Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 19, 2010, 9:36 PM   #161

I'm not sure what Sarah was saying was the problem? If you can adjust the aperture and/or the ISO, why doesn't this lens work in variable lighting?
Also, I thought the T1i has 3200 available on the dial; only 6400 and 12800 are in the expanded menu. What do you mean by needing to lock it?
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 9:40 PM   #162

with the d5000 and d90 or the T1i, if you set the camera to shoot at 3200iso, and shoot in Av mode at 2.8. If the light get to bright all of the sudden, the camera my not be able compensate with just shutter speed, as it max out at 1/4000 sec. Because, it is set on 3200iso and f2.8, and you may not have enough time to change any setting if it is a action shot. That is all. With a auto iso that goes to 3200iso, the camera can still lower the iso, and increase the shutter speed. And you should be able to get a properly expose shot.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 9:55 PM   #163

actually I have had the sudden burst of light over expose my shot badly. A spot light turn on as I was shooting a burst, the shots was extremely over exposed.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 10:15 PM   #164

ah, thanks...that makes sense. I am not familiar with the auto ISO.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 10:16 PM   #165

If you have not change it, then you have it on auto. that is factory default
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:37 AM   #166

I have read this with interest I am assuming that you are in jpeg for your pictures. This means you are at the using the picture stile that you have dialed in, as all ready said this can be altered or you can set your own. Your sister has a nikon and she shoots in jpeg and you prefer what you see from her output. Your concern is they look flat. I would look at my settings af set it manual and choose the centre point focus on someone eyes and and try it at f7.1, metering mode try centre weighted iso keep it low as possible for really sharp pictures. looking at your flash settings you have them in auto canon flash will only add fill in to ttl metering taken through the lens, this can be altered. hope this helps
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:16 PM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave01 View Post
I have read this with interest I am assuming that you are in jpeg for your pictures. This means you are at the using the picture stile that you have dialed in, as all ready said this can be altered or you can set your own. Your sister has a nikon and she shoots in jpeg and you prefer what you see from her output. Your concern is they look flat. I would look at my settings af set it manual and choose the centre point focus on someone eyes and and try it at f7.1, metering mode try centre weighted iso keep it low as possible for really sharp pictures. looking at your flash settings you have them in auto canon flash will only add fill in to ttl metering taken through the lens, this can be altered. hope this helps
Yes, we are both using jpg. The one BIG beef I have with the T1i is that in Auto mode I CANNOT choose center point focus; it will ONLY do the automatic 9 point focus. On the D5000, you CAN choose single point focus even in Auto. Also, the D5000 was not changed at all (it was in Auto or Sports mode). So while I know that the settings can be changed on the T1i, I'm wondering why I should NEED to do that to avoid flat looking pictures, and whether it still will have the quality that the D5000 has. I like your suggestion about the center weighted metering mode, I hadn't read all the different modes to decide if I should change that, but I did try changing it for a couple pictures at least.
I'm not sure I follow you on the flash settings...what do you mean that it will only add fill in to the ttl metering?
I used the flash today as a fill in in a backlit situation and tried the suggestions of underexposing in order to not be too bright--that did help, although I had to try it on several different adjustments to get a good exposure--sometimes the same setting still overexposed one picture but was just right on another (there were differences in the composition). So by the time I would figure that out, I would lose the shot!
ETA One thing I have to admit is that I keep forgetting when I change something, to turn it back when I'm done. I was taking pics in a cavern today with weird colored lighting, so I was trying different white balances. Forgot to reset it and a picture I took of a building later is FUNKY looking LOL. Can't even edit it to correct it (at least with my program). I think it was also overexposed because I also forgot to reset the ISO (from 3200 in the cavern). D'oh
Old Jul 21, 2010, 4:20 AM   #168

I understand what you are going through, every camera is different in the way it is set up. I have the 550d which is slightly different from the 500d but with mine I agree in auto mode it does just takes over. to get some more control you need to be in P mode this will let you change focus points and metering modes, well it does on mine.
As for the flash you have yours set in the custom functions o auto in av mode, this means it will meter through the lens and then add the flash as it needs it so you could end up with slow sync speeds, I set mine to 1 which sets a speed of 60th to 200th, now you cant get a fast sync off that or a slow sync but at those speeds you can hand hold the camera. Try this link its is a lot of reading but then flash is an art in its self.
http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/
Do you use any filters on your lenses.
try taking a raw picture and a jpeg together i know i can do it on mine you can then use dpp to see the difference in the jpeg comression. Have you read any reviews on the two cameras, the ones I have seen have the 2 very close, these were in my mix when i did my reseach for a new camera, as i said before i got the 550d.
Try and get a raw picture of the same object from the nikon and yours then compare that. good luck
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2010, 5:25 PM   #169

It's done! I just got home with my D5000 and the battery is charging. I worked with the guy at the camera store with the similar photos, and even trying to adjust mine, he agreed that it didn't look like my sister's...then we figured out that she probably had hers set to Vivid picture style. That is not an option on the Canon and there's no way to really change the settings to imitate it (somewhat, by increasing the saturation, but it's not exactly the same)...so that sealed the deal.
As for the lack of focusing motor, any lens that's long enough for me to use in gymnastics has the motor in it anyway. The longest prime is 85mm at f1.4, and that's not quite long enough. It's really not going to be perfect, anyway, then, so I might as well get the features of the D5000.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 6:13 PM   #170

Well glad you got the camera that you prefer. That is the most important thing.

With the vivid setting, most dslr users leave them neutral so that they can add that themselves in post production. It comes down to personal preference actually.

Actually the longest prime you can get the the AF 135 f2, and it will not work on the d5000 neither will the AF 105 f2. But if you are getting the sigma 70-200mm 2.8 without OS. Then it does not matter.

Well I am glad you got the one that your heart seem set on. That is the most important thing that you get the one you want, as you will be the one shooting the camera.