Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 13, 2010, 4:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
don't shoot in full auto, shot in P, it will let you pick your focus point and still be auto ever thing else.
I don't think it's full auto over everything else in P, because I took a picture of my living room in P and it did not pop up the flash, but in Auto it did. Auto is the only mode that seems to pop up the flash without being told.

This is only one of my issues. One other example, is it took some slow synch flash pictures and I have no idea why. I'll post one in a minute. I turned Red Eye to OFF so that was not it.
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 4:23 PM   #12

in P you choose weather you want to use a flash. Any of the scene mode will pop up the flash also if the camera determines it needs more light.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 4:25 PM   #13

Here is the slow synch picture...other pictures a few minutes later did not do this. This was in Auto, btw

oh, and my sister tried using the T1i and didn't get better results, although she wasn't familiar with it to be sure.
Attached Images

Old Jul 13, 2010, 4:31 PM   #14

This one seems like it should have been an easy picture, but I took several of this same scene from different angles, etc. and this was the best one. Perhaps it was focusing on the wrong thing? Seems like the dof is extremely shallow (but I think that just comes with the territory of a dSLR?)
Attached Images

Old Jul 13, 2010, 4:32 PM   #15

Quote:
in P you choose weather you want to use a flash. Any of the scene mode will pop up the flash also if the camera determines it needs more light.
hmm, I don't think it EVER did that. Even in low light, and even when the shutter speed was very low. I guess it technically was able to get a photograph without the flash but it was blurry. I could be wrong, though; things are starting to blur together now. I thought I'd be able to tell what setting I had it on when I looked at the exif data, but my program isn't showing that.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 4:33 PM   #16

Where you trying to get motion blurr with this shot, you were really shooting at a long shutter speed. 1/6 of a second all motion will be blur, and any camera shake will show up.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 4:36 PM   #17

With this shot it is hard because you are shooting against a bright background. I would have use the internal flash as a filler flash. It would have given you better results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javacleve View Post
This one seems like it should have been an easy picture, but I took several of this same scene from different angles, etc. and this was the best one. Perhaps it was focusing on the wrong thing? Seems like the dof is extremely shallow (but I think that just comes with the territory of a dSLR?)
Old Jul 13, 2010, 4:36 PM   #18

Now here is a picture of a seagull flying overhead; I used shutter priority because I was noticing blur. The better picture is my sister's; unfortunately there is no camera data because I saved it from facebook. Again, she claims she is only using Auto mode (or perhaps beach or sports)
Attached Images

Old Jul 13, 2010, 4:37 PM   #19

Quote:
With this shot it is hard because you are shooting against a bright background. I would have use the internal flash as a filler flash. It would have given you better results.
I see what you mean, though any time I tried that it REALLY washed the picture out.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 4:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Where you trying to get motion blurr with this shot, you were really shooting at a long shutter speed. 1/6 of a second all motion will be blur, and any camera shake will show up.
That was my point: it was in Auto mode and it did that on its own. I definitely wasn't trying to get blur; nor did I choose 1/6 sec. Why it would do that is beyond me!