Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 16, 2010, 5:41 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
There is no lens at 200mm that has a perture of f1.4. The closes if f2.8 and that lens it 1700 dollar to start.
Hmm, that's not how I remember the conversation a year ago...
if all that's available at 200mm is f2.8, I'm not sure I will get gymnastics photos, then. Because at f5.6, ISO3200 in the shade (outdoors), my shutter speeds were fairly low (I don't recall exactly, but nowhere near 1/500)...f2.8 is only going to gain me one stop, right?
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 5:46 PM   #102

it gives you almost 3 stops from 2.8 to 5.6. But if you can not get close for a ef 85mm 1.8 USM or 85mm 1.4 that sigma is coming out with or if the lighting is decent you may be able to get away with a ef 100mm f2 USM or the ef 135mm f2L USM. It may be difficult with a the ef 70-200mm 2.8L IS USM, you will most likely have motion blur without a flash, or if the lighting is really poor.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 5:49 PM   #103

Quote:
it gives you almost 3 stops from 2.8 to 5.6. But if you can not get close for a 85mm 1.8 or 1.4 that sigma is coming out with or if the lighting is decent you may be able to get away with a 100mm f2. It may be difficult with a the ef 70-200mm 2.8L IS USM, you will most likely have motion blur without a flash, or if the lighting is really poor.
looks like I need to go back and read about stops I thought doubling = one stop.
But at any rate, if that is the case I might as well give up the idea of gymnastics photos...if I couldn't even get great photos in bright sunlight coming down a waterslide, I know I won't get great photos indoors doing gymnastics. Granted, they would be better than my P&S, but maybe not worth the price of the lens....arrgh, why did I think there was a lens that would work for me???
Old Jul 16, 2010, 5:52 PM   #104

With the water slide, the ef-s 55-250mm is not really suite for that, as it does not focus that fast. The ef 70-300mm would do a better job.

But you really did not have to shoot at 3200 iso, for your outdoor shot, there seems to be enough light.

Can you go into you menu, go to fnc and read me off the settings form 1-13, something does not seem.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 6:06 PM   #105

Quote:
With the water slide, the ef-s 55-250mm is not really suite for that, as it does not focus that fast. The ef 70-300mm would do a better job.

But you really did not have to shoot at 3200 iso, for your outdoor shot, there seems to be enough light.

Can you go into you menu, go to fnc and read me off the settings form 1-13, something does not seem.
For the water slide I did not use 3200ISO, I just meant that the shutter speed of 1/500 was not enough to make it really sharp (though, not awful--it was an acceptable photo for memory-making It was not the zoom lens.
Or, are you talking about the outdoor butterfly photo?
In the menu, what is fnc? I don't see that one...do you mean CfnII?
Old Jul 16, 2010, 6:08 PM   #106

sorry type, yes cfn II, when you go in there you will see 13 settings. Can you give tell me what they are set too?
Old Jul 16, 2010, 6:10 PM   #107

If you mean CfnII, here's what they say: 0 0 0 2 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Exposure level increments -- 1/3 stop
ISO expansion -- off
Flash sync speed in AV mode -- Auto
Long exp noise reduction -- On (I did this for the fireworks)
Hish ISO speed noise reduct'n -- Disable
Highlight tone priority -- Disable
Auto Lighting Optimizer -- Standard
AF-assist beam -- Enable
Mirror lockup -- Disable
Shutter/AE lock button -- AF/AE lock
Assign SET button -- Quick Control screen
LCD display when power on -- Display
Add original decision data -- Off
Old Jul 16, 2010, 6:12 PM   #108

to clear out all the camera setting back to factory default, right under the custom function there is a clear setting tab. Go there, and there is a clear all camera settings. Hit that and you will get the camera back to factory default.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 6:17 PM   #109

one of the reason you are losing some detail and sharpness at 3200iso is because the noise reduction for high iso is on. That can cause you shot to look a bit flat.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jul 16, 2010 at 6:30 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 6:21 PM   #110

Quote:
one of the reason you are losing some detail and sharpness at 3200iso is because the noise reduction for high iso is no. That can cause you shot to look a bit flat.
Really? I thought it would be the opposite from what I read...the noise reduction software can make your pictures SOFTER, I thought. Since I knew I wanted CRISPER, I turned it off. What am I missing?

I cleared the settings, by the way.