Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 5, 2010, 11:20 PM   #11

I've been trying to find a camera that I think would please me and my wife, without spending a lot (say over $1k). After a bit of review today and heading over to Best Buy to play with the cameras I'm currently looking at the E-PL1 vs. D5000.

One question to people that own both cameras, how is the speed (mostly concerned with shutter lag) on the E-PL1 vs. D5000. Since I didn't have a manual and am new to photography I wasn't sure what all the menu settings on each camera did. However, the D5000 seemed much faster in the store on average for taking the initial photo. Possibly a setting, but the E-PL1 seemed to do a "full" auto focus cycle before each picture (button press), even when the picture was already in focus (i.e. I didn't move). The D5000 seemed more happy with it's initial auto focus setting and did not spend much time re-focusing.

This would be the deciding factor for us on any camera purchase. My wife wants the camera to be able to take "instant" photos mostly of kids playing, where a typical non-SLR camera has enough delay the kids have moved on before the picture takes.

Hopefully that's clear enough. I really wanted to love the E-PL1 since it is $150 cheaper than the D5000 and looks to take better (to me) pictures.
okcchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 12:00 AM   #12

I own both the Oly EPL-1 and the Nikon D-5000. I feel that they compliment each other. Because the D-5000 kit is physically quite a bit larger, there are times when the social situation makes the Oly EPL-1 the better choice to take to that event.

Once you get used to the EPL-1 is is almost as fast as the D-5000. In addition it is smaller and more handy to take to any event. As your choice, is for just one of these cameras, my choice would be the EPL-1.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 12:11 AM   #13

Thanks much for the advice.

I know people with Nikon cameras and have had great success with them. In terms of DSLR cameras, or cameras of that quality like the EVIL, I don't know anyone with another brand so I'm here

I'm perfectly open to other suggestions, these two were just the best fit price wise I'd found so far in my searches. Well and that I could easily go play with at a local store.
okcchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 3:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
The Oly 40-150mm which on the EPL-1 equates to a 80-300mm lens can regularly be found for around $115.00.

Sarah Joyce
Hello Sarah:

What is the exact model number of the Olympus lens you mentioned?

Thank you!
FWSchreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 4:01 PM   #15

That is the olympus zuikos 40-150mm. You will need to add the panasonic 4/3 adapter at 120 dollar or the olympus one at 170 dollar. So for 235 dollars you get a decent reaching lens.

Or spend the extra 45 dollars and get the panasonic 45-200mm lens giving you 90-400mm of reach. That is what I used at the zoo shots in Germany.

Another reason the olympus shots look sharper over the d5000 and T1i is that all m4/3 cameras correct for lens distortion. And they do a very good job at it. At higher iso and regular shutter speeds, you can get PF with the canon lens, but the epl-1 will correct for it, and it will not show up on the end product. Also the epl-1 just has the best jpeg engine on the market.

Last edited by shoturtle; Aug 22, 2010 at 4:04 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 4:22 PM   #16

FWSchreck-

I have been slow to come to the conclusion that the VF-2 (around $(US)250) is really needed to make the ELP-1 really functionally operable. The LCD (230K pixels) can drive you crazy.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote