Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 19, 2010, 5:59 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Just hope you know, it is the lens that will affect sharpness, not the body. The kit lens of the d5000 and the d90 are not the same. The d90 has a 18-105mm lens as it's kit.
Yes, I do understand that. It's part of my concern--if the results on Auto with the D90 will be the same as the D5000. But, also, because my finger seemed stretched on the D90, so I am concerned that it will be too uncomfortable to actually use it...
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 6:01 PM   #132

Quote:
It is the lens, not the camera.

Here are some samples I took with my T1i with the canon 28-135mm. Every lenses is different. As I really do not use the kit lenses unless I am traveling as they are smaller and lighter. The ef 28-135mm IS USM is my walk around zoom.
OK, so gone are the days of comparing apertures and dof's with any reasonable ability?? arrggh.

Also, with the non-AF-S lenses, I could focus manually, right? I used to do that, anyway...don't know how fast I can do it any more but it might be doable.
ETA I thought 85 mm was too short for gymnastics, anyway, and that I should be looking for at least 200mm??

Last edited by javacleve; Jul 19, 2010 at 6:03 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 6:04 PM   #133

Yes, but it is really a pain to focus manual. It will not work well at for action and gymnastics. You my just get lucky, but you will get allot of oof shots trying to shoot in manual. Especially since no of the dslr have the focus aid of a split prism anymore. Personally I would not use manual focus expect for when I am shooting set shots for fun.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 6:08 PM   #134

With dof, you need to remember the canon is a 1.6x sensor, and the nikon is a 1.5x sensor. So there is a little difference at f3.5 and f5.6 also, besides the lens design.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 6:20 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by javacleve View Post
...I thought 85 mm was too short for gymnastics, anyway, and that I should be looking for at least 200mm??
Look at the airplane pics exif. some are done at less than 200mm. 85 may be too much. it may be too little. figure out what width you need to cover at what distance. let's say 4 feet at 25 feet. I was looking around for a calculator and found this one. it uses meters.
http://www.mylensdb.com/fov-calculator/
With some of your own quick tests you may discover that this will help you decide what lens to use
Try the calculator yourself.
Attached Images

frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 6:22 PM   #136

like frank pointed out, it depends on where you are in relation to you subject. 200mm can to to long.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 6:24 PM   #137

I'm back too.. I also just brought a canon camera. I thought it was interesting....hotels las vegas
- call tracking

Last edited by KoryLGriffin; Jan 12, 2011 at 3:09 PM.
KoryLGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 6:27 PM   #138

Quote:
like frank pointed out, it depends on where you are in relation to you subject. 200mm can to to long.
Thanks, Frank and shoturtle...I was going by what JohnG had said (he has taken some gymnastics photos). I am not real familiar with meters, but the distance from the stands to the floor is quite large...in our gym, it is on top of the viewing room, so that's 9+ feet up to start with...then the floor is quite wide so shots on the other side will be pretty far. That's at our gym, some of the others are set up even further away.
However, I know I will want a zoom, not a prime 200mm...
Old Jul 19, 2010, 6:28 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryLGriffin View Post
I'm back too. I also just brought a canon camera. I thought it was interesting....
LOL Have you used it yet?
Old Jul 19, 2010, 6:30 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by javacleve View Post
... I know I will want a zoom, not a prime 200mm...
You might want to try one first. a zoom, especially at the longer side, will have a smaller aperture (unless you have lots of money). you may not have enough light. bumping iso will help. maybe enough. i don't know.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote