Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 9, 2010, 11:04 PM   #11

We are very careful with the camera - no dropping or banging as you mention. That's why I was shocked when it died. Had we dropped it or smacked it on something I can understand it not working, but that's not the case. My first camera (canon A40) is still taking pictures.

I'm a little hesitant to buy another Canon due to this one failing already, but maybe I'm overreacting.

I'm starting to lean towards an entry-level SLR. The Olympus E-620 looks appealing. We need a camera with manual focus because we take photos of corals & critters in our fish tanks, and the canon SD4000 that Sara Joyce recommended (based on my taking a lot of indoor photos of cats) doesn't have that feature.
PetMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2010, 11:19 PM   #12

If you are considering the E620, then perhaps you should look into the m4/3. The Oly EPL1 appears to be a great camera. I have the very first Oly m4/3, the EP1 and like it. The EPL1 is a more complete camera since it comes with built-in flash (the EP1 does not have a flash).

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2010, 11:51 PM   #13

That camera looks like a nice option. Certainly smaller and lighter than the e620.
I couldn't tell from reading the specs - can we be slightly zoomed in on something say 2 inches away and be able to manual focus?
Here's a typical picture of our coral - probably 2 inches from the camera. Hopefully the exif gives you some idea of what we were doing.
Attached Images

Old Jul 10, 2010, 1:48 AM   #14

I don't believe the 14-42mm can focus 2" from the subject. I don't have the Oly kit lens so I can't try. The Pana 14-45mm min focus distance is about 5".

Tullio
Old Jul 10, 2010, 10:50 AM   #15

PetMom-

Please keep in mind that when we begin the discussion of a DSLR like the E-600 or E-620 the price does escalate. If you focus in on an Oly EPL1 then the price becomes even higher, and beyond the kit lens, you will require a lens adapter to fit regular 4/3 lenses to the EPL1, another investment of $110 to $130.

The Oly 14-42mm (the EPL1 kit lens) will focus down to about 3 inches. However, using the Oly 35mm macro lens you will have to come in as close as 1.5 inches. You will also have much greater ISO capability and image sharpness.

Keep in mind that a Canon SD-4000 could do the job for well under 1/2 the price of the Oly EPL1 cost.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 12:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
... If you focus in on an Oly EPL1 then the price becomes even higher, and beyond the kit lens, you will require a lens adapter to fit regular 4/3 lenses to the EPL1,...
True and false with regards to the adapter beyond the kit lenses. True if you want to use 4/3 lenses but false because you don't have to use 4/3 lenses. You can buy dedicated m4/3 lenses instead, which obviously do not require any adapter.

Tullio
Old Jul 10, 2010, 12:37 PM   #17

Tullio-

Its a very minor point, and, I may indeed be wrong. However, I believe that if you want a Macro lens for the EPL1, then its the Oly 35mm Macro which indeed does require an adapter.

The other option is a legacy lens which would also require an lens adapter.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 3:34 PM   #18

Ok, I've returned from the fantasy of my being a "real" photographer and being able to use a DSLR to it's ability.

I've narrowed in on 3 choices:
Canon G11
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3
Canon SD4000

All are reasonably priced.
I think all of them will be able to take good macro photos of our coral tanks, quick indoor photos of my pets, and general outdoor/family event/vacation photos.

The Lumix and SD4000 have that fast 2.0 lens but the G11 reviews says it handles low light pretty well.
The G11 seems to be a more all-around camera, but has the added feature of tilt-o-LCD, which is really useful when getting down to floor level for cat photos.

Is there any obvious winner/loser, or does it just come down to price, style, personal preference in look & feel.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 4:13 PM   #19

Yes, I believe you're right with regards to the macro lens, Sarah (although Panasonic also have a macro 4/3 lens). And of course all legacy lenses will require the appropriate adapter depending on the mount.

Tullio
Old Jul 10, 2010, 4:14 PM   #20

Petmom, you might want to take a look at the Canon S90 as well. It's a similar camera to the Lumix LX3 but with a bit more zoom.

Tullio