Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 6, 2010, 4:13 PM   #1

Default New Upgrade

Hi,

I wondered if anyone had any suggestions for an upgrade for me.

Currently I have a Casio s880 which I'm happy with in most respects, as I get excellent pictures, good battery life and it is very compact. However, the area where it is a let down for me is with the video recording, which is not very good in certain situations.

About 50% of the photos, and 100% of the videos I take are done at concerts. I'm happy with the photos I get, but the video recordings are not good. The videos have excellent video but terrible audio, which I believe is due to the mic being overpowered due to how loud the music is.

Obviously, because I am wanting to take my camera to concerts I am limited to a pocket size/compact camera, but I am looking for something with improved audio that could cope with the loud music at concerts.

So far I seem to be leaning towards the Panasonic Lumix TZ7, as I've read good reviews for this model and seen some good concert videos on youtube that were done with this model or the TZ8. The other major bonus for me with this camera would be the increased zoom over my Casio, which could come in very handy. Having compared the TZ7 & TZ8, I prefer the TZ7 due to the whole battery cost issue, as I know with TZ7 you can downgrade the firmware so that you can use a regular cheaper battery.

So I wondered if anyone could give me any advice on the Panasonic Lumix TZ range or possibly suggest some alternatives that might be worth looking at. Ideally my budget is 250 maximum.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Last edited by Sideswipe; Jul 6, 2010 at 4:24 PM.
Sideswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2010, 12:12 AM   #2

The TZ7 is a good choice as is the TZ10 imho. You can use 3rd party batteries with both. The HX5V is not recommended due to the terrible audio and I would rule out the Casio FH100 also due to lack of zoom in video. The Canon SX210 and SD4000 are other considerations, as well as the upcoming Samsung with the BSI sensor. (next month or so I think)
Old Jul 7, 2010, 1:30 PM   #3

Thanks, I'll take a look at those two Canon compacts, although I have to say that I've not bought a Canon compact camera in quite a while, as I had problems with one of the early IXUS models (the ixus IV I think) so I've tended to look elsewhere.

Also, I know you said that you can get third party batteries for the TZ range, and I am aware of this, but I think there's a bit of a con going on here with Panasonic. I've read in various places on the net about Panasonic updating their firmware in the TZ7 so that only their own batteries would work with it, and they also kept this in the TZ8 & TZ10. Although companies like Hahnel & Uniross are selling third party batteries that will now work with the TZ range, they are around the 30 mark, which is only slightly cheaper than Panasonics own. 30 is a considerable price hike for a replacement battery when you look at other batteries for other manufacturers like Sony/Casio/Canon.
Sideswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2010, 1:36 PM   #4

I have an Olympus Stylus Tough 8000 and LOVE it.
I also take my camera to a lot of concerts and often end up down in general admission or the mosh and this thing is the ideal camera for it.
It has built in anti-shake so I can hold it above my head while getting jostled around in the pit, zoom in and get amazingly sharp pics of the band on stage.
It's shock proof and can be dropped from 6 feet onto concrete and come out unscathed (I dropped it in the mosh pit and took about 4 minutes to retrieve and it was fine).
It's waterproof to 30 feet so it's great for watersports or if you just want to not be worried about it in any weather (it's good to -10C as well).
To top it off its 12mega pixels and easily fits in your pocket.
Video on it is decent but not HD. There is a model up that does 720p but it almost doubles the cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideswipe View Post
Hi,

I wondered if anyone had any suggestions for an upgrade for me.

Currently I have a Casio s880 which I'm happy with in most respects, as I get excellent pictures, good battery life and it is very compact. However, the area where it is a let down for me is with the video recording, which is not very good in certain situations.

About 50% of the photos, and 100% of the videos I take are done at concerts. I'm happy with the photos I get, but the video recordings are not good. The videos have excellent video but terrible audio, which I believe is due to the mic being overpowered due to how loud the music is.

Obviously, because I am wanting to take my camera to concerts I am limited to a pocket size/compact camera, but I am looking for something with improved audio that could cope with the loud music at concerts.

So far I seem to be leaning towards the Panasonic Lumix TZ7, as I've read good reviews for this model and seen some good concert videos on youtube that were done with this model or the TZ8. The other major bonus for me with this camera would be the increased zoom over my Casio, which could come in very handy. Having compared the TZ7 & TZ8, I prefer the TZ7 due to the whole battery cost issue, as I know with TZ7 you can downgrade the firmware so that you can use a regular cheaper battery.

So I wondered if anyone could give me any advice on the Panasonic Lumix TZ range or possibly suggest some alternatives that might be worth looking at. Ideally my budget is 250 maximum.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
JordanRHughes is offline   Reply With Quote