Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 11, 2010, 4:46 PM   #1

Default Olympus E-PL1 vs. Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10...

Hello:

I posted last week about the Olympus E-PL1, the Canon T1i and the Nikon D5000.

I'm leaning towards purchasing an Olympus E-PL1, but have read online that the Panasonic Lumix GMC-G10 offers better manual controls and performance. The GMC-G10 also has an EVF.

Web site reviews rate the photo quality of the two cameras as nearly identical.

I live in Northern California and am having a tough time finding any camera store that carries the Panasonic G models. The E-PL1 is easy to find and feels good, if a bit small for my hands.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions...
FWSchreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2010, 5:04 PM   #2

The G10 is a much larger camera then the epl-1. As it like looks like a dslr. It is a good camera. But if you shoot in low light the olympus is the better low light m4/3 camera.

With the kit lens you are getting with the G10, the epl-1 kit zoom and the panny kit zoom are about equal. The oly is just a hair better, but the camera's correct for the lens.

With either camera, if you are looking at getting a pancake, skip the oly lens 17mm go with the panny 20mm.

Auto focus speed is about the same with the latest firmware updates olympus puts out.

If having local support is important, not having panny at local shops may not be a good idea. But you can always just deal directly with panny.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jul 11, 2010 at 5:14 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2010, 5:07 PM   #3

PS if you go with the olympus, the VF2 is well work getting. It is a excellent evf.

If you are not a raw shooter, the olympus jpeg engine is the best on the market. But if you are a big photo editor and raw shooter, it makes no difference.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jul 11, 2010 at 5:30 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2010, 11:41 PM   #4

Thanks for the feedback, Shoturtle. Since the G10 is much larger than the E-PL1, it would make sense to consider budget DSLRs as well, wouldn't you agree?

I like the feel of the Canon T1i, it's not as bulky as the Nikon D3000 or D5000. The picture quality of the T1i is very good, although not as sharp as the E-PL1.

It's a tough decision, which camera to buy!!!
FWSchreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 7:38 AM   #5

I like both the t1i and the epl-1. The canon is pretty sharp actually. It is really about the lens with sharpness. The olympus has the best kit lenses on the market.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 9:55 AM   #6

FWS-

The basic appeal of the Panasonic G-10, at first glance, is that it includes the EVF. But on closer inspection one comes to realize that this is the G-1 model revisited. The G-1, the first m4/3 camera, updated with the inclusion of with video. The G-10 is an attempt to to compete with the Oly EPL1 on price.

It was designed to appeal to the Panasonic faithful. However, rather than cutting new ground, it is a re-issue of the original model with only the inclusion of video to up date it. In addition to save production cost money, some of the G-1 features were deleted or diminished. For example while the fixed LCD screen has 460K pixel resolution, the EVF was reduced. The G-10's physical size, one of the basic premises of the m4/3 system was to reduce size, remains virtually as large as a OLY E-620, with no size savings.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:08 PM   #7

If you prefer EVF, then I say go with the Pana. The EVF for the EPL1 might be good but it's costly and it's another piece of equipment you have to carry with you (and be careful not to brake it by banging or getting it stuck somewhere as you put in and take out its camera bag). Yes the G is larger but not by much and it handles larger lenses much better giving you a lot more stability while shooting.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 5:51 PM   #8

Both are good camera, it comes down to what you need more. Low light or the built in EVF.

The oly removable evf comes in a pouch that you can attach to the camera strap. So you do not lose it. I leave it in there most of the time when I am transporting the camera and when it is in camera bag to prevent possible damage. The whole thing with the separate EVF is to make the system more compact for packing. As it ins my family's travel camera. It is a huge benefit to be able to get keep the system as compact as possible for our travels. We travel allot.