Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 8, 2010, 9:07 PM   #1

Default Entry level DSLR

Would anyone be able to refer a entry level DSLR? My budget is a maximum of $750.00 and image stabilization is a must. I cant seem to choose one right for me. Thank you!!
pebblezs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2010, 9:10 PM   #2

what do you like to shoot,

The 750 is 1 or 2 lens kit
Old Jul 9, 2010, 5:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebblezs View Post
Would anyone be able to refer a entry level DSLR? My budget is a maximum of $750.00 and image stabilization is a must. I cant seem to choose one right for me. Thank you!!
Welcome to the forum. $750 will get you a good DSLR from
any of the main manufacturers. You budget allows you to
go one step above the basic entry level cameras like the
Canon XS, Nikon D3000, Sony A230.

I would be looking at the Canon T1i, Nikon D5000 and Pentax K-x.
AFAIK, all DSLRs in your price range have IS. Canon and Nikon
use stabilised lenses, Pentax, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic have
in-body IS.

When I was faced with the same choice of choosing my first
DSLR, I eventually chose to buy the Canon T1i(500D). In terms
of image quality, there is very little difference between the
Canon and similar models from Nikon, Pentax, Sony etc.
I made my choice based on the ready availability of a large
range of new and used lenses for the Canon. I also had a
slight bias towards Canon because two of my brothers
shoot Canon DSLRs.

Go to the camera shop to see how you like the look and
feel of the cameras you are interested in buying. Have a
look at the reviews and sample images on Steve's and
other sites and have a look at the camera comparison
page on flickr.

If you don't have them already, a good camera bag and
a tripod are essential. For longer trips, a spare memory
card and battery will also be useful.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2010, 5:47 AM   #4

There are a number of reasoms to select one dSRL over another.

Canon and Nikon (exceprt the D3000/D5000) have the largest selection of OEM and third party lenses and accessories, followed by Pentax and Sony and the Nikon D3000/D5000, then Olympus. If you have some fairly speciallized needs (or think you migh in the future) Canon and Nikon are good choices.

Canon and Nikon put image stabilization in some of their lenses, making them bigger, heavier, and more expensive than the non-stabilized counterparts, plus, since they haven't been around very long, there are few stabilized lenses on the used market. Pentax and Sony put image stabilization in the camera body, so all their lenses, OEM or third party, new or used, are stabilized on their camera bodies. And there are lots of lenses for Pentax and Sony on the used market, all of which will be stabilized. Olympus also puts image stabilization in most of their camera bodies, but since Olympus abandoned the mount their 35mm film cameras used, there are few Olympus lenses on the used market that will fit their dSLR bodies.

If cost is a concern, the used market is a great resource (it's a great resource, even if cost isn't a concern), and if you want a stabilized system, Pentax and Sony dSLRs can use 20+ year old lenses, and they'll be stabilized on those bodies.

But as has been said before, your choice should really come down to what you want to shoot, because there are some systems that are just better at some things than other systems, and knowing what you want to shoot will help us identify which system(s) will serve you best (or at least, which systems you should stay away from.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2010, 5:52 PM   #5

Hi all,

Thank you for the feedback and suggestions.

Basically I would like to upgrade from Canon Powershot SD800 to a dslr. I use my camera mostly when I'm on vacation and celebrations with my friends. It would be preferable to be able to shoot pictures at night without those little white dots. I'm not a camera suave person and would like to capture the best quality photo with an easy to use dslr that's cost efficient. I'm leaning towards the Canon XSi but I like the smallness of the Olympus Pen 2.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 6:16 PM   #6

The epl-1 is a bit better in low light then the olympus ep2. But to get good low light photos, you will need a bright lens. You will need the panansonic 20mm 1.7 lens with either olympus pens. As it is a micro 4/3 camera, all micro 4/3 lenses will work on it. I shoot a pen camera, and with the right lens, it does a nice job in the low light. The low light lens for the micro 4/2 system is about 370 dollars.

The XSi is a good camera also, but again you will need a low light lens, a inexpensive and decent lens for it is the ef 50mm 1.8, at 100 dollars.

Also consider the pentax K-x, it is a very good low light camera. And being able to shoot well at 3200iso, will let how off in getting a low light lens, as the pentax 50mm 1.4 is about 350 dollars.

Here are some samples of the olympus with the 20mm 1.7 and my canon T1i with the canon ef 50mm 1.4. The 1.4 is a higher grade lens, but you will need a bright lens to get good results at night.

Out of all the camera brands, the canon option will give you access to the lowest price low light lens that will fit in your budget

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/tr...ris-night.html

Last edited by shoturtle; Jul 11, 2010 at 6:20 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:21 PM   #7

Once again, thank you everyone for your feedback. These different type of lens are getting to technical for me but I completely understand the information you've provided. I've read the XSi is too bulky but then again if you opt to use a DSLR then the camera would be bulky.

Which Canon would you recommend that's not too costly?
Old Jul 13, 2010, 8:25 PM   #8

Shoturtle: I can see the difference between the two cameras and I like the outcome of the Canon shots. Although I really like the compactness of the Olympus pen. hmm...
Old Jul 13, 2010, 9:50 PM   #9

If you need very low light, the large sensor of a APS-c DSLR will give you better results.

But I travel allot, so I really love the compactness of the epl-1. I enjoy shooting very low light, so that is when I use the dslr. But for my daylight shooting, I fine myself using the epl-1 more and more. On my last trip, the epl-1 shoot most of what I took. And during daylight and normal low light the epl-1 does a really nice job for me.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ar...t-germany.html
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/tr...m-germany.html
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/tr...r-germany.html

Last edited by shoturtle; Jul 14, 2010 at 3:42 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 2:36 AM   #10

You might also consider the Olympus E-620. Compact, nice build quality, sharp photos, and a very handy flip screen. It's one of Steve's Best. The IS is built into the body. This means that you don't pay for it when buying lenses.

The E-PL1 is great... I have both. The E-620 is a better value if you want SLR quality. Well withing your budget with one lens and just over with 2. The E-PL1 will run you over budget with a viewfinder, and you will want one for sure. The E-620 does not shoot video, and the E-PL1 does. Mind you, my E-PL1 is going for repairs now because the video does not work properly.

You will have trouble finding filters for the E-PL1 lenses, no problem with the E-620.

If you are a "live view shooter", you will run the battery down quickly on the E-620 as in many SLRs, as the sensor stays constantly charged in this mode. With "EVIL" cameras, you won't get the battery drain as the mechanism is different. For myself, I really like a nice optical viewfinder that never fails, inside or out.

The SLRs will also give you full control over manual macro adjustments, which are not available on the E-PL1 - very annoying for me. I haven't found a way around it yet.

I like the intuitive feel of Canon menus over Olympus, but Oly can most definitely hold it's own for image quality against the mid-range APS-C's out there with their great lens and processor quality.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
photophreak is offline   Reply With Quote