Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 2, 2010, 2:25 PM   #1

Default I need advice for pocket second camera...

Hi,

Years ago I bought a Fuji S3000. I still like some of the features of the machine like the zoom, the macros, the use of AA batteries (This was awesome actually... as when you run out of batteries you could always go to the store and buy alkalines), decent in low light... but it has some cons... no wide angle, the video is very low quality and it's getting old in mega pixels for current standards, but the main thing is that it is bulky.

I love to get a second camera, pocket size, to take when I go around hiking or on tourism and that has better video quality to record my family once in a while...

To be short, some of the things I normally do with the camera are:

- Use zoom to have the pic of the nice bird...
- I always try to do panoramas from the top of a building or a mountain and always is a pain if the axx to link pictures together
- I like macros for the occasional dragon fly, weird insect...
- I like to take indoors pictures of my cats.... but I have the Fuji at home so, maybe that's not the requirement for this second camera.
- I record videos of family-cats.

So, I was thinking on Sony HX5 or Canon S210 or something in that margin of 300-350$... pocket size, nice zoom and the HD video... a ton of discussions about them are about low light situation that will not be my typical scenario, just once in a while... although it might be my scenario while shooting video... anyway, I think it will be more like an outdoors pocket thing what we really want...

Any advice is welcomed... and thanks in advance!

Regards,
Hipogrito
hipogrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2010, 2:34 PM   #2

hippogrito-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

The Sony HX-5 and Canon SX-210 based on actual user report and professional reviews, each have a few warts, so as to speak. You might be better served and get more zoom with a Panasonic FZ-35.

However, if physical camera size is the reason for selecting, the HX-5 and SX-210, then you would probably be happier with the SX-210 as it has 14X optical zoom while still being sort of pocket size.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 2:46 PM   #3

Hello Sarah,

Thank you very much for your advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
You might be better served and get more zoom with a Panasonic FZ-35.
Sarah Joyce
That's exactly the type of camera that I am not looking for... the S3000 has that typical camera shape... too bulky for what I want... but reading so many people complaining about the HX5 or the S210 makes me wonder if...

1.- People complain too much
2.- These cameras are not really worthy and it does not really exist what I am looking for...

Thanks,

Regards,
Hipo
hipogrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 3:12 PM   #4

Hipo-

The Canon SX-210 is basically a pretty good camera. Yes, there is the ubiquitous pop-up flash that pops up whether you need it or not, but now it can be manually stowed. The flash shadow in the right hand lower corner of the photo is over blown. It only occurs when doing flash macros at about 3 feet or less.

Using the LCD to frame your photos forces the camera to be in extended arms. Therefore, as the zoom increases out to the maximum zoom camera movement, even with the IS operating becomes a hazard. Solution, keep the shutter speed high at or near near the maximum zoom.

That is why I initially suggested the FZ-35 which you hold at eye level and frame your photos more easily using an EVF, rather than battling bright sunshine as you making a somewhat impossible task out of framing your photos properly on a LCD pretty difficult. But then the FZ-35 is the wrong size. But it is a much more user friendly camera and offers much better camera performance than a SX-210.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote