Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 6, 2010, 5:15 AM   #1

Default In search of a camera with very good image and video quality

Hi,

I need to buy a camera that would let me shoot good photos as well as record high quality videos. Basically I donít want to carry two cameras (camcorder + digital camera) where ever I go. I am looking for one camera that would give me both.

Obviously there are SLRs out there however they are above my budget.

There are some super zoom digital cameras that let you shoot HD videos. e.g. Sony H55 or Nikon L110 or Panasonic Lumixís superzoom cameras . Does anybody have used any of these? Is the video quality of these cameras sufficient for non-professional use?

Also, there is Sony Bloggie which is actually pocket HD camcorder however lets you click 5 MP still images and with 5X zoom.

Would someone who is expert advise me on this?

Thanks!
mratnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2010, 11:21 AM   #2

mratnad-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

If you live in the USA check out the Panasonic ZS6 at Costco. If you want GPS look at the the ZS7. If you don't need a wide angle and are on a tight budget look at the Kodak Z-950.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 1:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mratnad View Post
Hi,

I need to buy a camera that would let me shoot good photos as well as record high quality videos. Basically I donít want to carry two cameras (camcorder + digital camera) where ever I go. I am looking for one camera that would give me both.

Obviously there are SLRs out there however they are above my budget.

There are some super zoom digital cameras that let you shoot HD videos. e.g. Sony H55 or Nikon L110 or Panasonic Lumixís superzoom cameras . Does anybody have used any of these? Is the video quality of these cameras sufficient for non-professional use?

Also, there is Sony Bloggie which is actually pocket HD camcorder however lets you click 5 MP still images and with 5X zoom.

Would someone who is expert advise me on this?

Thanks!
Hi mratnad,

Did you type your post in another application and copy/paste it into the forum's compose message box? Just wanted to let you know that your post's font size is rather small making reading a little harder when viewing with Firefox. It looks fine when viewing using IE8.

Reason I bring this up is because I often type in MS Word and then copy/paste into the forum's compose message box. I used IE8 on my desktop PC and didn't realize that the font was showing up in Firefox as Times New Roman and quite small since it showed up as normal sized Verdana using IE8. One member let me know and I appreciated that. I edited my post using Firefox with Verdana 10 point and reposted it and then it looked fine. I try to use Firefox now when posting in these forums to catch any font problems.

Best regards,
Sky
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2010, 1:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post
Did you type your post in another application and copy/paste it into the forum's compose message box? Just wanted to let you know that your post's font size is rather small making reading a little harder when viewing with Firefox. It looks fine when viewing using IE8.
The font is 10pt so it's not that small. Just slightly below the norm. I am using Firefox and I have no problem reading it.

You can change the font type and size right in the WYSIWYG editor.

Times New Roman 2 3 4 etc
Old Jul 7, 2010, 4:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
The font is 10pt so it's not that small. Just slightly below the norm. I am using Firefox and I have no problem reading it.

You can change the font type and size right in the WYSIWYG editor.

Times New Roman 2 3 4 etc
I sent two emails to steves-digicams if there is an ignore member function but never received a reply. So you are on my self made ignore member list. Only one person on it. Grow up.
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2010, 8:14 AM   #6

What about Sony HX5V or Panasonic FZ35?
Old Jul 7, 2010, 9:38 AM   #7

For the price versus quality you can't beat the FZ35...if it must go in your pocket then ZS6 or ZS7...if you need zoom...if not then Canon S90...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2010, 3:36 AM   #8

I am contemplating Canon SX20IS against Panasonic FZ35. Which is better for videos?
Old Jul 11, 2010, 12:47 PM   #9

mratnad-

The Panasonic FZ 35 has the advantage of using the AVCHD format for HD video and also features dual channel sound, so that may indeed be an advantage.

There is perhaps one issue to consider in this choice. Both the FZ-35 and the SX-20 are due for model replacement. The cameras will be announce in the Fall and product will be available for the Christmas market.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote