Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 16, 2010, 7:31 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
at the same part in the menu, if the firmware is not 1.1.0 then it need to be upgrade. The camera could have been shipped before the upgrade, and it can take a bit of time to get into the supply chain from when it was shipped. So it may need a upgrade even if your brought it 2 weeks ago. My brother brought his dslr 6 months after pentax announce the upgrade. And he had to upgrade it.
Ok, I'll check, thanks!
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 7:34 PM   #122

If you need to upgrade, this thread has the canon link. It is very easy to do, just make sure you have a fully charged battery. Also you will have to reset to settings again. The upgrade will put the camera back to factory defaults.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ca...1-1-0-t1i.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by javacleve View Post
Ok, I'll check, thanks!
Old Jul 17, 2010, 4:42 PM   #123

shoturtle, my firmware was good
I did the reset and settings you described--here are today's photos. The first couple were on Closeup setting, so I'm not sure if that means it was using the changes in the settings or not? Some were on Av, so definitely using your prescribed settings. Not sure I see a difference. These were all on ISO100, f5.6, with varying shutter speeds; mostly at 55mm.
The major thing I am running into is dof. I always thought you should focus on the closest thing in order to get the biggest dof, but now I'm seeing that doesn't work. Some pics I didn't post have petals in focus but not the center of the flower, for example.
What do you think of these? I think I like the colors in the sunny one better than the shade, but I always hear that isn't correct...

ETA these are unedited again; I know I could improve them
Attached Images

Last edited by javacleve; Jul 17, 2010 at 4:45 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 4:48 PM   #124

These are sharp just looking at it, the color is nice also. did you pick your af points or was it auto.

Yes you are running into dof issues with the wider aperture with macro. I shoot at 7.1 to 8 allot if I want more dof for hand held macro. For more dof macro you will need a tripod so you can shoot at smaller apertures like f11-f13.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 5:04 PM   #125

Also remember since you are not using a true macro lens, you are not going to get as good macro. These are good close up with the kit lens imho.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 4:46 PM   #126

current update: I got the files from my sister, and there is one shot in particular which is very similar (we were next to each other), and everyone who has seen them on my computer screen has agreed that hers is CLEARLY sharper, crisper, whatever word you want to use. I need to print them out to be fair, but I have a strong feeling that I will be trading this puppy in. Especially because you can change the af point even in full Auto.

The question is, should I get the D90 instead? I do think it's too big for me, so that's the main drawback. But I'm trying to find examples of sports photography with the D5000 and not having any luck. I know the lens choice is limited to the AF-S on the D5000, but the camera store guy said that they really aren't hard to find anymore. So the question becomes the cost of a GOOD AF-S lens for gymnastics, and whether the focusing is fast enough...
If anyone knows of anyone who used the D5000 for indoor sports, please let me know!
TIA!
Old Jul 19, 2010, 4:49 PM   #127

I would get the d90 over the d5000 without a second thought as my personal opinion. It is a much better camera. You just do not have the tilt screen. But I do not know if the full auto is set up the same way as the d5000.

Well if you need a fast prime, you still will not have any 1.4 or 1.8 or f2 from 85mm - 135mm. As there is not AF-s prime available. And if the light is low then you will need 1.8 or better over 2.8 with a zoom.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jul 19, 2010 at 4:52 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 4:56 PM   #128

Just hope you know, it is the lens that will affect sharpness, not the body. The kit lens of the d5000 and the d90 are not the same. The d90 has a 18-105mm lens as it's kit.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 4:56 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
These are sharp just looking at it, the color is nice also. did you pick your af points or was it auto.

Yes you are running into dof issues with the wider aperture with macro. I shoot at 7.1 to 8 allot if I want more dof for hand held macro. For more dof macro you will need a tripod so you can shoot at smaller apertures like f11-f13.
I picked my af points.
I saw some pictures my cousin took at f2.8 in a store of Christmas ornaments, and he seemed to get a deeper dof at f2.8 than I'm getting at f5.6?? Could it be his lens and/or camera (I think it's a higher model Canon)?
Old Jul 19, 2010, 4:58 PM   #130

It is the lens, not the camera.

Here are some samples I took with my T1i with the canon 28-135mm. Every lenses is different. As I really do not use the kit lenses unless I am traveling as they are smaller and lighter. The ef 28-135mm IS USM is my walk around zoom.