Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 7, 2010, 5:06 PM   #31

ISO can be set up with the function button to give you a short cut, but it is pretty simple, press the center circle, scroll to iso then press left or right to low or increase iso.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 11:23 AM   #32

Okay, I just bought the e-pl1 w/ 14-42 kit lens, reconditioned from B&H.

Now I'm contemplating lenses.
The panny 45-200 sounds pretty good; it's probably the leading contender.

The panny 20 f/1.7 will be owned some day, but I can't justify $375 right now.

There's an Oly 40-150mm f/4-5.6 lens that I can get for $100, and then I could get the (non-oem) OM to micro 4/3 adapter for $32.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A17MC6HOH9AVE6

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Thirds...606022&sr=1-10

The lens gets pretty good reviews, and it's small and light (that I like), but is this a bad idea? Will the adapter be bad? (I imagine the auto-exposure won't work, right?) It's still $150 less than the 45-200 panny.

Are there any other lenses in the ~$200 range worth owning, or should I just buy the 45-200 panny and be happy (and be on the lookout for the panny pancake)?
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 1:04 PM   #33

The 45-200mm is a excellent lens, and with the crop factor it is an extra 100mm of reach over the oly 40-150mm which is helpful. And it is more compact then the 40-150 with the adapter. I got mine on ebay for 220 dollars. In excellent condition if you are looking to save a bit. But the lens is only 290 dollars new
Old Jul 8, 2010, 1:08 PM   #34

Thx. Good to know about the physical size. I'll keep my eye out for it on eBay. Right now, there are just two for sale, both at $299. If all else fails, I'll buy it retail and have it shipped before I leave.

I'll be sure to post some Africa pics with my new camera!
Old Jul 8, 2010, 1:09 PM   #35

Congrats on the new camera, it is really a good camera in a compact setup. New form amazon and adorama is 289.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 1:16 PM   #36

PS if you get the 45-200mm make sure you turn on the inbody IS or the Lens IS. You do not want both on at the same time. Funky things can happen. I generally leave the Lens IS off. Just less to remember when switching lenses
Old Jul 10, 2010, 3:59 PM   #37

Perdendosi-

You also ought to give some serious consideration to getting the EVF accessory view finder to complete the package. It will be especially useful in Africa with so much bright sunshine reducing your ability to see the LCD well enough to properly frame your photos.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 4:04 PM   #38

Yes the VF2 is a top notch evf. Very clear and high resolution well worth the extra money imho. But it is a bit tough to fine. Most places are sold out of them.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 4:45 PM   #39

I'll think about the EVF.

So, for all curious, here's what I ended up with (not exactly what I expected, but I think it'll do)

(1) Olympus E-PL1, with kit lens. Not my favorite body, but the JPEG engine, low light capabilities, price, and internal IS won me over. I got it reconditioned from B&H for $459.
(2) Olympus 40-150mm f/3.5-4.5 Zuiko four-thirds. Reconditioned from B&H for $95. Not as compact as the Oly 40-150 f/4, but a stop brighter, with a better track record of IQ.
(3) Panny DMW-MA1 4/3 to m-4/3 converter. Only thing I bought new.
(4) Oly 35mm f/3.5 1:1 Macro. I hear good things about this lens, and I found it on Amazon for $50 used. The guy says the AF is broken, but everything else works. I figured why not give it a shot! I can try to get it fixed, and if it costs more than $40, I'll just use it as-is. I may not take it to Africa, as I'm not expecting to need a normal-ish, macro, prime. But I'll play around with it.

So for less than $750, I got a m4/3 body, 3 lenses, and an adapter to use 4/3 lenses (plus a few filters and a carrying case). Now I'm just excited to get it (and saving up my pennies to snag a really fast pancake down the line)!!

Thanks to everyone for all your help! I'll be sure to post pics soon.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 4:51 PM   #40

not a bad set up. The 35mm 3.5 macro is really nice and compact. All my epl-1 macro shots were taken with it.