Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 30, 2010, 5:56 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Ektachrome-

The theory is that Canon wants the replacement model for the S-90 in place, and on dealer's shelves in time for the 2010 Christmas market. However, that might be pushing the time frame a bit. If that theory was fact, the announcement should take place in the next month or so.

Keep in mind that the S-90 is selling fast and there is no sizable used market in S-90 cameras, that is what makes me, personally, think that the S-90's replacement could easily be put off a bit.

Sarah Joyce
Seems to me that if Canon wants to make a near perfect P+S then they need to address some of the the critical reviews regarding the flash and "wheel" as well as the slick grip. That said, I guess it comes down to the almighty buck. I think I'm hanging on to my sd 800 for a while. Thanks for the info.
Ektachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 6:32 AM   #22
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ektachrome View Post
Do you have any information when the next model of the S-90 may be released? Thinking that the slick finish, easily turned wheel and flash location
maybe addressed?
You throw those in as though it's universally agreed that these are major problems, which is certainly not the case.

I think the S90 is excellent. Perhaps very clumsy people find the ergonomics difficult. *shrug*
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:18 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
You throw those in as though it's universally agreed that these are major problems, which is certainly not the case.

I think the S90 is excellent. Perhaps very clumsy people find the ergonomics difficult. *shrug*
Guess the only way to see if ergonomics really bother me is to try one out at the store, something I'd rather avoid.
There have been quite a few mentions about ergonomics of this camera in the reviews I have read. I am assuming not all of them were written by clumsy people. Maybe they like me, have large hands

Well it's off the the camera store.

Last edited by Ektachrome; Jul 31, 2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:07 PM   #24

ektachrome-

Craig makes an excellent point. I have had my S-90 for over three months and I have never had a problem at all with the circular exposure compensation dial. The finish of the S-90 is very smooth, thus slippery, therefore adding a grip does make sense. I added the Franiec grip and it improved the camera handling a lot.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:23 PM   #25
Super Moderator

The whole point of the S90 is great image quality in a tiny package.

Slippery? Well it's made of plastic not rubber. No-one in my family (including a 6-year-old) has ever dropped it. Besides there is a wrist strap for safety.

The dial moves too easily? Well it's thin and tiny. It rotates easily, and I guess if you frequently move your fingers over the back of the camera in random patterns then you may inadvertently change settings.

The flash is nicely hidden when not in use, and although it does pop up from where you naturally rest your forefinger when it's retracted, it's certainly not a problem to move your finger. It gets very decent separation from the sensor/lens axis which really helps to reduce red-eye, and it's also quite powerful for such a small camera.

A reviewer's job is to look for problems, and make mountains out of molehills.

Wanting to avoid actually holding a camera before purchasing it is honestly the craziest thing I've ever heard. You should NEVER buy a camera before holding it in your hands and seeing whether you like the ergonomics.

The S90 certainly won't suit for everyone, but expressing an opinion on the ergonomics of a camera you've never held and won't buy because you've read a few reviews on the internet....?
Old Jul 31, 2010, 1:38 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
The whole point of the S90 is great image quality in a tiny package.

Slippery? Well it's made of plastic not rubber. No-one in my family (including a 6-year-old) has ever dropped it. Besides there is a wrist strap for safety.

The dial moves too easily? Well it's thin and tiny. It rotates easily, and I guess if you frequently move your fingers over the back of the camera in random patterns then you may inadvertently change settings.

The flash is nicely hidden when not in use, and although it does pop up from where you naturally rest your forefinger when it's retracted, it's certainly not a problem to move your finger. It gets very decent separation from the sensor/lens axis which really helps to reduce red-eye, and it's also quite powerful for such a small camera.

A reviewer's job is to look for problems, and make mountains out of molehills.

Wanting to avoid actually holding a camera before purchasing it is honestly the craziest thing I've ever heard. You should NEVER buy a camera before holding it in your hands and seeing whether you like the ergonomics

The S90 certainly won't suit for everyone, but expressing an opinion on the ergonomics of a camera you've never held and won't buy because you've read a few reviews on the internet....?
Touche. These are just my concerns not my opinion.
I guess what I really meant to convey is my desire to avoid the high pressure sales pitches and the sales person smarter then you attitude that is prevalent in my area of the world. This very website review on this camera made comments as to the location of the flash and some controls.

Like I said I'll have to check it out for myself after yours and Mtn. Climbers recommendations.
Thanks for input.

I wish the OP would post up some feedback on his new S-90

Last edited by Ektachrome; Jul 31, 2010 at 1:40 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 4:42 PM   #27

ektachrome-

Both Craig and I are S-90 owners and we made that quite clear to you. Can we help you?

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 5:10 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
ektachrome-

Both Craig and I are S-90 owners and we made that quite clear to you. Can we help you?

Sarah Joyce
Well it seems that neither of you have a problem with this camera.
It also apparent that you both have way more camera and photo processing software experience then the average P+S user.
I was looking for some amateur, man on the street comments.
This camera looks like a fine choice to replacement SD 800is.
Just hate getting anything that bugs me when I use it, as it will be a another "new toy" purchase for me (according to my wife) that I don't need
Old Jul 31, 2010, 6:36 PM   #29

Ektachrome, ergonomics - mainly the camera size, was one of the reasons I went for a G11, it felt better in my rather large hands. Another main reasons were a hot-shoe and a fully articulated LCD, there were a few lesser reasons as well
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2010, 2:52 AM   #30
Super Moderator

The S90 (or any camera) won't suit everyone. But there is lots of variety in the market and that's a good thing.

The S90 is small and gives super pictures, so much so that when my wife has her S90 I often think - do I really need to take the DSLR along?

Unless it's just small change for you then I really do believe that it's essential to actually hold a camera before you buy it.