Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 16, 2010, 7:30 PM   #111

I would do a factory reset, that I posted form the early post, and try these setting. You may get better results.

and on one of your user define picture style to the following, up your sharpness to 6, and contrast, color tone and saturation to +1. I shoot this one allot. Not to much editing need afterward. I am not a Post Production fan. And when I am really lazy, I set sharpness to 7, contrast and saturation to +3 and color tone to +2. You should get better out the camera with one of these 2 settings.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 7:34 PM   #112

Noise reduction cause you to loose some details. You get less noise the but the allot of details are lost.

Look at this thread between the t1i and pentax k-x. The pentax has more noise reduction. That is why you get a cleaner image, but less detail with the pentax, and more noise and more detail with the canon.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...canon-t1i.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by javacleve View Post
Really? I thought it would be the opposite from what I read...the noise reduction software can make your pictures SOFTER, I thought. Since I knew I wanted CRISPER, I turned it off. What am I missing?

I cleared the settings, by the way.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 7:56 PM   #113

yes, that's what I thought...that's why I turned it off. Figured I could pp the noise. But you are saying that it's flat with it turned off? Why?
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 7:58 PM   #114

You have it on, not off form your post. I leave it on auto, if the light gets really low then it applies, but if the light is good. NR is not applies. I would leave it in auto or off. Not on.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 8:04 PM   #115

I think I'm confused, cuz I see it as off:
"Hish ISO speed noise reduct'n -- Disable"

The "Long exposure noise reduction" is On, but I thought that would only come into play if I was using Bulb (like for the fireworks) or similar long exposures?
Old Jul 16, 2010, 8:06 PM   #116

which number are we talking about, we may be a bit confused. Also did you do the firmware upgrade to the T1i? There was one release back in feb.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 8:15 PM   #117

I think I am talking about 4 and you are talking about 5. I leave some noise reduction because to much noise can cause the the edges look soft with it off form the noise. I would go with low or standard depending on when you are shooting, in very low light standard, and regular lighting on low.

I shoot in very low light allot, so I put it on standard allot.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 8:25 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
which number are we talking about, we may be a bit confused. Also did you do the firmware upgrade to the T1i? There was one release back in feb.
If I just bought the camera 2 weeks ago, would it still need that upgrade? I didn't do anything.
I turned the High ISO noise reduction to Low instead of Off, and the other settings that you suggested (Long Exposure NR to Auto). Thanks!
Old Jul 16, 2010, 8:29 PM   #119

at the same part in the menu, if the firmware is not 1.1.0 then it need to be upgrade. The camera could have been shipped before the upgrade, and it can take a bit of time to get into the supply chain from when it was shipped. So it may need a upgrade even if your brought it 2 weeks ago. My brother brought his dslr 6 months after pentax announce the upgrade. And he had to upgrade it.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 8:30 PM   #120

Maybe the next thing I need to do is somehow get into a gymnastics setting and see what it does there; I don't have the fast lens yet but maybe I can get an idea of what my shutter speed is now (and calculate what it would be with the f2.8--see if it's at least 1/500) and what I can get at 200 mm (in our gym, at least).