Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 10, 2010, 12:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
... And if you don't support your local photography store, where are you going to find those filters, neck straps, and camera bags you need in a hurry or need to try out before you buy.
Amazon 1-day shipping for the filter. Target, Best Buy, Walmart, Fry's electronics, etc, etc, etc, for the camera bag.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 12:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Amazon 1-day shipping for the filter. Target, Best Buy, Walmart, Fry's electronics, etc, etc, etc, for the camera bag.
What if 1 day is too long to wait? And if you want to spend all day driving around to all those different stores to see as many camera bags as you'll see in a single camera specialty store, then go right ahead.

Last edited by TCav; Jul 10, 2010 at 12:55 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 10:54 PM   #13

Oh please!

Tullio
Old Jul 11, 2010, 6:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Oh please!
I presume by your response that you've never broken something or lost something, and needed a replacement that same day. Good for you.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2010, 2:01 PM   #15

I guess I've been lucky, ugh?!? I've broken many filters over the years (primarily from dropping them as I was trying to replace them quickly) but to me, a filter is not something I absolutely must have on that same day. Now, I'm not a professional but if I were, I'd have spare filters (at least the ones I'd consider crucial to get my work done) so I would not be in a situation where I had a wedding to photograph, my flash filter just broke and now I have to run to my local camera shop to buy one. Besides, no matter what the needs are, there are no guarantees that the local camera shop will carry the item you are in need for anyway. The little shops usually do not have a huge inventory. So, yes I feel sorry for them but money speaks louder and I have no $$$ to burn.

Tullio
Old Jul 11, 2010, 11:41 PM   #16

I guess I am with TCAV on this. I bought most of my big stuff from Adorama, but more and more I am shopping at my local camera shop. It is not as big as many, but they manage to stock most of the gear almost anyone one would want (stacks everywhere). The one thing they dont carry is Sigma, but then no one around here does. I can walk in and get anything from a P&S to a 1Dm4/3Ds (or pentax or sony) or almost any lens that I could name (200F2, 300 F2.8, 400F2.8 or the nikon eq). I guess the thing is that I know that basically anthing I need is available 2 miles from my house. They are about the same list price as the mail order stores, but I have to pay 9.5% tax. I will continue to give them business, maybe not all, but a lot.
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:01 AM   #17

I say it really does not matter where you get your gear, some feel just find going on line, some likes to go to a local shop. There really is no right or wrong. It is the individuals money, and they chose who where they want to spend their money.

But the emergency most of that stuff you can pick up at walmart, bestbuy or big consumer electronic shops actually. Like a flash, filters, extra batteries. So you really do not need a local shop. I been to camera shops out of NYC, and at times the local best buy has a bigger selection of stuff then the local camera shop. So that argument can be a moot point. It is the persons buying the product money. They make the final decision. Nothing wrong with online or local shop. Just what someone prefers.

And on a 1000 lens, 9.5% comes out to a extra 100 dollars almost. I normally just pay the taxes and I live in a state that require amazon to collect sales tax. But it does add up over time as you get more gear.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jul 12, 2010 at 6:33 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 8:11 AM   #18

Hmmm, guess I hit a nerve here...
Elmojunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post

And on a 1000 lens, 9.5% comes out to a extra 100 dollars almost. I normally just pay the taxes and I live in a state that require amazon to collect sales tax. But it does add up over time as you get more gear.
Yep, 9.5% is tough on big ticket items, I have to pay tax on Amazon as well.
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 6:36 PM   #20

For some you did hit a nerve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmojunior View Post
Hmmm, guess I hit a nerve here...

Last edited by shoturtle; Jul 12, 2010 at 11:47 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote