Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 9, 2010, 10:32 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2
Default Camera for European Honeymoon

Hey all,

First off I'm pretty much new to cameras in general. I've got a sony cybershot point and shoot I got about 5 or so years ago, and pretty much never use it.

I'm getting married next summer and we're going on a month long trip to Europe(Ireland, London, France, Italy, Greece). We both really want to have nice pictures of our trip, and we'd also like the ability to take video.

We've set our camera budget at $750 or under. I've looked at a few reviews and done some price checking online and it seems like it would be hard to stay under that budget with a DSLR that is capable of video also.

A couple of options I've come up with would be to get the Canon EOS Rebel XS(newegg has a combo deal that comes with the camera with a 18-55m lens and a 55-250mm telephoto zoom lens for $580), and a small fairly cheap pocket camcorder(Haven't found many reviews on these). The other option would be to get a nicer point and shoot that is capable of video and the Sony HX1 seems to fit that bill.

In sum, we'd like to be able to take very nice images, while still being able to take decent video. Is there a nice option to fulfill both needs within our price range or do we need to plan on spending a little more?
trza3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2010, 10:48 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,093
Default

Of course, the most important thing to do is to make sure your memory card accepts metric pixels...
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2010, 10:58 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default

trza-

Welcome to the Forum. We're please that you dropped by.

When considering a travel camera, size is always a factor. If you are OK with the size of the Xs and an extra lens, it will work fine. Lots of folks want to travel a lot lighter, using something like a Canon G-11 or a S-90.

The newegg deal that you mentioned is a fairly good deal, however, you must consider that the XS is due for replacement. The Canon 55-250mm lens is a good one.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2010, 11:04 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
John.Pattullo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 613
Default

since its next summer your going i'd say wait, camera technology moves apace and what you will be able to get this time next year will likely be alot better than what you can get right now - specially in terms of high iso (low light) performance

and even if you dont need whatever advances are made in camera technology over the next year - you will be able to get this years models much cheaper then

so yeah my advice if your not interested in taking up photography as a hobby and are jsut wanting the camera for your honeymoon wait until month or so before you go and see whats on the market then
__________________
Flickr
PENTAX K-5 & PENTAX K-7
Pentax-DA 12-24mm f4 | Pentax-DA* 16-50mm f2.8 | Pentax-A 50mm f1.4 | Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro | Pentax-DA* 60-250mm f4 | Sigma 150-500mm
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2010, 11:09 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Pattullo View Post
since its next summer your going i'd say wait, camera technology moves apace and what you will be able to get this time next year will likely be alot better than what you can get right now - specially in terms of high iso (low light) performance

and even if you dont need whatever advances are made in camera technology over the next year - you will be able to get this years models much cheaper then

so yeah my advice if your not interested in taking up photography as a hobby and are jsut wanting the camera for your honeymoon wait until month or so before you go and see whats on the market then
I had considered waiting, but the more I thought it, the more I realized that I didn't want to be over there fiddling with a fairly new camera still trying to get used to it. We just got engaged and are wanting to start taking more photos and documenting our life together, so I figured now would be as good a time as any to learn.
trza3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2010, 11:39 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
shoturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Frankfurt AM
Posts: 11,348
Default

pentax k-x if you want a dslr with a 2 lens kit best budget dslr on the market with video, or look at a micro 4/3 like a epl-1, allot smaller and takes fantastic photos and video
__________________
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2010, 11:55 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trza3 View Post
Hey all,

First off I'm pretty much new to cameras in general. I've got a sony cybershot point and shoot I got about 5 or so years ago, and pretty much never use it.
Welcome to the Forum. If your old camera spent 5 years in a drawer
gathering dust, will the new one fare any better? If not, perhaps it
would be best to buy a cheap point-&-shoot.

Quote:
I'm getting married next summer and we're going on a month long trip to Europe(Ireland, London, France, Italy, Greece). We both really want to have nice pictures of our trip, and we'd also like the ability to take video.
That's quite a trip taking in Ireland and Greece! Some of the new
bridge cameras and mid-range DSLRs can record HD video.


Quote:
We've set our camera budget at $750 or under. I've looked at a few reviews and done some price checking online and it seems like it would be hard to stay under that budget with a DSLR that is capable of video also.
Canon T1i, Nikon D5000, Pentax K-x.

Quote:
A couple of options I've come up with would be to get the Canon EOS Rebel XS(newegg has a combo deal that comes with the camera with a 18-55m lens and a 55-250mm telephoto zoom lens for $580), and a small fairly cheap pocket camcorder(Haven't found many reviews on these). The other option would be to get a nicer point and shoot that is capable of video and the Sony HX1 seems to fit that bill.
That is one approach. Another option would be to buy a fairly good
bridge camera like the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ38. This produces
very good photographs and excellent 1280x720 video.

Quote:
In sum, we'd like to be able to take very nice images, while still being able to take decent video. Is there a nice option to fulfill both needs within our price range or do we need to plan on spending a little more?
The FZ38 is about $300. It seems to me that it would do everything
you want. A DSLR might do it slightly better, but I would hate to
see one lying in a drawer for the next five years

ps I forgot to mention, the FZ38 is called the FZ35 in the US.

Last edited by corkpix; Jul 9, 2010 at 11:58 AM.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2010, 1:26 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
shoturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Frankfurt AM
Posts: 11,348
Default

Bridge camera are convenient, but are not that great when shooting at night or in low light environment. If you can not put them on a tripod for a long exposure at night, you will not get great results. But they are very easy to travel with. If you are planning to shoot at night, and not have to bring a tripod with you, you will want to go with a dslr like the pentax k-x or a micro 4/3 camera.
__________________
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2010, 2:32 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default

I happen to agree with Corkpix-

A camera like the Panasonic FZ-35 mades a very useful travel camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2010, 3:00 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
skylark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 265
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Pattullo View Post
since its next summer your going i'd say wait, camera technology moves apace and what you will be able to get this time next year will likely be alot better than what you can get right now - specially in terms of high iso (low light) performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by trza3 View Post
I had considered waiting, but the more I thought it, the more I realized that I didn't want to be over there fiddling with a fairly new camera still trying to get used to it. We just got engaged and are wanting to start taking more photos and documenting our life together, so I figured now would be as good a time as any to learn.
If you can wait about 2 more months, there are two new cameras scheduled to be released soon that might be worth checking out. (Both cameras only have 5x zoom though)

* The Samsung TL350 (WB2000 outside of U.S.) rumored to be released in late July or August 2010.
http://www.samsung.com/sg/consumer/c...ype=prd_detail


* The Sony WX5 (European model number. Don't know of a U.S. model number yet) scheduled to be released in September 2010.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1007/10...ywx5tx9t99.asp


Sky

Last edited by skylark; Jul 9, 2010 at 3:03 PM.
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 5:42 PM.