Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 8, 2010, 1:33 AM   #1

Default Not what camera, where to get the camera?

I have decided on a Canon T1i with the standard lense. I am not sure where to buy the camera from, I see lots of cheap places like Central Digital and Butterfly. I read in some other threads that these may be cameras not meant for sale in the US and I won't be getting warranty service should I need it. Are there any places to get a legit US camera with full warranty for less than MSRP ($699)? Are refurbished cameras a good idea?
thatoneguy92088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2010, 3:37 AM   #2

What has worked for me in the past is using google search and then clicking on "shopping". This brings up the current prices. I then select for the best prices and availability from B&H, Adorama, Beach Camera, Amazon, buydig.com, etc. I have heard that B&H along with Adorama sell both grey market along with regular market, but they tell you so that you can distinguish between the two, and select. You can also call them and they will help you. They are all well respected and just about everyone here has used them. I have done business with all of them and would not hesitate a moment doing business with any of them again.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ADgA#scoring=p

It is somewhat funny that once a camera is discontinued and replaced its price dips, then firms and usually then rises, since the stock is depleted - but for various reasons there is still demand.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 6:03 AM   #3

Before you buy, check out http:\\www.resellerratings.com

For instance:
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/central_digital
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/ButterFly_Photo

If you can find a camera you want, refurbished can be a good idea. Adorama sells factory refurbished Canon dSLRs at attractive prices with store warranties that are as long as the factory warranties on new products.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 8:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested_observer View Post
.....Adorama sell both grey market along with regular market, but they tell you so that you can distinguish between the two, and select. You can also call them and they will help you......
Adorama sells grey market lenses only - not bodies - and as you say are clearly marked as such. You are most welcome to email me directly for advice, and / or after-sales support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
........Adorama sells factory refurbished Canon dSLRs at attractive prices with store warranties that are as long as the factory warranties on new products.
We do indeed; 12 months return-to-Adorama-warranty. However, we don't carry out repairs - we simply send out a replacement!

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

HelenOster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 11:20 AM   #5

I would stick with the big name stores like B&H or Adorama, they may carry Grey market stuff, but it is easy to identify. I have had great experience with adorama.
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 3:50 PM   #6

Quote:
What has worked for me in the past is using google search and then clicking on "shopping". This brings up the current prices.
We've gotten reports of price inaccuracies from shopping sites, including google, too often for me to consider this reliable. I've also seen prices from various online shopping sites which guess at my location and add in s&h fees which are entirely inaccurate.

The only way to be sure you have accurate and timely price and availability info is to go the the retailer's site directly.

Quote:
I have heard that B&H ... sell both grey market along with regular market, but they tell you so that you can distinguish between the two, and select.
More accurately, B&H sells "grey market" film slrs, lenses and speedlights. We do not sell any "grey market" digital cameras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Before you buy, check out http://www.resellerratings.com
+1. Excellent site. Not perfect but far better than others in the same genre.

Last edited by henryp; Jul 9, 2010 at 11:08 AM.
henryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 11:52 PM   #7

Costco has the two-lens kit for $850 I believe. Just saw it a couple of days ago.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 8:26 AM   #8

Why not support some local small business? I actually paid less than big box stores and most online sources for my Nikon D5000 and more importantly (to me at least) I have a resource where I can ask questions and get hands on help from people who know photography. I appreciate shopping for price, but I still try to support small business when I can so I have a place to go to get questions answered and good advice. Of course forums like this are a great asset as well, just not the same as face to face...
Elmojunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 9:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmojunior View Post
Why not support some local small business? ...
Always an excellent idea. The personal attention and service you get is often worth the extra amount you might pay. And if you don't support your local photography store, where are you going to find those filters, neck straps, and camera bags you need in a hurry or need to try out before you buy.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 12:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmojunior View Post
Why not support some local small business?...
Well, the idea is good however most local businesses can't compete with Costco in any way, shape or form. If there was a local business who would offer 90-day return policy (no questions asked), a full blown 2-year warranty plus all the extra stuff you get from Costco kits for the same price, of course I'd support them. However, local businesses can't do that and even though I'd love to see them succeed, I need to look at my interests as well. I don't have money to burn. If the difference between Costco and local shops was exclusively $$$ and that difference was reasonable, it would be a different story but that's not the case. Unfortunately (for the local shop owners), that's the reality. It happens all over the place. And the thing is, not only the big chains are taking small local shops out of business...the internet plays a big role as well. For instance, in CA sales tax is an absurd 9.25%. I buy a $500 camera, I pay almost $50 in sales tax. Then I pay another 15% restocking fee in case I open the box and decide to return for whatever reason. I buy the same camera from Amazon and it will probably cost less than $500 to begin with. I don't have to pay for shipping or taxes and I can return it any time withing 30 days (open box or not) for a full refund. Sorry but I just can't afford supporting local businesses.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote