom the oly is actually slightly better, the pancake kit the panny is better. But with m4/3 the lenses are interchangeable between brands. And the kit zoom will come in handy for the landscape shots. I would add the pancake for the low light.

The oly hotshoe evf is way better then the panny evf. But if you are not going to get an external flash, the hotshoe for the evf's is not really and issue. I only use the hotshoe for the oly VF2.

But if you add the VF2 the oly is still less the the gf1. About the same as the G2. Between the G1 and G2, the G2 would be the better buy, as it resolved all the lens compatibility issues with the 4/3 lenses on the market with the adapter.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 5:52 PM   #28

also out the camera, if you are not a raw shooter, the oly jpeg engine is the best on the market. Here are some samples of marco shots I shot with the epl-1 with the oly 35mm 3.5 macro with the 4/3 adapter, no post production editing. So you can see the good the oly jpeg engine is.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...my-garden.html
Old Jul 7, 2010, 6:00 PM   #29

Wow, those are some nice shots. The DPReview.com review did show how great the JPEG engine is, and I hate doing tons of post-processing.

Does the lack of a subdial bother you? I guess without EVF, it doesn't matter, but if I'm shooting in aperture priority, I want to be able to control the aperture without having to click through a bunch of menus.
In my few minutes playing with the Oly, I couldn't even figure out how to change the ISO. The Panny has a button: "ISO."

And the Oly's LCD screen seems awfully low-res, considering it's your only viewfinder source.

Those really are the three things that are bothering me.
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2010, 6:04 PM   #30

Actually in aperture mode it is very easy to change the setting, just hit the up button then up and down to the stop you want, and left and right to +/-EV. With the EVF, I can do it without looking at the buttons, it is pretty quick to get your thumb to remember the motion.