Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 14, 2010, 9:15 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
oh, and, they may not hate you now. but if you get another camera and want to return it, they will. i would bring that other d5000 and ask them to set the new one up the same way.
That's exactly what I'm afraid of Ha Ha! I appreciate your advice. The only thing is, my sister is 800 miles away. We were together on vacation, but not now. I asked her to email the pictures I liked, though.
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 9:16 PM   #92

Printing it out will really be a better comparison. I disagree that a 2000 what gives you the sharpness. It is all about the lenses. With a canon high grade lenses makes a huge difference.

I think it is more about learning the system, to get better results. And I agree, you will most likely have the same issues with the d5000. From you gull photo, you shot was sharper then your sister, the edges were better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javacleve View Post
hmmm, I didn't see how I could change the predefined ones, I'll take a look at that again...

I got a reprieve, I have 2 more weeks to decide. Went to the camera store today. He thought I was getting good detail and sharpness, so I'm not sure what I am unhappy with! LOL He told me to get my sister's original files and print them out to compare, because he said you really can't tell on a monitor with a compressed file. He thinks that is the main source of what I am seeing, what do you all think?
I pointed out some pictures on their wall which showed the "crispness" I am looking for, and he said it was taken with a $2000 lens.
Bottom line, he thought I was probably going have the same issues with the D5000 in Auto (though I'm skeptical, seeing my sister's pictures in Auto); but of course he's willing to exchange.

They hate me, I'm sure...I spend a year deciding, asking questions, etc. Finally buy one and go back to bother them some more! LOL
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:10 PM   #93

javacleve.to change the picture style go to menu then picture style then standerd and hit display to change the settings...hope it helps...i know i turned my sharpness up to 6..it might help
kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:12 AM   #94

Thanks, Kirby. I'm going to a butterfly garden today with the kids so I'm bringing my camera again. Haven't gotten the pics from my sis yet to compare. But the more I look at mine that the camera store printed (and he said they were sharp and had good detail), the less I like them. My husband asked why they were all so "dark." They just seem flat and blah, maybe cuz they are underexposed a little. Some of them were backlit, so I understand, but not all of them.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:07 AM   #95

In Austin where I live, there's a huge "trailer park" food culture. Food vendors set up mini-restaurants in either Airstream trailers or just boxes that they construct themselves, then they set these trailers up in some open field next to each other with some picnic tables, and open for business. Because they're not restaurants, they don't need as many permits, they don't have much overhead, and they can serve a very limited menu. Because it's Austin, we love them.

There's a food trailer called Lucky J's Chicken & Waffles. Foodies across the city raved about the fried chicken and waffles (particularly the fried chicken IN a waffle "taco"). We'd heard so much about the chicken, we made a special trip to the east side, walking couple of miles in the dark, to get our Lucky J's.

We got there and ordered, and everything was made fresh for us. But our order was just not very good. The breading on the chicken was interesting but overdone. The chicken wasn't particularly juicy, and the waffle was basically a homemade eggo. It was fine, but of course we all wanted to like it, because so many other people liked it.

Maybe your Canon is superior to your sister's Nikon. Maybe you just haven't noticed when the focus light flashes, maybe your sister's images are compressed on facebook and look sharper, maybe there's one setting on your sister's camera that makes all the difference in "auto".

Maybe it's all in your head; maybe there's something wrong with your camera. Who knows. The point is that, despite everything, you're frustrated with your camera. I'm not sure that frustration will ever go away; it sounds like it's burned in too dark.

Since you can actually return the camera, I would. Go with the Nikon; go with a Pentax K-x; if you're not doing much post-processing, get a really awesome Prosumer P&S with a great lens and super zoom. Even if the IQ isn't as good as the Canon can be, I bet you'll believe that it's better than what you're getting now. And if you find the right camera for your shooting style, it probably will be.

Best of luck to you.
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 5:18 PM   #96

If you are under exposing when not back light by a strong light source. There is something not set right with your T1i. The canon's tend to slightly over expose. As I shoot -1/3 ev most of the time outdoors.

I really would do a factory reset to the camera.

Quote:
Thanks, Kirby. I'm going to a butterfly garden today with the kids so I'm bringing my camera again. Haven't gotten the pics from my sis yet to compare. But the more I look at mine that the camera store printed (and he said they were sharp and had good detail), the less I like them. My husband asked why they were all so "dark." They just seem flat and blah, maybe cuz they are underexposed a little. Some of them were backlit, so I understand, but not all of them.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 5:28 PM   #97

Default Today's results

Thanks, shoturtle, I will read about how to do that.

Today I turned up the contrast (and the saturation just a bit), and brought out the 55-250mm lens for the butterfly garden. I am happier with the results. I am finding out that even at f8, the dof is extremely shallow (well, I am zoomed in quite a bit, too). So I shot AV, turned the aperture to f22 (or less, if I didn't have enough light). Had to turn the ISO to 3200 in order to get a good shutter speed, even though this was outdoors (it was in the shade). That surprised me a bit; I wonder if I will be able to get good gymnastics photos at f1.4 and 3200, zoomed out to 200mm--guess I'm going to have to get good at focusing FAST!

The one of the boy, again I get this feeling of softness on the face. I am wondering if it's the exposure, as the part in the sun looks fine to me. Maybe I'm just crazy LOL But I see a crispness on the table and tshirt collar, but not in his eyes.

These are completely unedited just to show what the camera is doing (other than resizing)
Attached Images

Last edited by javacleve; Jul 16, 2010 at 5:31 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 5:30 PM   #98

If you want to shoot in auto, but want dslr quality. The pentax k-x and the olympus e620 have more scene modes to chose form. And if you want the best out the camera jpeg photos. The olympus has the best jpeg engine on the market. They really do not need much editing, and are ready for printing right out of the camera. The pentax is better in low light then the olympus. Shooting well at 3200iso, while the e620 is good to 1600is.

Just something else to consider if you return the canon. These two cameras are way easier to transition from a point and shoot.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 5:35 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
If you want to shoot in auto, but want dslr quality. The pentax k-x and the olympus e620 have more scene modes to chose form. And if you want the best out the camera jpeg photos. The olympus has the best jpeg engine on the market. They really do not need much editing, and are ready for printing right out of the camera. The pentax is better in low light then the olympus. Shooting well at 3200iso, while the e620 is good to 1600is.

Just something else to consider if you return the canon. These two cameras are way easier to transition from a point and shoot.
If it wasn't for the desire to shoot gymnastics photos, I would have gotten the Olympus a year ago! Maybe, at this point, I should just give up that idea, because I may find that I can't get good photos anyway (with my lack of skills, I mean--the shallow dof necessitating very precise and quick focusing)!
Old Jul 16, 2010, 5:38 PM   #100

There is no lens at 200mm that has a perture of f1.4. The closes if f2.8 and that lens it 1700 dollar to start.

Quote:
Thanks, shoturtle, I will read about how to do that.

Today I turned up the contrast (and the saturation just a bit), and brought out the 55-250mm lens for the butterfly garden. I am happier with the results. I am finding out that even at f8, the dof is extremely shallow (well, I am zoomed in quite a bit, too). So I shot AV, turned the aperture to f22 (or less, if I didn't have enough light). Had to turn the ISO to 3200 in order to get a good shutter speed, even though this was outdoors (it was in the shade). That surprised me a bit; I wonder if I will be able to get good gymnastics photos at f1.4 and 3200, zoomed out to 200mm--guess I'm going to have to get good at focusing FAST!

The one of the boy, again I get this feeling of softness on the face. I am wondering if it's the exposure, as the part in the sun looks fine to me. Maybe I'm just crazy LOL But I see a crispness on the table and tshirt collar, but not in his eyes.

These are completely unedited just to show what the camera is doing (other than resizing)